Just joined in...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Just joined in...

Postby JamesTXSD » Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi all,

My name is Jim. While doing a search for a small cargo trailer to tow our motorcycle, I came across this site. I've read through the posts on this part of the forum and browsed through many of the albums, looking for ideas for the new Featherlite 6.5x8 V-nose we just bought.

Since we bought the trailer to tow behind our RV, I didn't have any intentions of doing much to the trailer, beyond equipping it for hauling the bike and gear. We brought it from the dealer yesterday and laid down the first coat of Herculiner yesterday. I was trying to decide what to do with the floor and ramp door, and found the Herculiner idea here. We have a Rhino-Liner in our pick-up and it has been great. The Herculiner looks very similar... and is lighter weight than a rubber mat or MotoFloor, and a good solution for the ramp door.

This morning when I got up, every muscle in my body ached. No, not sick, it was from several hours of squatting in the trailer yesterday. And the really bad news: I needed to get the final coat done this morning. It hurt to walk, hurt to sit, and REALLY hurt to squat again... even my hair hurt! :shock:

On the bright side, the floor and ramp are done and look great. I'll give it a day or two to dry thoroughly and then re-install the tie downs. I bought some FastTrack stuff to hang helmets, jackets and gear. No plans for sleeping accomodations, but this site has given me plenty to think about.

Thanks to all who participate here for the sharing of great ideas.

Jim
JamesTXSD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Tue May 12, 2009 9:13 pm

Hello there Jim,

Glad you found this website and helpful information.

This forum is really loaded with great information, opinions, ideas, support and friendship.

Feel free to come back anytime.

Linda and Charles
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Featherlite

Postby Prem » Wed May 13, 2009 11:51 am

James,

Which Featherlite model?

This one?

http://www.fthr.com/dry-freight_commerc ... model1609/

:thinking:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby JamesTXSD » Wed May 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi Prem,

No, we went with the 1610; it has 6' of height inside, an "RV" door on the side, and the rear ramp door. The windshield of the motorcycle is 59" off the ground, so we wanted a trailer with a bit more height than that. I bought it with the idea that we'd be towing it behind our 5th wheel, but after reading all the interesting posts here, I can see that the trailer has more potential on its own, too. We are towing with a GMC pickup with a Duramax/Allison, so we have plenty of towing capacity.

Jim
JamesTXSD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JamesTXSD » Wed May 13, 2009 6:14 pm

Giving a shot at posting the images (I don't have an album here).

Picking out the trailer...

Starting the Herculiner...

The first coat...

Jim
JamesTXSD
Teardrop Inspector

Featherlite 1610

Postby Prem » Thu May 14, 2009 12:35 am

James,

I also have a model 1610, 12 ft. Best trailer I've ever owned and towed, of the five I've had.

Your photos don't show in your post. (I've been having the same problem here intermittently.) Do you have a photo website where they are posted so that we can see them?

:cheerswine:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby JamesTXSD » Thu May 14, 2009 7:57 am

Hi Prem,

The images were showing when I first posted. Here's a link...

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=5212&start=1455

If it takes you to the first page, go to the last (pg 98 ) to see images of the trailer. It's a pretty standard white Featherlite. I've been looking for a while and glad to have gone this direction.

Jim

Also, I don't see any way to edit the info with the name; apparently it lists "teardrop builder" automatically. Not the case in my situation and certainly not meant to put myself in the same category as some of the very talented builders here.
JamesTXSD
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions