Picked up my 7X12 Today...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Picked up my 7X12 Today...

Postby WA » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Gentle People,

Short drive of an hour each way to pick up a 2009 Lark 7X12 from the dealer. It is 6'6" inside height. Cargo doors rear, flush lock side door, single axle, brakes, and stablizers under rear corners. Rest of the work will be by me. Still working out those designs.

I would like to have a rear galley like a tear, but want to maintain (for the moment) a sense of multi-use. So, we will see how that evolves. I'm 6'4", so went with the 7' wide to turn the bed across the axle and not encroach on the side door.

Folks, thanks for your ideas and inspiration. When I landed on this forum a few months back, I was determined to build a tear...will still do that...however, after looking seriously at what my immediate needs were (haul materials for new outdoor kitchen, haul materials to farm for projects there, move stuff for my daughters, get my butt off the ground when I go to the race track, etc), function won out over cute for the moment (I will probably still buy some flamingos to put around the CT when I camp in it though ;)

Yes, I took one picture when I got back with it today, and then left the trailer and camera at the office.

It's funny, since I ordered this trailer, I have seen (read noticed) more converted CTs on the road. This seems to be something that might be larger than any of us realize.
Going horizontal for a bit,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Postby devigata » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:17 am

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the pics.

Now comes the hard part... design. We went very simple, but it's perfect for us.
devigata
Donating Member

Postby WA » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Now comes the hard part... design.

Hi Cathy Jo,
Agreed. I like to cook so I would like to have a nice rear galley. The tradeoff is that it would have to be somewhat convertible to maintain use of the CT as a CT. Perhaps I am asking to much. Anyway, it will evolve into what it is supposed to be. Maybe after I get some projects out of the way it will find its highest and best use as the camper I invision.
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Teardrop-style kitchen

Postby Prem » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:58 pm

WA,

Congrats!

You want options for a rear kitchen like a teardrop? :thinking:

Okay. How about this:

1.) As you're looking at the two rear doors, the left one stays shut with a garden gate slide bolt on the bottom inside. (It won't stay shut when the right one is open.) You build the teardrop-style kitchen behind it ONLY.

2.) The right side door that opens first and has the bar lock on it remains a usable entry door.

3.) You build the kitchen compartment the width of the left door and as deep as you want.

4.) You can put a screen door on the right door if you want.

5.) You may find, like I have, that the side door becomes a secondary door and great for cross ventilation. The rear door beside the kitchen is very useful and quicker to use than walking around the side of the trailer to get in every time.

See photos of similar in this forum under "My 12 foot FEATHERLITE Conversion"

For what it's worth,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:49 pm

We do not even use the kitchen in our camp trailer. We cook in dutch ovens and camp fire grill. Learn to do that and it will open up a whole new world of cooking that is a blast. Then all the room in your trailer is living space. In my cargo i am not even planning any kitchen items. it is mainly a play trailer for the boys and I when the girls do not go with us. The i dont have to pull the big camp trailer.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:54 am

WA wrote:
It's funny, since I ordered this trailer, I have seen (read noticed) more converted CTs on the road. This seems to be something that might be larger than any of us realize.

Well yeahhh. :wink:
Many are probably "lurkers" here. (Lurkers never sign up for membership so they never post, just read.) Check out the number of hits per index heading on the forums. Pretty large numbers relative to the actual posts!

Prem (off to a trailer gathering) :picnic:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby WA » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Prem,
Thanks for that idea. It is possible that the galley could be built as a removeable unit...much like a grub box. I will explore that idea some more and report back.
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Postby WA » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Arizona Guide,
I am a big fan of cast iron, but presently only have one DO, a 20qt chinese model that I picked up at a traveling tool sale a couple of years ago. In my home kitchen, I have several enameled cast iron DOs and old cast iron skillets. DO cooking is something that I am interested in and will be adding more pieces to my traveling collection once I figure out how to store and transport.

I understand and appreciate what you are saying about not cooking in your kitchen. You are setting up an outdoor kitchen though, and, you still have to organize all that iron and your staples when you travel. That is what I am talking about in building a rear galley. Equipment, groceries and spices/seasonings organized and close at hand without having to climb in and out of the trailer repeatedly.
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Re: Rear pantry

Postby Prem » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:39 pm

WA wrote:

I understand and appreciate what you are saying about not cooking in your kitchen. You are setting up an outdoor kitchen though, and, you still have to organize all that iron and your staples when you travel. That is what I am talking about in building a rear galley. Equipment, groceries and spices/seasonings organized and close at hand without having to climb in and out of the trailer repeatedly.

:CC

So then you need a heavy duty, removable pantry with telescoping hot coals tray all on one side of the rear of your trailer. Sounds like 3 feet of depth to make that work.

BTW, I carry my food box, cooking implements box and ice chests in my tow vehicle. In most camp sites they come out and sit under my easy-up awning at the rear of the trailer under my fold-down stove area. My pantry is portable.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:52 am

Ol' what's her name has informed me that the left ( galley ) door will have a shallow cabinet mounted to it on the inside with the door open 180 degrees this cabinet door will become a drop down counter. The cabinet will house all those small items like spice bottles. We have been collecting the McDolald milk chubs and reusing these bottles for coffee tea and sugar as well. We will set up the dutch oven table about 5 foot from the rear of the trailer for our cook top , grill or dutch oven cooking ! This will essentialy make a "u" shaped kitchen area.

Looks like we are coming over to the dark side with our slouchy (not a standie but ya can put your pants on)
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Prem » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:59 am

bobhenry,

Coming over to the dark side? :twisted: What's that mean...that you left teardrops for something different?

Prem :roll:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:16 pm

YEP

SLOUCHY'S

and it's all Jeff's fault
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: Slouchies

Postby Prem » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:05 pm

bobhenry,

Is your trailer going to have a box rear (or close to one)? If so check this AirTabs. These get you back some of the airflow characteristics of a teardrop:

http://www.airtab.com

Got 'em for my cargo trailer, sides and top.

Prem :running man:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:26 am

Ya got me interested enough to take 45 minutes going over the sight.
At almost 3 bucks per it would be a kinda salty investment for a few dozen. I may have to get out the router and play with the trim :thinking:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Prem » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:42 am

It was the mention from NASA that caught my interest and made me realize it wasn't just another gimmick. They work. :yes:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions