Our first camping trip

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Our first camping trip

Postby 41willys » Mon May 25, 2009 1:08 am

Well Im not finished but had to go camping. It worked well other than it got cold at night, lucky I took the winter bags.

Inside pic with the bed folded up into a back couch
inside cupboards
Upper IKEA racks for storage
Side picture on campsite

Well I forgot to take a pic of the bed down but it fits from the back door to the front door full width. The bed feels realy wide you could allmost sleep width ways.
It tows well. I am using a stabilizer bar system Of course I could use more power but had no problem getting up the pass.[/img]
41willys
Teardrop Builder

Postby edcasey » Mon May 25, 2009 10:41 pm

You've done a great job with your trailer. I love to see pictures of people camping in cargo conversions. Looks like you had some fun.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Tue May 26, 2009 12:56 am

41willys,

Very beautiful combination your Jeep and color-matched cargo conversion!

:thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby WA » Tue May 26, 2009 1:17 pm

Great photos! It looks like you might have rethought the couch/bed install. Please tell me more about it. Did you build it? Where did the mattress come from?
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Postby planovet » Tue May 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Sweet! :applause:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby hunter535 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:48 pm

:thumbsup: Great looking conversion.

You say "you wish you had more power", what size engine do you have in your jeep?
hunter535
Teardrop Master

Postby 41willys » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:45 am

Thanks for the comments, all. Its been fun and will continue I’m sure
? WA
I did rethink the mattress inside I will take pics and post, I used two IKEA mattress’s 4" thick cut them into two pieces one a seat base the other a back rest. I made them so that the there length was the same as the trailer is wide so that they fit across the trailer resting from base to base. This allowed me to put them all across and make the bed from the back door to the side door. Lucky I’m short as the bed is only 70" long as I didn’t want the bed to go past the side door opening. I missed one thing I backed the mattress with 3/4 " plywood to give it its strength.
This setup allows me to make the bed or make two opposing long bench's or as a couch across the back. the 4" foam was the max I could use as I want to fold these cushions up on the sides and allow my ATV to still fit inside. now that I have explained it ,I think, a pic is worth a thousand words will post pics tomorrow.
? Hunter535
The jeep has the 4L 6 in it but anywhere from here in Vancouver BC is uphill into the Rockies. and the trailer is about 1800lbs with everything in it Not that it could not pull it but the turbo diesels were crawlin up my butt climbing the single lane hills. I have 32" tires on it now but I think I will go to 31" soon, hopefilly this will make a little differance to my pulling power.
Lucky the game is uphill and I live downhill :thumbsup:
41willys
Teardrop Builder

here are the pics of the bed pieces in place

Postby 41willys » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:45 am

From the side door

now the pieces are rotated 90 deg. and used as the bench

This ended up my final decision, does that help explain better Member "WA" it seams to be working well I still have to put the final covers on them and I have to make another fold away support for the other side.
You can make the bed longer than I did by making the back support longer and this translates into a longer bed when layed out.
41 willys
41willys
Teardrop Builder

Postby WA » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:16 pm

Good Work! I like your final design. I'm 6'4", and, like you, don't want the bed to go past the side door. That is why I opted for a 7' wide trailer. I will be able to turn the mattress across the axle.

My CT is supposed to be here in a couple more weeks. It will first see service hauling material for a new deck for the house. Then, hauling material for some repairs at the farm. After that, (hopefully) let the modding begin! I want to try and keep it multi-use, so a rear galley may not be able to be an option (unless I could somehow remove it).

Thanks again for sharing the photos.
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions