7'X14' custom cargo build out update & questions **pleas

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

7'X14' custom cargo build out update & questions **pleas

Postby The Blue Max » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:01 pm

October 1st it is expected in my garage and I've picked up a handful of items to install/finish and can hardly sit still until it gets here. I've picked up dual Maxx Air vents, thermal window treatments to make/sew window covers via velcro strips for all windows and roof vents, 2000 watt Xantrex power converter (no brainer for coffee maker, grinder, micro, etc) had my Uniden CB peaked & tweaked with new crystals and obtained a 102'' steel whip, Mr Heater Big Buddy Heater (indoor approved), C02 & propane sniffers (no brainer too), Queen mattress, laminate hard wood flooring(front half), carpet and padding (rear sleeping half), fresh water storage tank & pump(approx. 40 gallongs and will be portable laying under bed with dimensions of 4''X3'X4' and am still on the hunt for some exceptional deals such as a "proper sound system"...HOLY CATS...I'm out of control. :P

I don't care where you live, craigslist.org is the best free commerce marketing site there is. I've picked up some screaming deals on most of my things....for example, the power inverter- $40, the 7 month old new queen mattress used for 3 days bought new for $500 for $50, CB power whip for $10, fresh water storage tank and Sureflow water pump- $10 and the list goes on. Patience and diligent watching/shopping pays off.

Questions-
Fresh water tank- I plan in building/finishing this so it can be an mobile interior unit only because where I Elk hunt it drops well below freezing with temps between 20 and -5 at times. I would like to mount it under the trailer close to the axel fullly wrapped in insulation with a thermal 12volt wrap as they have on my newer Cougar travel trailer we use as a family. No where can I find the amp draw to determine whether or not it will be feasible on a 12volt system even though I bring a 2KW generator I would run daily. I am really looking for some thought on properly insulating a fresh water tank exterior.

Plywood walls- Mine are fully insulated and even though I intend on adding chair rail, baseboard trim and crown molding, what is the best plywood sealant reccomended prior to painting it. Additionally, is there a opinion on a specific type of paint to use before I hit the paint store and start inquiring?

Thanks for your time, thoughts and input. Shortly, it will be here and pictures will be properly posted. I've received some very tangible information here that I have and will continue implimenting.

Cheers! :beer:

"Live life large with purpose and passion!!"

Cheers,

The Blue Max
The Blue Max
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:07 pm

Looks like you need a pencil and pad of paper, get to designing,

We can help, but you need to give us someplace to start from

John

Its going to be big and comfy, You have lots of room there.
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby slyeager » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:30 pm

I started painting the inside of my cargo and went with exterior acrylic semi gloss white. I wanted it bright on the inside, I didn't do a primer and it definitely takes two coats and looks decent so far. I still have the ceiling to do and pics of the paint will be posted when I finish her up this weekend.

I have a 5x8 and i'm on the second quart and it looks like it will use most of that. Why exterior? The old man suggested it to guard against moisture and I didn't see the harm but no other reason then that.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Painting interior

Postby drcurran » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:44 am

Looks like you have a great start, and I agree about the Craigslist. I especially like the fact that usually the "stuff" is within driving distance so you can "see and feel" it before you put down your hard earned cash.
Might want to check this out with the paint experts (at a real paint store). Seems to me I heard it is a very bad idea to use exterior paint on any interior area. Something about the toxins given off. Not sure, so check it out with a pro. Good luck with the project.

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby slyeager » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:44 pm

You had me worried drcurran, searched and found exterior paints are made differently, oil, latex, or alkoid based and each is different. The pros said to follow the directions and if it states on the can not for indoor use then don't use it indoors. My directions state to have adequate ventalation during application and drying but nothing about not using indoors. Now I'm not advocating the use in the slightest. Thats a users call.

Thanks for the heads up though.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby mdvaden » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:57 pm

I've got a fairly new inexpensive cargo trailer - blue - similar to the blue on in another users post of this topic.

Ours has two heaters.

I went with the Mr. Heater for no electric. But often, I go to Harris Beach State Park and Nehalem Bay State Park in Oregon. Both have electric, and one has cable.

Anyhow, I got one of the new oil filled electric heaters because the heat does not blast out and they are very quiet, for when I can plug-in. I took the wheels off and screwed it to the floor. Usually I run it on low or medium - eitther the 500w or the 1000w option.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions