Questions on putting in windows

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Questions on putting in windows

Postby dmdc411 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:48 pm

I would seal them with putty tape too. It would really suck to have to remove them because they leaked and damaged your nice interior. Worse yet mold etc..
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby Al Swope » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Does anyone have any photos or advice for putting a window in a CT door. Brand and size of window you've used? What is he core of a typical door made from?
Al Swope
Teardrop Builder

Postby dmdc411 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Google it, or you tube?
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:37 pm

Wow 699,699 views I just had to chime in :thumbsup:
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:29 am

I didn't mean to be a smarta!s above. On a previous page of this thread someone posted a link for installing windows. Try this for info. http://www.rvwindow.com/RV_Products_Lis ... goryID=248
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby chiefairwrench » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:14 am

I just awaiting for my delivery of a Freedom 7x14 V nose trailer and what is the opinion of the best window size and number of windows for a trailer of this size. It will be a motorcycle toy hauler and per the spec 16" support spacing. :thinking: :thinking:
chiefairwrench
Teardrop Master

Postby Jrst67 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Im seriously looking at windows and the more I search both here and Google the more confused I get.

Today I was able to salvage some windows from a friends vintage 80s Winnie motorhome. They dont compress to the walls like modern windows do but rather just stick to the outer wall with a inner in trim ring screwed to the inside wall.
Sizes all measured from the inner rough opening track area.
17 x 24 (door window),
25 x 19 1/2 ( slider),
22 1/2 x 24 1/2 (egress),
and a monster 24 1/2 x 55 3/4 (slider).
All the seals seem ok, could use some new ones. and the slider channel felt needs replaced... All parts available but not really cheap. Channel felt $45, outer gaskets ???
All windows need darker tint, I can do that.
My questions are..
Is it worth it to fix these?
Are these standard sizes?
If the glass breaks, am I screwed?
Would you... chuck them and buy new Ebay windows?
Not sure where to turn from here. I have had travel trailers in the past but outfitting one is a different animal.
Thanks for your help.
Jrst67
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trickytrip » Wed May 18, 2016 7:24 pm

You will most likely spend less than $150.00 in repair parts and time and effort to clean them up. Sounds like a great deal and worth it.
Trickytrip
Teardrop Builder

Postby dmdc411 » Wed May 18, 2016 7:25 pm

E bay.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby tandempair » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:25 pm

Nitrooxjunkie
Hubs and I are wondering what size your windows are? They are just what we have in mind. Did the seal around the inside come with them, and the screens as well? Wondering where you got them. We will be hiring a local RV service place to do our, we don't have the tools or expertise to take on such a job, but really do need some window. We have 16 inch centers. I need to be able to explain what I need done to the RV service center, so I am hoping to get a clearer understanding of th size, seals etc. Thanks.
tandempair
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark959 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:30 pm

My windows came with trim rings, it's all designed for 2" walls, mine are 1/4" too narrow.

What are some good options? I am thinking of shimming the trim ring inside. It has to be something strong, I don't think plywood would handle it being cut so narrow. I wish I could just make the rings smaller but don't see how it could be feasible. My thoughts are 2 gauge wire or a rod at least 1/4" bent around the ring to act as a shim. Seems quicker than plywood but would cost more... either way I would have them sticking out of the walls a bit...

Other option is I hang new plywood on the walls that is thicker, but I didn't want to do the whole trailer and it's already narrow inside.

Last option is getting new trim rings made the right size. I'm not too keen on riveting the windows on from the outside but if I have to I will...
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:32 pm

My window didn't come with a ring either. I made the spacer out of poplar, overlapped at the corners. Then cut a plywood retaining ring and covered it a layer of cedar. Looks pretty good considering. Just remember to cut the inside large enough to get your screen in and out. It really sucked whittling out the spacer to get the screen in the first time!!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark959 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 pm

I bet it did!

I realized I was over thinking it, I have a few ideas on using trim to do the job. It will make it more home'y, while being stiff enough. Now I just have to decide if I want the trim square or octagonal. I will be playing with it... either way I have to deal with the window radius, square might look better but may take more cutting. Time to draw it up and see.

Will come back with pictures. Will be attempting the skillsaw method, then taking the plywood out after cutting it and the skin at the same time, to frame up the window holes.

Anyone have good ideas on blinds? I don't want people peeking in, I will probably use curtains too so they might not be necessary.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Window Ring and Wall Sizing

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:26 am

I need a little confirmation! When I set my mounting ring on the window, the gap between the flanges measures a little over 1.5". How thick then, should my wall be? The only instructions I have found said to use 1/2" screws. That would put the wall around 1 3/4". Is there an acceptable range or an optimum distance between ring and window? I haven't had much luck finding the answer. Any suggestions, knowledge, or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Mark959 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:24 pm

I felt comfortable having a small gap between the ring and window frame, so that I know I have it clamped down as hard as possible. Then run a good caulk along the gap to seal it up.

If your ring is sitting on the window frame, you can't be sure how much clamping force it has
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions