First timer with new trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

First timer with new trailer

Postby Mike S » Tue May 26, 2009 12:26 am

Hi all :D

Thanks for the great forum! Here's my story. I've been contemplating a cargo trailer conversion build for quite some time. Then I found this forum and I was hooked on the concept. I don't have a trailer myself yet but I think I've got the next best thing. I belong to a cycling club and we needed a trailer to haul our gear. After a LOT of research on trailers, we ordered our Interstate Cargo 6x12 trailer from the factory. We picked it up last month and I promptly brought it home.

Since then I've been planning it as a dual use trailer for 1) camping at bicycle races and events, and 2) hauling our race equipment. Because it's dual use and because it's not my trailer, I can't go all out with a full camper conversion.

I do plan to eventually buy another trailer for a full conversion. I figure this is a chance for me to get my feet wet and practice my carpentry skills. Here's the progress so far. My carpentry leaves something to be desired but I think it's getting better as I go along :lol:

Here it sits in my back yard:

I thought a desk/table would be great for just about anything. Here's the construction:

The brakets:

Install with shelf above. I also put molding on but don't have a pic.

Indoor/Outdoor carpet:

The trailer saw it's first action on a Memorial Day road trip/cargo trailer test. We found an amazing lakeside campground in central Washington. We had it all to ourselves . The catch was that it was a dry lake! Here we are camping on the old boat launch :lol:

The next day we traveled to Lake Roosevelt where we found another lakeside spot. This time with water!

So our first cargo trailer camping trip was a success :) We've wet our appetite for trailer camping. The next step in the project is to improve upon the interior lighting with an on board deep cycle battery, LED interior light fixtures. A window is on the wish list. However I might need to convince the bike club guys that a window is a necessity for a bike trailer.

Thanks for looking! More to come...
2013 7 x 16 Charmac Stealth CT , deep in conversion process :)
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66412
2011 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, Double Cab, 5.7L
Mike S
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions