Hi just getting started; wading in

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Hi just getting started; wading in

Postby BDR » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:46 am

I had posted once in the NuB section, about how I had 3 pop ups in different states of usabillty. Was going to cannibalize one and make a little 8' hard side out of it.
Then a 07 6x12 cargo fell into my lap, this week. So I'll be doing that
My main thing is to take my dogs to shows in it and have a place to sleep that wont charge me $10 extra PER DOG- PER NIGHT.
I was wondering about pulling this thing with my Windstar to save on gas, so the first morning I had it (Thursday 2-19-09) it was snowing pretty good.
So I decided on a test run, did about 30 miles without any problem, it slowed a little on hills and I didn't push it. I felt the side wind more than the front, but passing the Mack Truck bone yard, I noticed the helmet (or what ever it is called) airfoil? sticking up above the cab.:thinking:
I could take that modify so it folds down when not in use, when towing the spare tire could ride behind it. Just have to make someone ride in the back to watch till we get the adjustments right. (Just for test purposes; Maybe use crutch legs with the 1" hole spacings and a piece of all thread, when the little windage ribbons start to blow around, move it back up and that is the right height. Want the air to just clear the top of the trailer nose)
Have already gleaned a bunch of ideas from the list :thumbsup:
My dog boxes are 28Wx31Hx42L, if I put 2 of them back to back, build a fold up bunk can place 2 more on top. If I leave the other side open I can put 10' long exercise pen panels it there flat against the other wall, when we show up 10 minutes instant fenced yard for the dogs.
Rock
PS Is there a spell check here I'm sure I need it?
I want it to remain almost entirely open except for the, front 17" nose.
BDR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby edcasey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you.
As far as the wind deflector goes, there are some products available that fold flat when not in use. Maybe they would work for you. I've never used one myself but several of my customers do. Here's an example:http://www.icontechltd.com/productcart/pc/Improve-Trailer-Towing-Performance-c59.htm
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Yeah that is it

Postby BDR » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:54 pm

Thats the basic idea, but I'll get the parts from the bone yard for about $5-10 bucks
Rock
BDR
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions