Kozy Heaters

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Kozy Heaters

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:38 am

My 6X10 is a camper and we used it this winter and installed a propane Kozy Heater. Specs are it will heat 300 sq. feet but the trailer is 60 sq feet. We usually only turn it on until its comfortable and then turn it off. We then use a catalytic heater to maintain the heat through the night with of course the vent open and a Max Air cover above the vent. Also have the Carbon Monoxide detector installed. Worked for several days and was great.

First time we tested it it was 25 degrees and when it was turned on it went to 60 degrees in 10 min. We installed a shut off below it for transport as well as the shut off at the tanks.

[img][img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d64/spennrr18811885/heater.jpg[/img][/img]
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Very good heat for a small space. It would make me fill like home in the AZ desert.

Ok now we need more photos of your trailer.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:08 am

Thanks! and look under the DANZER MODS section under Cargo Trailers. It has 1250 Gen, Sink, Side table, Elec Heater, 2 blue water bottles which I don't carry full. Porta Potti, front cabinet, shelf with doors for DVD player and i-pod doc station on inside wall to watch movies, Electric as well as batt hook ups. Screen doors on both entrances that open outward to not waste space and full size foam 4" foam for a bed.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=24780
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 am

looks like a great heater for camping off the grid.... they also make a 200 sq. ft. unit, no thermostat, but maybe one is available...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Siobhra » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Years and years ago my father would put hot rocks wrapped in towels in the bottom of our sleeping bags when we were camping. It would give off heat long after we fell asleep.

I wonder if you have an oversize heater you can use it to heat up something else in the tear to give off heat all night? A few water bottles full of hot water can hold a lot of heat.
As a child I was my own imaginary friend.
Siobhra
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:33 am

The other week, when I was getting a massage, I noticed that they were using a crock pot heat their stones for the massage. The pot had a little water in it. I was surprised at long they held heat!

I bet that you could heat rocks in a crock pot in the same way and use them for you sleeping bag.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:02 am

Todah wrote:
I bet that you could heat rocks in a crock pot in the same way and use them for you sleeping bag.

Or, maybe a dutch oven....... :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:35 pm

S. Heisley wrote: Or, maybe a dutch oven....... :)

Now that's a good ideal.

...just as long as folks don't try to use the coals from the bar-be-que grill or the the dutch oven. :lol: :R

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:55 pm

This one is smaller, but says it requires 100# tank. How did you get around this requirement?

Wall mounted
Top mounted controls
Safety pilot system
Vent free
Requires 100 lb or larger propane tank
4,400 - 6,000 BTU
200 sq ft heating area
Electrical power required: none
13 1/2" wide
21 1/2" high
7" deep
Weight: 13 lbsImage
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:52 pm

Mine said the same thing. I installed it and used it and it works on a regular tank. Remember it doesn't take much to heat up the trailer and we shut it off well before sleeping time. Then use a small bottle type heater to maintain the heat temps thru the night. I am constantly aware of this rule but am now always watching. I suppose it will need one for long periods of use. But we only used it for just 15-20 minutes max. We are keeping track of time use and when we expect it to lose energy. Used it so far for only two mornings and two nights.

We do use a carbon monoxide monitor as well as a vent is opened with a Maxx Air vent cover. Only once did it get to the 28 ppm so we opened the vent more and actually opened the door for a short period. The 28 ppm was well within the safe zone of the chart. You just have to watch closely and be well aware of your surroundings. We only use it to get warm and when watching a movie or getting dressed.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:35 am

southpennrailroad wrote:Mine said the same thing. I installed it and used it and it works on a regular tank. Remember it doesn't take much to heat up the trailer and we shut it off well before sleeping time. Then use a small bottle type heater to maintain the heat temps thru the night. I am constantly aware of this rule but am now always watching. I suppose it will need one for long periods of use. But we only used it for just 15-20 minutes max. We are keeping track of time use and when we expect it to lose energy. Used it so far for only two mornings and two nights.

We do use a carbon monoxide monitor as well as a vent is opened with a Maxx Air vent cover. Only once did it get to the 28 ppm so we opened the vent more and actually opened the door for a short period. The 28 ppm was well within the safe zone of the chart. You just have to watch closely and be well aware of your surroundings. We only use it to get warm and when watching a movie or getting dressed.

:thumbsup: Thanks! I did some more reading and it says the bigger one uses a 20# tank. :? Perhaps it intended to mean a 10# and got an extra zero in there.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:55 am

Mine said 100 lb tank as well but what works, works. I just needed some better heat for the winter as my hobby often is done in the winter and when it turns cold I would need the extra heat. I photograph the abandoned railroad and snow and fallen leaves off trees makes for better photographs. Also this time of the year I don't work and camping is better for me as i go to Harrisburg to photograph documents on this subject. I just quit spending money on hotels and instead on maybe buying the railroad maps I collect.

southpennrailroad.com

southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby brian_bp » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:48 pm

The only reason for a minimum tank size is that the vapourization of propane as it is used from the tank chills the tank and the remaining propane, which in turn lowers the pressure. The higher the rate of propane use (meaning the bigger the burner), the more this is an issue. Bigger tanks change temperature more slowly and smooth out the chilling and pressure loss effect.

Home barbecues run tens of thousands of BTU per hour on 20-lb tanks... a 20 lb tank is plenty big enough for small trailer heaters, unless someone designs one which is strangely and unnecessarily sensitive to propane gas supply pressure.

Trivia: I have a very high output propane torch, which is sold as a weed killing tool (by Lee Valley) but is really an industrial torch. It puts out up to 100,000 BTU/hour (with much higher propane pressure at the burner than RV appliance: 18 psi instead of about one psi) and runs from a 20-lb tank; the instructions say "The propane supply cylinder used with this torch should be no less than 12 lb capacity..." If you ever use one of these, watch out for the hose and don't hit it with the flame!
:shock:
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions