Freedom Hauler by Camping World: Opinions?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby edcasey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:37 pm

Prem wrote:edcasey,

Good research. I wondered it was manufactured by HaulMark:

http://www.haulmark.com/bumper-pull_car ... delhlcds2/

Universal Trailer, Inc. now owns both HaulMark and Featherlite.

Prem

It's great that they are made by such a large retailer (Pace). With over 400 retail locations getting parts would be easy. Also, you can compare price to the Pace models to get the best deal. The way the warranty is written it looks like you could go to any Pace dealer for warranty service but I would check just to make sure. The round top model is definitely the same as the Pace Journey.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby hunter535 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Prem,

:thumbsup:
Thanks for the info on the wiring. And you bet I will post pictures as soon as I get it and thruout the build as well.
hunter535
Teardrop Master

Postby Stealth TDI » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:20 pm

Hello,

Prem wrote:I especially like the square corner roof. This means there is no flimsy fiberglass nose cap to sun rot and crack like on so many other brands.

I stopped by a trailer place I THOUGHT to be a Pace dealer. I was incorrect. He showed me some trailers. I mentioned the possibility of fiberglass noses cracking (I found one brand new with a crack at Lowes). His remark, "Well, the square roofs are prone to leaking since there's no place for water to run off." This seems far fetched, especially if I park with the trailer tilted ever so slightly.

Thoughts?

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hunter535 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Stealth TDI wrote:Hello,

Prem wrote:I especially like the square corner roof. This means there is no flimsy fiberglass nose cap to sun rot and crack like on so many other brands.

I stopped by a trailer place I THOUGHT to be a Pace dealer. I was incorrect. He showed me some trailers. I mentioned the possibility of fiberglass noses cracking (I found one brand new with a crack at Lowes). His remark, "Well, the square roofs are prone to leaking since there's no place for water to run off." This seems far fetched, especially if I park with the trailer tilted ever so slightly.

Thoughts?

Scott

That is what I plan on doing, raise the front just a little to allow the rain to run off. I know on the model that I ordered the roof overlaps the exterior side wall. Chance of rain getting in is slim to none.
hunter535
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveB » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:56 pm

I agree, sounds like someone trying to make a sale to me. A slight tilt for water to run off will work. Also, keep the seams well caulked. Some manufactures, or employees, take short cuts when caulking. I noticed on my new trailer that they did not caulk around where the fendor connects to the body. They attached the fendor with self taping screws to the frame and wall studs. Those are easy places for water to seep in. Mold and rot could start from inside the walls before I had a clue.

SteveB
SteveB
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:28 am

I have a trailer that has the flat roof. I think it is the Phoenix by Carson. It is a walk on style roof. I have walked on it a few times I am a good 230 lbs. I have had this trailer for 6 years and show no sign of water leaks. And we do have a good monsoon season and some good three day winter rains here in my part of AZ. I like the ease of building with the flat roof. We will be using it for the first time on the 8th of may for our church father and son camp out.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions