Adding Screen Door

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Adding Screen Door

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:22 am

On my Danzer trailer I added a screen door just like any other trailer so camping can be a breeze in the hot weather. The screen door opens outward so no wasted floor space is had.

First: you need to make a frame mounted on the face of the inside alum frame inside your existing door but make the wooden frame just about 1" smaller then the existing door opening all the way around except the floor of course.

Two.: Then make a wooden door much like the old country wooden doors found on farm houses. I built mine with a slide in the center to be able to open the main door hatch. I use Pexi Glass for the slides. I didn't glue mine together for fear of the glue coming apart in moisture areas such as early morning dew as well as when it rains. I screwed it together. Also I used the door support brace which at times needs tightened so the door doesn't sag. I have used it for two years now.

The second shot is the added screen on the back door so if I am camping near a lake i could see the lake or what not in the morning without getting out of bed. Yes the door goes all the way to the floor so critters don't get in.

Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks for the pictures and the ideas. I want to keep my cargo trailer pretty stock looking on the outside (it is "left over" from my contracting days).

What did you do on the inside?

I don't want a trailer dedicated to "just camping" but one that is very versatile. Thoughts?

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:04 pm

dwgriff1 wrote:I don't want a trailer dedicated to "just camping" but one that is very versatile. Thoughts?
dave

I too wanted to keep it a duel purpose unit so my inside shelves were made to be removable. They are not yet complete but will be once the weather warms up a bit.

Both the rear and side inserts have swing doors with screen pretty simply made. Both come out very easily if I need to use the trailer for something other than camping.

The shelving at the nose was angled to allow access for the inward swinging screen door.

Now as I stated earlier the bulkhead shelving unit is not complete (so don't look too long) but it was made to be removable. That way I can still utilize the full floorplan if needed.

I made wing nut brackets that hold the shelves against the wall.

Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby digimark » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi. Still working on my "mounting a small AC unit in the side door" project. I was wondering if SPR could talk a bit more about the way the screen door is hinged -- I think I see piano hinges along the length of one of the back doors. Any clue on whether a 50" piano hinge (the length I'd need for a screen door/AC door panel) would be strong enough to hold the weight of the door *and* a 40 lb AC? Any good supplier of piano hinges I should try? Thanks in advance.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:47 am

digimark wrote:Hi. Still working on my "mounting a small AC unit in the side door" project. I was wondering if SPR could talk a bit more about the way the screen door is hinged -- I think I see piano hinges along the length of one of the back doors. Any clue on whether a 50" piano hinge (the length I'd need for a screen door/AC door panel) would be strong enough to hold the weight of the door *and* a 40 lb AC? Any good supplier of piano hinges I should try? Thanks in advance.

Sorry I missed your question on the hinges on the back door. I pull my trailer with a Chevy Colorado and try to make everything light. I don't recommend an AC on this type of screen dooras it is real light. It's job is only to keep bugs from flying through and critters from busting into the trailer at night. I always lock up everything when I have to leave so it is not a theft proof door. Not strong at all.

The inside opening out screen door is made first by building a inside frame slightly smaller then the original door of the trailer. Then I built a frame inside that wall frame. this permits the screen door to have room to open outward or in but obviously for saving space like a screen door in a pop up camper which opens outward I want that room. Then just hindge. I used two long piano hinges for this. I cut a groove in the horizontal braces to use plexi glass as openings to reach the handle to unlock the door. Actually I am planning on bringing in the screen door more for better access to the main door handle. I actually have had Plexi Glass panels but someone stole them which I used as storm panels for fall and spring use. Removable. Basically a home storm door is what I built.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Nice!

Postby Prem » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:48 am

South Penn,

That photo of your trailer's rear door open with the hanging shower and the fold up sink counter was the most interesting part for me! :thumbsup:

Hey, what about sealing the wood on your door so it doesn't absorb water?

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions