Brought home my 6 x 10 trailer today

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Brought home my 6 x 10 trailer today

Postby campinwi » Sat May 02, 2009 11:09 pm

Went and picked up my trailer today. I bought the 6 x 10 from Camping World. It is made by Pace for camping world. It is an economy model, and not as heavily built as some of the other trailers which is probably how they keep the weight and price down.

My son went with me to pick it up, as I had to drive 200 miles one way to get it. I was telling him how I needed to pick a name, just as I finished telling him that, I looked to the side of the highway and there was a place called the "Sandman Motel". I took it as a sign, so I named the trailer "Sandman". I figured it was a perfect name, since camping is a vacation- vacations remind of the beach= beaches have sand. Also, when i hear the word sandman, I think of sleeping, and that is what the trailer is for. A nice dry place to sleep.

My son is a house painter, so as a mothers day present he is going to undercoat the trailer for me. I need to find some windows so my husband can put those in, as well as a small screen door for the side. I'm looking forward to making it into my camper.

For now, I am just going to use a camping kitchen I have for the galley area. I want to keep the weight down so it can be towed with my mini-van, so for now, I am going to use some plastic shelving I have for storage. I also found some fabric bins at Loew's today that were on clearance.

I have read many of the posts from people who have converted trailers, and am excited to get started!!!!!! :D
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Your cargo trailer

Postby Prem » Sun May 03, 2009 1:16 am

Ah! The fun begins.

I look forward to the photos you post as it progresses. :vroom:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby 41willys » Mon May 04, 2009 11:19 am

Welcome to the 6 x 10 club ha, ha.. The possibilities are endless. I have found the members photo galleries were a great source of ideas.
Have fun!
41willys
Teardrop Builder

fantastic resource

Postby oside trailer » Tue May 12, 2009 12:13 am

can't say enough good things about the advice on this site. seek and ye shall find -- pictures, schematics, designs, ideas... and a bunch of really helpful folks too.

a 6x10' is all you need to live LARGE and tow small.

good luck on the build
oside trailer
Teardrop Builder

NICE!

Postby Prem » Wed May 13, 2009 10:58 am

oside,

You rock! What a trailer! Build it from scratch? Or was it a cargo trailer to start with?

:beerhat:
Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby hunter535 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:41 pm

That is a very cool trailer. :thumbsup:

Did you build it yourself? How does your couch/bed pull out. I am thinking of building a pullout bed myself. Styled after a futon I am thinking.? :thinking:
hunter535
Teardrop Master

Postby Bagwell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:32 pm

What was the consensus on this, was it from a cargo trailer? I am thinking of taking a 6x10 or 12 and shaving the front top to make it more aerodynamic or maybe even take the front tapered out to around the jack near the hitch and maybe shaving the rear of the trailer somehow. I would love a trailer I can carry some motorcycles in and it still be very light and easy to pull and aerodynamic and not cost a lot in fuel behind my truck. Maximum cargo area with minimal footprint and good enough to camp in comfortably. :) I dont ask for much. hehe
Bagwell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:36 am

Bagwell,

So...What are ya gonna build?

Prem :thinking:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:38 am

campinwi,

How's your build going?

Got photos for us?

My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Bagwell » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Prem wrote:Bagwell,

So...What are ya gonna build?

I want to maybe get a 6x12 and do that... shave the front end cover the bottom and at the very least use those airtabs on the rear of it but also maybe taper the rear a lil bit. My pickup is a 95 model so its not as tall as the new ones. I dont want the trailer to be too big of a sail behind it. I am thinking even a 6x12 wont really hold 3 street bikes very easily, but if it can that would be great. I have a 6.5x12 open trailer and I stagger the middle from the two outter bikes and it holds em well, but I also tie the outter straps further outside the 6ft wide box rails for stability
Bagwell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:06 pm

my trailer came with tydowns on the walls
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Prem » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:24 pm

:thumbsup:

Bagwell,

Measure well. It will probably work, but you won't have room for any cabinetry down at floor level if you're putting three bikes in it. oside trailer (Pete) got two bikes in his 6-wide with some shallow cabinets on both sides.

Post as you go! We love photos of work in progress.
:snappy:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Bagwell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:22 pm

Prem wrote::thumbsup:

Bagwell,

Measure well. It will probably work, but you won't have room for any cabinetry down at floor level if you're putting three bikes in it. oside trailer (Pete) got two bikes in his 6-wide with some shallow cabinets on both sides.

Post as you go! We love photos of work in progress.
:snappy:

Prem

Didnt Oside just put dirtbikes in his trailer? I want dirt and street either mixed or at different times all one or the other in there. Street bikes are wider than dirtbikes and will take a lil more room. I know I can fit three staggered on my 6.5 wide trailer that is open but I will have to do some measuring to make sure in an enclosed. We shall see. It will be a lil bit before I start, I just got another bike and spend some money on a softopper soft camper top for my truck to use to came out in for races n stuff. :) Love this site though.
Bagwell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:05 am

Yup, uh huh and yeah.

Oside is also the only one on these boards (to my knowledge) that made his own cargo trailer from scratch
:EXP :EXP :EXP

Off to the biggest J.S. Tearjerkers campout of the year (15 tears, two 5th wheels and, and one cargo conversion,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions