Battery Storage

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Battery Storage

Postby Two Showers » Sun May 10, 2009 1:20 pm

I tow with a VW 1641cc TRIKE. So we have weight issues and everything has to be kept as light as possible.
My problem is I need to store a leisure battery in the mini caravan, just for 12v lighting and phone charging, iPod stuff etc
I need to find the smallest battery I can as space and weight is an issue.
If I use a leisure battery do I need to ensure it's in a sealed container with ventillation to the outside?
Is there a dry cell 12v battery I could use, as I have space to store inside the caravan but sealing to vent externally is going to be a problem

This was my first Sleeper, which is basically a bed inside a fibreglass shell

Now I've (with help) developed a 'dropped' box trailer to reduce the size and weight (for Trikes) but gives storage, somewhere to sit and a double bed. Easy access for wheelchair users, and it's just waiting for the full double glazed caravan windows to go in and the wiring to be finished when I get a resolution to the battery issue.

They said "Smile, things could be worse"....

So I smiled, and things got worse.

I am a true descendant of the Hobbits.

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby devigata » Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 am

Have you looked into solar? I don't know anything about it, but a panel would have to weigh less than a battery...
devigata
Donating Member

Battery issue

Postby Prem » Wed May 13, 2009 11:30 am

Sealing an inside battery box that vents to the outside is easy. Just use caulking on the box and foam weather stripping to seal the access lid. Get a little aluminum, circular vent from the hardware store for the outside.

A solar (photovoltaic) panel won't give you electricity at night when it's needed for lighting.

:D

Prem[/b]
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Re: Battery issue

Postby Two Showers » Wed May 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Prem wrote:Sealing an inside battery box that vents to the outside is easy. Just use caulking on the box and foam weather stripping to seal the access lid. Get a little aluminum, circular vent from the hardware store for the outside.
Prem[/b]

That's fine if you're talking about a Tear that's large in size, being pulled by a car/van/truck, but my Teardrop is a modified small (very small) box trailer that's been dropped in height. Deliberately made for towing with Trikes or very light kit cars or micro cars. The seat/storage you can see is only as tall as a battery, so I can't fit it under there.
I'm trying to find a way of fitting or identify a very very small leisure battery which would go under and allow me to vent outside, or a dry cell battery that doesn't need venting. It's hard to tell how big my micro caravan is, but trust me. It jsut makes a bed 4 feet wide by 6'6" long.

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Batteries (short)

Postby Prem » Wed May 13, 2009 5:14 pm

Motorcycle batteries. Lawn mower starting batteries. Or if you want the exotic, explore www.batteries.com

Best wishes,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

More Batteries (short)

Postby Prem » Wed May 13, 2009 5:22 pm

...and check out MARINE batteries, like this example:

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marineflyer.php?id=9

Happy hunting,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 13, 2009 5:25 pm

I would grab an AGM motorcycle battery. Small, light, and no fumes, or so they say. If all you need it for is lights, it should last all weekend without a problem.

It probably wasn't necessary, but I put a hole in the floor and in the sidewall, just in case.

mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed May 13, 2009 6:12 pm

TS, I am presently using 2, 6v, 33ah SealedLeadAcid batteries, which are designed for a backup power supply...they are 2.75"s thick and about 6"s square, giving a footprint of about a 6" cube...I paid 25USD each at www.batterymart.com ...I'm sure something similar is available on your side of the pond...........
madjack
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Two Showers » Wed May 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Cheers Guys, I much appreciate the info

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Two Showers » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for all the help.
I'm now running a 17AH 12V (Golf Cart Battery) as I've found it can be put in any position and as the Teardrop only has LED lighting, it lasts for days and days. I then take it out to charge it. I don't need to charge whilst riding the Trike so its saved me a lot of wiring.
I appreciate all the guidance you lot gave.

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 pm

What about one of those power paks that jump car batteries? I use one in the VW for (110v)lights. Can use a cig lighter adapter for 12v. Does have a low noise when on, but I don't have it in a cabinet.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Two Showers » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:00 am

Its all down to weight. With a 550Kg Trike, I'm limited to towing 250Kg

SO for Tirkes in the UK we have to go ultralight.

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Battery issue

Postby shelgenortiz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:40 am

Prem wrote:Sealing an inside battery box that vents to the outside is easy. Just use caulking on the box and foam weather stripping to seal the access lid. Get a little aluminum, circular vent from the hardware store for the outside.

A solar (photovoltaic) panel won't give you electricity at night when it's needed for lighting.

:D

Prem[/b]

It depends the quality and size. φωτοβολταϊκό πάνελ or photovoltaic panels and good batteries can give you more power to charge you phone, stoves and lights.. :thumbsup:
shelgenortiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Twinsteel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:08 pm

rebapuck wrote:What about one of those power paks that jump car batteries? I use one in the VW for (110v)lights. Can use a cig lighter adapter for 12v. Does have a low noise when on, but I don't have it in a cabinet.

I'm curious about this idea, can you tell me more about the battery pack you use? Why does it make a noise? Do you recharge it in your VW while underway? How long does a charge last to power your trailer, and what do you run off of it? Any problems with battery life given multiple charge/discharge cycles?

Thanks!
Twinsteel
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions