POWER INVERTER NEEDED WITH LOW STANDBY CURRENT

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby edcasey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:02 pm

I've been running a Xantrex Prowatt, which is a modified sine wave, to run my LCD TV, DVD and Satellite receiver with no problems. I run a 1750 watt because it also powers my air conditioner and refrigerator. The 250 watt has a standby draw of <0.1 A.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/14/p/1/pt/8/product.asp

edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:43 pm

ED, what kinda battery bank are you powering the inverter with to run the AC...and what type brand of AC...details of this application would be very appreciated(sorry for the hi-jack)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Wishbone » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:54 am

Madjack, Heres Eds cargo trailer set up. I really like it. Wishbone-ks
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=26784
Wishbone
Teardrop Builder

Postby hausfrau60 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:41 am

Don't plunk 'em in front of the TV, take them fishing with you! Heck, isn't that why families go camping anymore?
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby edcasey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:21 pm

madjack wrote:ED, what kinda battery bank are you powering the inverter with to run the AC...and what type brand of AC...details of this application would be very appreciated(sorry for the hi-jack)
madjack 8)

I'm running four SRM-24 Interstate deep cycles. I got a great deal on them but when they need replacing I'll switch to two U2200 6 volt Interstates. The two 6 volts have more reserve capacity than the four 12 volts and will cost less. My A/C is just a 5000 BTU GE. I'm not sure what the model number is (can't see it) but I chose it because it has a low amp draw. Just 450 watts with the fan on high and the compressor running. I usually run the fan on low (it has 3 settings) to save battery reserve. I could have gotten a smaller inverter but I got it slightly used also at a really good price.

We use this setup when we go to NASCAR races and they make you shut your generator off at 11 P.M. We're able to switch to inverter power and sleep comfortably while people in their $500,000 motorhomes are miserable in the heat.

Ed
Last edited by edcasey on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:16 pm

...thanks Ed, for my and others benefit, what kinda run time do you get with that setup...have you ever had heating problems with either the connecting cables, batteries, inverter...thanks............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby edcasey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:34 pm

madjack wrote:...thanks Ed, for my and others benefit, what kinda run time do you get with that setup...have you ever had heating problems with either the connecting cables, batteries, inverter...thanks............
madjack 8)

As far as over heating goes, it hasn't been a problem. With the load the A/C draws I could easily get away with 4 gauge wire but I'm using 2/0 gauge so the wire is over sized. I used the 2/0 to wire the batteries to each other and to the inverter. Also, the inverter is right above the last battery so the two wires to the inverter are less than 2 feet long. The inverter is working at less than 1/3 it's maximum output so it stays cool.

The question of run time is hard to answer. We only run the air conditioner off of the inverter at night so the ambient temperature is low enough that the A/C's compressor doesn't have to run very much. We have the thermostat set a 72 degrees and the fan on low. We're also careful not to run anything else that might drain the batteries. I have been able to run it from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am (the track lets you start your generators back up at 7:00). I'm sure if I tried it in the middle of the day it would exhaust the battery reserves much faster.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 pm

...thanks ED :thumbsup: ...this has been a subject of much debate around here in the past...your practical experience is very helpful......
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby edcasey » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:39 pm

madjack wrote:...thanks ED :thumbsup: ...this has been a subject of much debate around here in the past...your practical experience is very helpful......
madjack 8)

I wish this subject had come up earlier in the year. As soon as the weather gets warm enough, I'll do a few test during daytime hours to see how long the inverter will run before low voltage shuts it down. I have a watt meter so I will be able to tell you the exact draw of my air conditioner at specific ambient temperatures and the run time.

The 8 hour run time I quoted was during the night and at race tracks in the Northeast (New Hampshire and New York) and my camper was already cold before switching to inverter power.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions