Interior dimensions on cargo trailers?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Interior dimensions on cargo trailers?

Postby penquissciguy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:03 pm

This might be a stupid question, but if I were to buy a 6' by 12' cargo trailer, how close to 6' by 12' would the interior actually be? I'm trying to plan out a trailer that is going to take some pretty serious figuring to make sure it will work out, and I won't be buying a trailer for a while yet. Can I count on a minimum of 6' by 12' from most commercial manufacturers, or does interior paneling, door frames, latches, etc. extend into this space? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ken
penquissciguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trackstriper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Ken,

It will depend upon the manufacturer of the trailer, I don't think there are any official standards. Having said that here is what I think you'll find. I have a 6x12 Pace American "Journey" trailer, which is kind of a standard, run-of-the-mill setup.

The six foot width will almost certainly be 72" at the exterior of the trailer. The wall thickness will be deducted...figure maybe 1-1/2" for either wall. The specs for mine say 5'-9" which is pretty accurate. The wall "stud" design and plywood thickness may vary...mine was based on studs that were about 1-1/8" deep with 1/4" lauan ply inner sheeting.

My trailer has 12'-3" interior dimension running down the centerline of the floor, with a "bowed" nose on the trailer. Another manufacturer may have a different setup and have a dimension somewhat more or less than 12 feet. A "V" nose trailer may considerably exceed the 12 feet as they typically add that to their standard trailer frame platform. You'll need to look at the manufacturer's detailed specifications, which you might find online.

Typically, door frames will be about the thickness of the wall, maybe just a slight bit thicker. Latches are thin and really can't be whittled down much. Take a look at any cargo trailer with a side door and they are all pretty much the same. A proper "RV" door installed might be a bit thicker.

Hope this helps.
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby penquissciguy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Thanks for the info. We have a large trailer dealer about a half hour from home and I'm going to stop in with a tape measure when I get the chance.

Ken
penquissciguy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions