Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: My Project a Cargo Trailer for back country camping

Postby scott.elliott103 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 am

Very nice build! :applause:
scott.elliott103
Teardrop Inspector

Postby meach4x4 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Just to let you all know, I have sold my Converted Cargo Trailer to a new owner in Farmington, NM. Someday, I'll build another trailer. For now, I'm travelling and camping in a 32' motorhome. 8)
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:46 am

Gil,
Wide tires and 6-wheel drive? The first 32' motorhome for off-road camping in Moab and Baja :QM

8)

P.S. You did a sweet job on your green cargo trailer. Glad you found a good, new owner.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 pm

Well folks, it's been almost 5 years since I sold the CT conversion. I've missed it a few times. I still use the 32' motor home, towing the 2005 Rubicon crawler. I recently purchased a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD for bombing around the desert and longer highway trips. I'm loving the torque of the diesel, and the mileage is great. I just completed a trip to Flagstaff to attend Overland Expo. I slept in the back of the Liberty. With all the camp gear set outside, I was barely able to stretch out at angle across the back of the car. It really made me miss the converted CT. I'm teetering on the brink of doing another CT build. Stay tuned! :shock:

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Fri May 25, 2018 4:40 pm

meach4x4 wrote:Well folks, it's been almost 5 years since I sold the CT conversion. I've missed it a few times. I still use the 32' motor home, towing the 2005 Rubicon crawler. I recently purchased a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD for bombing around the desert and longer highway trips. I'm loving the torque of the diesel, and the mileage is great. I just completed a trip to Flagstaff to attend Overland Expo. I slept in the back of the Liberty. With all the camp gear set outside, I was barely able to stretch out at angle across the back of the car. It really made me miss the converted CT. I'm teetering on the brink of doing another CT build. Stay tuned! :shock:

Gil
08 or newer with the fold down front passenger seat! But no CRD's! I miss my Liberty, best vehicle I have had.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Sat May 26, 2018 9:35 pm

:ok:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:33 am

meach4x4 wrote:Well folks, it's been almost 5 years since I sold the CT conversion. I've missed it a few times. I still use the 32' motor home, towing the 2005 Rubicon crawler. I recently purchased a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD for bombing around the desert and longer highway trips. I'm loving the torque of the diesel, and the mileage is great. I just completed a trip to Flagstaff to attend Overland Expo. I slept in the back of the Liberty. With all the camp gear set outside, I was barely able to stretch out at angle across the back of the car. It really made me miss the converted CT. I'm teetering on the brink of doing another CT build. Stay tuned! :shock:

Gil

When you get started, if I can be of any assistance, let me know. I am just up the hill.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Ottsville » Sun May 27, 2018 7:17 am

Glad this thread got bumped - nice build Gil!
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Charly » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 pm

I have an 05 CRD and am planning a 5x8 CTC off road build for full timing in.

Loving my CRD ! (are you on lostjeeps.com forums? i am k9adv )
Charly
Teardrop Inspector

Postby meach4x4 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:28 pm

I just found out a good jeeping friend is converting a cargo trailer for camping on back country roads. I told him I may be able to help. :?

Meach4x4
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Charly wrote:I have an 05 CRD and am planning a 5x8 CTC off road build for full timing in.

Loving my CRD ! (are you on lostjeeps.com forums? i am k9adv )

I occasionally drop in on lostjeeps (love that torque) forum. I lived in mine ft for a couple of months. It worked fine, although I would probably go up to a 5x10 for a shower. :D
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:06 am

Would probably? You gonna get another then?

I've still got mine. (10 years now.)

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:47 pm

The beat goes on...

I just ordered another Wells Cargo 5x8 Cargo Trailer! The plan for this one is almost exactly the same goals as the green model I built 10 years ago. I will be towing it with the CRD Liberty most of the time. The dry weight of the 5x8 is 935 lbs. The Liberty has a 5,000 lb towing limit, and I use it regularly to tow my boat, which weighs about the same. There will be a few changes from my former CTT:

After spending many days and nights traveling and sleeping in the green CCT, I thought about what I would do differently. The first thing would be to go with a lighter interior. I ordered this one with white aluminum interior. It will still have the front entry door and 2 15x30 slider windows, so it should be plenty bright.

Instead of barn doors in the back, this one will have a single full-sized swinging door in the back. I plan to have a roll-out galley in the back that will stow under the bed.

My wife seldom goes camping, so rather than build a queen size bed, I will build a twin size, and make the design so I can double the bed space for the occasions she chooses to join me. The extra space will be for lounging. The bed will be removable to allow for cargo hauling.

Wells Cargo does not offer torsion axles for their 5x8 trailers any more. I will be starting with a 3,500 spring axle. Eventually, I will probably move to a one ton Timbren or Dexter setup, but I want to try the leaf spring suspension first. I have a friend who has that setup on his similar trailer, and he says it works fine. I'll see how it works. Meanwhile, I will be researching what it will take to install the Timbren in the Wells Cargo.

I plan to build the same setup into the V nose. I really enjoyed the shelf in the V Nose and the battery with power distribution in the cabinet below it. I had added a couple of small shelves above the original one that were handy, so I'll be putting mor of that.

I will probably go to a 360 hitch and extend the frame eventually. Before doing that, I will certainly go for a removable tongue jack in order to be able to open the tailgate of the Liberty without unhitching. I still have my LJ rock crawler, and it still is capable of towing. I will want to be able to tow the trailer on moderate rocky trails, but nothing hard core. I will park the trailer and use it as a base camp for the tougher trails.

The trailer is scheduled for delivery in 8 weeks, so stay tuned!

Gil ;)
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:44 pm

:D
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby onehoser » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:52 am

this is where i relocated the jack on my 5x8 so that i can open the swing gate on my heep. i will be doing the same on my 6x12 build. when i ordered my 6x12 i had the tongue extended by 18" for a little extra space....
good luck with your build
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions