sand toy hauler, windows/sink/shower..your idea's

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby dunediver » Wed May 27, 2009 12:33 am

The window thing is going to be the biggest "problem" in the build ive decided..At least for me..Im a perfectionist in a sense and im worried about leaking in the long run..I will be using a small 12x18 or 18x18 just depends on my walls on the trailer i buy..I will be using two maybe 3 windows..im more concerned with security and that is why the smaller windows..I really was hoping to find a aluminum trailer..I guess saying "problem" would refer to no alum. weld experience nor availabilty..for adding braces internal of course.. are all alum. trailers have alum. studs or are all trailers a hybrid in that sense?

DC wiring is as simple as it comes for me due to years of racing cars and doing stereo installs as a profession in my earlier years of stereo compition days..lol..but it is the recharging the dc system is where ill be new .. charging in stereo days means capacitors,extra batteries,and upgraded alt. to "recharge" the consumption of power.. ive read some great stuff on here about this..Seems like solar is a no brainer due to the sun always where i ride(cant find shade) and the fact that im a enviro freindly person..

Which brings me to the "grey water dump" i dont want to leave a bigger footprint so to speak more then needed.. I think i am going to figure out a way to hang a 10 gallon min. under the trailer..anyone do this ?

skilled i am with a ginder as for chopping up on the trailer side wall and then need to make a seal..im sure i could do it just didnt wanted to see if there was a easier way then the plasma cutter...i dont want to get close to studs so ill probably jig it or grind it with cutting wheel then just grind it down with grinding bit to the ideal size...just hate cleaning up and having shavings in my hair ..lol..ill have to bust out the do rag for the hair..

Also ive REALLY been thinking of L.E.D. lights for interior..ive seen a few 8x14 dual row supposed to put out more lumens then the 2- 40 watt flourescent tubes..help keep the power usage down..and one or two 3 L.E.D. bulbs in single flush mount form above bed ..
dunediver
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rebapuck » Wed May 27, 2009 10:27 am

What about a long low tank that fits under cabinets? Behind the toekick. Drain through the floor.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Re: RV windows

Postby Prem » Wed May 27, 2009 10:36 am

Dunediver,

Re: RV WINDOWS

Safety glass always! No house windows that break into swords and knives to kill people!

All RV windows are made of automotive safety glass.

You can go to your local RV repair shops and ask the boss, "Hey man, I'm building a small camp trailer from scratch. Ya got any used or odd size windows you could part with?"

Or, you go on eBay and search for "RV window."

Works like a charm. You can get the RV door you need that way also. RV repair shops often have used ones for as little as $25. You might have to put a sticker over a scratch tho! ;)

Best wishes,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed May 27, 2009 10:57 am

Dunediver,

What brands are best?
:thinking:

Depends on how much you're able to spend on one, what your tow vehicle is capable of pulling and what shape you want.

If you want a deep V-nose with steel construction, I'd say Haulmark. If you want a deep V-nose with light-weight, all aluminum construction, I'd say Featherlite or Worthington.

The plastic noses you referred to are actually plastic/fiberglass (quarter round) front caps on flat-front trailers---where the flat front meets the roof. No V-nose trailer I've ever seen has a plastic nose. They're sheet metal, either steel or aluminum.

Happy hunting,
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions