Our 6x10 Wells Cargo

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Our 6x10 Wells Cargo

Postby mike505 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:35 pm

After much lurking, reading, drooling, and such I finally have something to post. :thumbsup:

We bought this trailer(91 Wells Cargo 6x10) about 4 years ago with the thought of converting it then. It was previously used as a pit trailer for an RC Oval Cars race team. Plans changed and we bought a camper.

Fast forward to now. The camper is long gone and we are done moving(I hope). The little trailer is no longer being used as a shed and since we sold our restaurant we are unemployed and have some free time finally. :) (Anybody that wants to open a restaurant, even a franchise, let me give this.....DON'T DO IT! It will suck the life right out of you.) :?

Bear in mind that we built most of the inside with lumber we had on hand and we are not carpenters. It was pre-wired and already had the AC unit. The fridge we bought right after we bought the trailer.

Pics from when we bought it.

Pics during the conversion.

:oops: I thought I had more construction pics but I will go out and take some more tomorrow. We camped in it a month ago and it worked out great. We aren't done but it's usable. Still needs cabinets, galley work, the outer skin cleaned of the old vinyl letters, and lots of little things. I do wish it had barn doors or that the existing door hinged up. I'm thinking that would have to be one heck of a hinge.

Thanks for looking,

Mike
mike505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mdvaden » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Looks good.

Not sure about others, but my 6 x 12 had room for a big long shelf overhead of the bed which is in back. I put one across the very back side to side for short stuff like camping chairs or blankets, and one running from it along the side to the front door.

Also have another shelf along the same side - the door side, just at the bottom of the window, which I mounted my DVD player to and TV. We also hook up to cable when available.

That way we lead on pillows with our backs or heads at the rear door area, and face the TV ahead and to the right, as it's just between the window and the side door.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:21 am

Did you remove the lettering on the side. I have a very nice carson cargo that i have had lettering on for the last 5 years. I own a plumbing company and do not use the trailer any longer for work, but would like to make it a small camper for my son and I on our father and son camping trips and hunting trips. I have a 27 foot rv trailer for family trips but it is to big for those little trips i make with him.

So i am looking for ideas on removing the lettering with out damage done to the trailer paint.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mike505 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Things have been a little crazy and I haven't gotten the rest of the pics I wanted. It's full of kitchen cabinets at the moment.

mdvaden - Ours has bunks so I don't have room for a shelf over the bed but there is room on the front wall.

ARIZONA GUIDE - Goo-Gone or rubbing alcohol. The alcohol actually works real well. Try to get the letters off with a heat gun and then use a plastic putty knife and rubbing alcohol. This tip was told to me by someone who does vinyl lettering. She also told me that the heat gun wasn't mandatory but would help. I bought a heat gun but haven't gotten any more work done. What we removed was done with goo-gone and then we switched to alcohol. Most of our lettering is so old it almost flakes off.
mike505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sseaman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:42 pm

mike505, mdvaden, do you guys have some more pics of your trailers? Im trying to sell my wife on the idea, and pics would help. I got her to go camp in an old popup, but only spent $200 for that project
sseaman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:45 am

So the goo gone and alcohal will not remove the paint from the trailer. I do not want to damage the paint. I guess i could call the company that put it on for me and see what they will do to remove it.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:50 am

Have you tried a light buffing compound ? Polishing compound is even less aggressive and should buff thur the lettering. The trick is to stop before you buff thru the paint too :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mike505 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:46 pm

Neither goo-gone or alcohol has rubbed thru my paint.

I also still don't have any more pictures. I need to get the kitchen cabinets out of it to get some more.
mike505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Well i took off one small part and you can tell it had a decal in that spot because it is way white compared to the rest of the trailer. I will most likley have to leave the trailer the way it is or it will still say the stuff anyways. I guess i could take it down and have earl shive paint it for cheap after i remove the stickers.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Removing vinyl lettering/decals

Postby Prem » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:16 am

I used to be in the sign business, so here's the trick: Park it in the sun, let it get hot and work up a corner with your fingernail, then peel off. As for the discoloration problem, cover with a larger decal or have a sign shop put on a solid stripe (any width/any length) that covers the problem area.

You could also mask and paint your own stripe or graphics on the problem area. If you're a gonzo hunter, you could go down to the Ace Hardware and get their camo-in-cans paint and make it a stealth trailer for camping in the woods. That would be the perfect touch to go with the gun turret.

8)

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Wimperdink » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:23 pm

peel the stickers and buff the whole trailer to get rid of the lettering.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions