hanging beds

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby kempshark » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:34 pm

You could do a set-up like the one I always see on the offshore party boats. They have large bench seats that convert into bunks. The bottom of the bench seat stays put as the bottom bunk. The top edge of the backrest of the bench seat is hinged, and the bottom edge of the backrest pivots out and up. They have straps or cables that come down from the ceiling and attach to each corner (just the front two) of the backrest that has become the top bunk.

Okay, I might have made that a little confusing trying to explain it. Do you get the concept?
kempshark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby starleen2 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:43 pm

Worked for the US Navy
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby campinwi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:07 pm

thanks for the navy bunk picture. I was thinking of making something similar
I am going to make the bunks from fabric, using closet poles for the two lengthwise ends. I am thinking of using rope to hang them from the roof braces. I was told by pace the roof braces can hold at least 150#. If I use two roof braces to hang the bunk, I'm thinking it should support the weight of the two grandkids. I am not taking them on vacation with me until July, so I have time to figure it out. Thanks for the picture.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dagny » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Mine is done. Bought Birch closet poles ($42 for 2, yikes!) and metal closet cups (3 screws instead of one in each). Used Ralph Lauren Cotton Upholstery Fabric that I had extra of. It may have more slack than I want, but I can re-do the fabric after a test run. Kids can get in and out easily. I can turn over and not hit my legs on the kid above me. I love it.

Dagny
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cdfnchico » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Very nice!
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby devigata » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:12 am

Dagny wrote:Image

Now all you have to do is put rocks on the kids' heads so they don't grow out of it.

;)
devigata
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:00 pm

I never use my childs cot, so I keep it rolled up with velcro wrapped around. Nice and neat.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby campinwi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:14 pm

after many trials and much tribulation, the cots are now in the trailer. It took much convincing of my husband, that these will indeed work. The trailer is almost 6 feet wide, so we made the cots going across the width. the cots are approximately 24 inches wide by 68 inches long. We placed boards over the sides of the trailer where the studs are. We then placed the closet rod brackets on the boards. I had planned on using wooden closet poles for the sides of the cots, but my husband thought they were too flimsy, so today we bought electrical conduit for the sides. since the trailer is 55 inches high, we put one bunk 24 inches from the bottom of the floor, and the top bunk 17 inches from the top.

I had my daughter lay in the bunk as soon as it was up, and no sooner did she lie in it, she started tp yawn. Much to my husbands amazement, she did tell him she would be able to sleep in it.

will try to take pictures tomorrow and post. tan out of time tonight.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions