Hard to Find 6x10 to fit in my garage!!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Hard to Find 6x10 to fit in my garage!!

Postby hausfrau60 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:21 pm

I've been calling around for a 6x10 cargo trailer that will fit under the 7' garage door opening. They all seem to add 6 or more inches for head room (which I don't want for my conversion). Then, when I mention I want an rv door on each side of the trailer, they say they can't do it because the door automatically adds 18" to the height of the trailer. What??? So, am I doomed to having to install the side doors myself? How do you do that so you don't adversely affect the stability of the trailer? And if you're wondering why I want an rv door on each side, it's so I can get out of the trailer without having to crawl over my 6'4" husband! And another question ... is $3k a reasonable price to expect to pay for this somewhat custom trailer?
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby hausfrau60 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm skipping the extra side door (too expensive). Will have to reconfigure the floor plan so that it's an l-shape layout of two twin beds, bunk style. Also, I can have the 6x10 trailer made with one side door, barn doors in the back, two windows, and a ceiling vent in a overall height of 6'6" so it will fit in my garage for around $3300. Is that too much for a cargo trailer? Is Interstate a good trailer? The sides are 24" on center (not 16" like some of them). Does that make a difference?
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby digimark » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 pm

I believe most of the used trailers out there are working trailers where being able to stand upright in them was a virtue, so I'm not surprised its proving difficult to locate a decent trailer that is "cut down". You can order what you want from the factory, but it's a new trailer at new trailer prices.

One thing to keep in mind -- unless your driveway is level with the garage floor, you may have even less clearance then you think. My driveway slopes up to the garage opening, so I had to have a trailer that was 80" or less. When I ordered my trailer from Pace-American I had them chop it by a foot.

Also, they don't necessarily include the height of the roof vent in the size calculus, so be careful to specify absolute height above ground or that may catch you up.

The potential pricing for your trailer is going to depend upon many factors, including size, age, wear condition, usage, features, etc. I can't imagine how we would suggest a value without knowing much more...
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby mwatters » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:45 am

That was actually a major factor in the trailer I picked up to convert (a HiPoint bike hauler trailer). Nice size, yet short enough to be easily garageable. I liked the looks of it a lot nicer than the standard Haulmark-style trailer too. Ends up looking more like a miniature travel trailer than a converted cargo trailer. There's photos in my album.

It's for sale if you're interested.
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby beemerphill » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:58 pm

There ARE 6x10 trailers made to fit inside a standard garage door. I know because I ordered one. It is a Wells-Cargo, and it cost me a little over $4000 to order in 01. The frames can be ordered "dropped" to give you a few more inches, and the hight can be made to order. Mine will leave me a little over 2 inches clearence backing into my garage. The vents are what they call call thru-flow. The intake is towards the top of the left side wall and the exhaust is on the lower right side wall.
I ordered a regular door (not a cargo-type) on the right side, and regular (left and right) doors on the rear.
There are pictures in my album in you want to see it. I am currently debating if I am going to sell it or not.
If you want any more info on it let me know.
Good Luck with your project!!

:) :) :)
beemerphill
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:03 pm

If you are handy you could modify a cargo trailer to the exact height you want... but of course, it's better to buy it that way in the first place!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby hausfrau60 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:40 pm

We talked to a place this weekend who can build what we want (6x10) shorty, along with 110-volt package, two side doors w/rv handles, a 15/30 rv window with screen on each side, double rear doors, propane stub line (from tongue to back), fantastic fan, two dome lights, completely insulated, and marine/rv battery. Could be right around $4k. Once I get that, I can take the winter setting up the interior. Do you think I can finish it out with rear kitchen galley (stove, sink, cooler/icebox, storage) and cabin storage with a queen bed?
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:47 pm

hausfrau60 wrote:We talked to a place this weekend who can build what we want (6x10) shorty, along with 110-volt package, two side doors w/rv handles, a 15/30 rv window with screen on each side, double rear doors, propane stub line (from tongue to back), fantastic fan, two dome lights, completely insulated, and marine/rv battery. Could be right around $4k. Once I get that, I can take the winter setting up the interior. Do you think I can finish it out with rear kitchen galley (stove, sink, cooler/icebox, storage) and cabin storage with a queen bed?

Sounds like you hit the jackpot. Go for it.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions