A 12 ft. FEATHERLITE conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:09 pm

Prem wrote:
Going to a Jefferson State teardrop (and now tiny trailers) gathering over the weekend. 150 miles round trip. Will let you know.

Some of us are antsy to hear the results? :D (Poke, poke.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby WA » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Prem,
Your local sign shop will typically have it in that size. They normally cut it down to make those small yard signs that politicians foist upon their neighbors during election cycles.

BTW, what is your sense of the usefulness of the airtabs?
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

AirTab results

Postby Prem » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:00 pm

237 miles using 21 gallons = 11.25MPG

I was getting 9.5MPG towing the trailer before the AirTabs.

:thumbsup:

AirTabs only work effectively over 45MPH. There were many times when I was under 40MPH towing on the trip. I was never on an Interstate for that test run, so one could expect even more fuel efficiency gain for a long trip on the open road. The vehicle gets 12-13 not towing on the open road.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Cargos sitting around

Postby Prem » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:39 pm

While at the teardrop gathering, two people with teardrops said, after looking in my cargo, that they also had cargo trailers sitting at home that they were now thinking about converting.

One super-nice fellow told me about his car hauler that he hasn't used since he had dune buggies. Now he said he's thinking about converting it to a live-aboard. Another said he had a 6x10 cargo trailer full of stuff that could go to the dump. He said he just hadn't figured out what to do with the trailer yet, but now he had an idea. :lightbulb: :lightbulb: :lightbulb:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Prem wrote:
237 miles using 21 gallons = 11.25MPG

I was getting 9.5MPG towing the trailer before the AirTabs.

AirTabs only work effectively over 45MPH. There were many times when I was under 40MPH towing on the trip. I was never on an Interstate for that test run, so one could expect even more fuel efficiency gain for a long trip on the open road. The vehicle gets 12-13 not towing on the open road.

Thanks for the info! Thumbs up for Prem! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Prem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:55 am

Sharon,

The rear of the trailer you're building wouldn't need AirTabs on the roof, just on the sides and very few of them. They will enhance the aft airflow and give you better fuel efficiency towing at highway speeds...maybe even make it safer in turbulence behind big rigs.

Prem
Last edited by Prem on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:42 am

WA,

How does coroplast hold up against UV?

Prem :thinking:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 am

At the cold campout, Father's Day weekend in the forest near Oregon Caves National Monument:

Prem :campfire:
Last edited by Prem on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Prem, if those numbers hold up over repeated usage, they will certainly be impressive...keep us informed...please
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby WA » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi Prem,
I responded last night to...
WA,
How does coroplast hold up against UV?

...but have no idea why that post isn't displaying for me. If this is a duplicate for anyone, my apologies.

I used coroplast for about four years for outdoor signs and never noticed any degradation from UV rays.

I am at least 6 months to a year from being able to experiment with it. If you continue, please keep us updated.

On another note, do you think the airtabs might have some positive effect on my tow, which is a chevy suburban? What about the combination of the suburban and the CT?
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:29 pm

MJ,

Sure. Will do. Proviso: I ain't tryin' to sell these things. I'm trying to get us all some more fuel economy. So far, I'm pleased as heck with them on my cargo and the fuel savings. I expect even more hauling it on major highways.

WA,

Yeah! If you put the AirTabs on the rear sides and rear roof of your trailer (not on the Suburban---sides and roof too curved---see info on airtab.com).

Put them as close to the rear of the trailer as possible while staying on a flat surface of sheet metal, not overlapping a surface at a different height.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:43 pm

By the way, the dust pattern on the back of the trailer after the trip was interesting. There was no dust in 18 inches from the sides and top. There was some in the center of the rear however.

I didn't expect the AirTabs to totally eliminate the vacuum/vortex on the rear of a box going 45MPH, but they appear to have eliminated about half of it.

When my son is here, I'm going to tape 16 plastic streamers on the two rear doors of my trailer in a grid pattern and have him drive it on the Interstate at 55MPH (or more) while I pull up along side in another vehicle and photograph what the steamers are doing. (The redneck wind tunnel test.)

:snappy:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:16 am

Prem wrote:When my son is here, I'm going to tape 16 plastic streamers on the two rear doors of my trailer in a grid pattern and have him drive it on the Interstate at 55MPH (or more) while I pull up along side in another vehicle and photograph what the steamers are doing. (The redneck wind tunnel test.)

:snappy:

Prem

...KEWL :thumbsup: ...will be looking for those pics......................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Cheaper

Postby Prem » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:44 am

A number of people have asked me about a less expensive V-nose CT than the all aluminum FEATHERLITEs.

This one is $2000 less, a foot narrower, has no flimsy, leaky plastic/fiberglass cap on the front but is made the same way with the almost flat roof. It's got a steel chassis:

Prem
Last edited by Prem on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:55 pm

V-nose vs. flat front trailers

Here's a photo of the difference. The trailer on the left is all metal and the roof trim is structural with no leaks. :thumbsup:

The trailer on the right has the fiberglass roof cap on the front. The fiberglass is thin and non-structural. It is prone to separation and leaking. :thumbs down:

Prem
Last edited by Prem on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions