Condensation UGH!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Prem » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:17 am

My 12' teardrop chassis came with a 1/8th inch steel floor in two of the three footwells. Whoever built it had drilled a few holes in it. It got surface rust from letting in road spray in the rain. :frightened:

Initially, I had put rubber-bottom rugs over the floor. I glued them down with spray adhesive, but they let go within a year and it was wet under them. The rugs provided almost no insulation value. :x

Left over from building my boat, I had 2 quarts of 2-part expanding polyurethane foam. I taped the holes underneath, mixed and poured on the liquid to a 1/4 depth across the metal floor. 20 minutes later (on a hot day) it expanded to an almost universal thickness of 1.5 to 2 inches. I used a Surform plane after it hardened to smooth/flatten it out, then put 3/8 inch MDO plywood over it and .024 diamond plate aluminum. I pulled the tape. Water and rust were never a problem again. 8)

Polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) exposed to air with nothing to keep it from swelling up is single-part expanding polyurethane foam. :o

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby jay » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:56 pm

[quote="dreadcptflint"]Anytime that you have cold and warm colliding you will have condensation. The best thing that you can do is insure that there is proper air flow.[/quote]

the best thing to do is eliminate "cold bridges". insulation is also key.
jay
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions