Insulation

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Finished Interior

Postby CT Eddie » Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 pm

kevin57 wrote:Here's a pic of the finished ceiling.

Great pixs, what a job....... :applause: ......... the ceiling looks like a padded tuck, is it? wood work is also outstanding. Thanks for the post and pixs........... :D
CT Eddie
Donating Member

Re: Insulation

Postby d30gaijin » Tue May 03, 2011 7:04 pm

CT Eddie wrote:Does the floor get cold or did you insulate the floor, and if so what did you use? Great photos...... :thumbsup: .......

Thanks....

I did not/have not yet insulated the floor, and am not sure I will. Our floor is 3/4" marine plywood (had to make a correction from what I thought was 5/8" marine ply, it isn't, it is 3/4") sealed on the underside with some black tar type stuff. I glued heavy duty commercial grade linoleum on top of that after belt sanding it to smooth out some rough spots. We've been in some fairly cold climates camping and a little 1200 Watt electric heater with a blower motor in it keeps it nice and toasty inside. My concern with insulating the floor is it would have to be done from underneath and I worry about properly sealing the underside to keep rain/road water from getting up into and inside the insulation and eventually causing rot in the wood floor.

Don

Here's a pic of the commercial grade Linoleum installed (original configuration setup for a queen size bed.

And here's a pic converted to bunk beds to give us more usable space inside for inclement weather trips.
Last edited by d30gaijin on Fri May 06, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby vreihen » Tue May 03, 2011 8:01 pm

d30gaijin wrote:Here's a pic of the commercial grade Linoleum installed (original configuration setup for a queen size bed.

I had an idea last week about using E-track and 2x4's to make beds like in this picture, but instead of putting plywood and a mattress on top my thought was to sling a stretcher or hammock-type canvas between the two pieces of lumber. Seems like the perfect solution for keeping an open floor plan, since one could toss them into a corner in only a few seconds when not sleeping. The only question that I have is how comfortable it would be to sleep in a sling like this?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but this picture shows exactly the foundation that I was thinking about.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby MegC » Tue May 03, 2011 9:29 pm

The bunk beds are a very practical idea.... BUT....

If I pointed this out to husband, he'd laugh. Then he'd say NO. Then he'd take the time to point out why sleeping in separate beds doesn't work with his, uh, "camping philosophy".
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby d30gaijin » Wed May 04, 2011 5:24 pm

vreihen wrote:
d30gaijin wrote:Here's a pic of the commercial grade Linoleum installed (original configuration setup for a queen size bed.

I had an idea last week about using E-track and 2x4's to make beds like in this picture, but instead of putting plywood and a mattress on top my thought was to sling a stretcher or hammock-type canvas between the two pieces of lumber. Seems like the perfect solution for keeping an open floor plan, since one could toss them into a corner in only a few seconds when not sleeping. The only question that I have is how comfortable it would be to sleep in a sling like this?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but this picture shows exactly the foundation that I was thinking about.....

Verihen,

Hey, we highjack threads regularly as a good way to spin-off for additional info. From my experience stretchers and hammock suck when it comes to comfortable sleeping. I can haul out the mattress and plywood and toss them aside to have an open trailer. For us sleeping comfort is far more important than super quick break down.

Just my experience, your milage may vary.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby d30gaijin » Wed May 04, 2011 5:28 pm

MegC wrote:The bunk beds are a very practical idea.... BUT....

If I pointed this out to husband, he'd laugh. Then he'd say NO. Then he'd take the time to point out why sleeping in separate beds doesn't work with his, uh, "camping philosophy".

Meg,

At 62 years of age and 37 years of marriage to a beautiful and wonderful woman... well practical takes precedent over "camping philosophy." :thinking:

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:18 pm

MegC wrote:The bunk beds are a very practical idea.... BUT....

I do not understand what "camping philosophy" has to do with bunk beds

what? .............sorry GF was reading over my shoulder and just explained it to me............ what's a duffus? must be her new pet name for me.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MegC » Wed May 04, 2011 9:22 pm

d30gaijin wrote:At 62 years of age and 37 years of marriage to a beautiful and wonderful woman... well practical takes precedent over "camping philosophy." :thinking:

Don

Great! According to those numbers, we only gotta go 20 more years of marriage for that to sink in- lol!

Actually the current plan is to put a kid bunk in over the top of where our bed will go. Kids kinda put a crimp in the 'camping philosophy' anyway. And the wallet. And I'm starting to realize why my parents always looked so tired....
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby d30gaijin » Fri May 06, 2011 7:58 pm

MegC wrote: And I'm starting to realize why my parents always looked so tired....

Life is truly a learning curve. :twisted: :lol:
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions