The Big Lug

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby devigata » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:29 am

Well, that electrical issue has been fixed. This is the "TurnLok" plug, installed on the driver's side.

And LOOKEE HERE! Practically new, for $150.00 (new ones go for around $5-800). What a surprise! It's still in the back of the pickup truck right now...

...but the framing for it is in.

We also have a "porch light" (in a camping trailer that originally wasn't going to have any electricity).

devigata
Donating Member

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Are you showing us the light in the last photo or the homer bucket toilet. HAHAHAHA. Looking good so far.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby devigata » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:45 am

ARIZONA GUIDE wrote:Are you showing us the light in the last photo or the homer bucket toilet. HAHAHAHA. Looking good so far.

Dude! That homer bucket is still 2/3 full of that "wonderful" free paint. We can't make a dent in it... maybe we'll have to roll the entire outside of the trailer to get rid of it all. ACK!

Thanks a lot for the kudos. Been tinkering a bit this weekend...

Here's the inside/back wall of the galley:

And we'll have cable tv, I guess (not my request):

The AC is in:

And I painted the galley:

Besides taking this monster down and replacing it:

We're VERY close to camping!

I've been assigned the job of painting the inside/back wall of the galley (at the foot of the cots) and the demo of the shelves at the nose. Not a problem! We're still thinking about the stove placement... there was much discussion over cocktails (again) yesterday, but I think we've got it figured out.
devigata
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:08 am

devigata wrote:

...... much discussion over cocktails

Ahhh, the very essences of what it's all about 8)

We're ready to go camping too!
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby devigata » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:03 am

Steve_Cox wrote:
devigata wrote:

I hear that, Steve!

We have a vacation coming up and we've been planning the route. A friend told us we'd like Holiday Campground in the panhandle, so we might check it out. May even stop over at Manatee Springs on the way there and back, based on your recommendation and the pics from the recent gathering. A couple of hours drive is much more comfortable than a 5-hour drive.

Dates are being worked out - I'll post when in case anyone wants to join us. Probably Mid-May.
devigata
Donating Member

Postby devigata » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:56 am

Got that terrible shelf out of the nose yesterday. There were only six screws holding it in. A shelf made out of fencing? Good riddance to bad rubbish I say. And LOOK! Firewood!

They really butchered the wall behind it. I'll be painting that, too.

But plans are to trim up the bolts and brackets on the spare tire holder and put a shelf here:

With another above that (splitting the difference). Not quite sure if there will be more than those two shelves; we need to see what other gear there is to "Lug" around.

John will be going to the metalworks to have them form the drawer for the stove. He'll do the welding, but we don't have a brake, so it will be much easier for him to hire this out.
devigata
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:23 am

devigata wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote:
devigata wrote:

I hear that, Steve!

We have a vacation coming up and we've been planning the route. A friend told us we'd like Holiday Campground in the panhandle, so we might check it out. May even stop over at Manatee Springs on the way there and back, based on your recommendation and the pics from the recent gathering. A couple of hours drive is much more comfortable than a 5-hour drive.

Dates are being worked out - I'll post when in case anyone wants to join us. Probably Mid-May.

Sunset in the Holiday Campground on Ochlockonee Bay at the Gulf of Mexico
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby devigata » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:47 am

Came home yesterday to see the top shelf in! See how John trimmed out the spare tire bracket? Nifty.

I guess it's my turn today ~ I'll be painting.

OH! I'm in the process of ordering some 15"H X 18"W awning windows from Grant:

and 50' (!) of moulding for the galley and side doors:

Hopefully they'll get here in time to install before our first outing next month. Dates reserved for Manatee Springs State Park are Friday and Saturday nights, 4/17-18/09 (site #035) and Friday and Saturday nights, 4/24-25/09 (site #029). Reservations have also been made at Holiday Campground for 4/19-23/09. YIPPEEEEE!
:dancing :picklejuice: :chicken: :icedtea:
devigata
Donating Member

Postby devigata » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:13 am

Almost forgot to post this goodie! Diamond plate piece picked up at a garage sale for $2 changed the front from this:

to this:

Guess I'll be painting more than wood, huh? The tongue looks pretty rough, but I'll get it cleaned up and sprayed. I think this ol' Lug is going to be prettier than my pickup!
devigata
Donating Member

Postby devigata » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:07 am

No painting last weekend :(

But sparks were flying!

So the stove is in

And we're close to cooking!

Just waiting on the windows from Grant and trying to decide what to cover the countertop with. I'm thinking "peel and stick" tile would be easier than laminate.
devigata
Donating Member

Postby devigata » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:38 am

This was a surprise! Upper shelves! Another set will go on the left, but it won't be exactly the same. Different measurements, but same design.

And guess what showed up? Thank you so much, Grant!

Unfortunately there was a wire in the way, but it will be re-routed. {{ Man, I really don't like that paint color. }}

This is just tacked in. Framing to go in then the other window on the driver's side. It sure does lighten things up on the inside.

Camping in two weeks, ready or not!
devigata
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:05 am

Grant has nice windows :thumbsup:

And.... for free paint, it is a pretty nice color. Although I prefer that mental hospital green myself..... 8)Image
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby devigata » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Grant has nice windows :thumbsup:

And.... for free paint, it is a pretty nice color. Although I prefer that mental hospital green myself..... 8)Image

Do you prefer the green, or are you just used to it? :lol:

Our kitchen is painted yellow, purple, red, blue, green, white and orange. Paint was so much cheaper than getting new cabinets. I'll have to think up something like that for The Big Lug. Oh, John has recently started calling this project "The Slug".
devigata
Donating Member

Postby kevin57 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:46 pm

It's looking good Cathy Jo, keep up the fine work. I hope you'll like camping in it as much as we do ours.
Kevin

happy wife = happy life
kevin57
Teardrop Advisor

Postby devigata » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:08 am

kevin57 wrote:It's looking good Cathy Jo, keep up the fine work. I hope you'll like camping in it as much as we do ours.

Thank you, Kevin. You know that part about "never being done"? I think we know what that means for sure. It seems like the things we have yet to do number more than the things we've done!
devigata
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions