Have a design idea... help pick it apart!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Have a design idea... help pick it apart!

Postby Kixwy2 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:59 am

:lol:

This is for a 6x12 trailer with basic amenities - I'm actually attempting to do a lot of off grid camping and keep things minimal, portable, and using solar for minimal lx if the budget allows.

The basic idea is built around a 60x80 bed (queen size) with 8 inch memory foam that folds into a couch at the back of the trailer. Some narrow side tables would provide space for a clock or phone, or a drink. The bed pieces would fold envelope style like the scribble on the side, leaving a footprint of about 32 inches front to back and nearly 6 feet of open space for a portable table and chairs in bad weather.

With the bed out, I have 2 feet between the galley and the foot of the bed for changing and moving around. My galley design has shelving running along the sides of the trailer with cubbies above and below for storage. I'm trying to decide between a shelf depth of 24" each or 18" each. It gains me a foot of maneuverability getting in and out of the trailer.

I'd probably put a couple of small windows along the bed sides, a fan in the roof, and a drop down screen across the barn doors to keep bugs out. Maybe some light storage cabinets above the bed for blankets, etc.

Thoughts?
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Tue May 18, 2010 1:03 am

What's the height?

What's the exterior shape (profile)?
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Kixwy2 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:14 am

I'm looking at a Haulmark style trailer, so not a v-nose, and I believe they run just under 6' in height. I'm a whopping 5'4", so that isn't an issue for me.

However, I don't think a side door will work for me with this design, so I'm going to exclusively use the barn doors for entry/exit.

I know that interior dimensions can vary from trailer to trailer, which is why there's about 6 inches of "give" along the sides of the bed, and plenty of space for the galley and open space.
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Design

Postby drcurran » Tue May 18, 2010 6:59 am

I think only having the barn doors will "grow old" real quick. You might want to re-think the use of a side door. Just my .02

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Tue May 18, 2010 10:32 am

I don't think a side door will work for me with this design, so I'm going to exclusively use the barn doors for entry/exit.

CONSIDERATIONS:

You close the barn doors from the outside. You can install a slide bolt to lock on the inside top of the first of the two doors, but the second door is the one that compresses the seals to close both doors. (Are you able to picture this?) You can't effectively compress the seals from the inside because the cam lock with the big lever handle is only on the outside. It takes a lot of leveraged force to seal the barn doors closed. So how can you ever get the second door closed all the way from the inside?

You can install a heavy duty handle and another slide bolt on the top inside of the second door and pull it shut hard while you move the second slide bolt into place to lock the door from the inside, but the doors warps slightly and you can see daylight out the bottom.

Two fixes for this:

1) Lock the rear barn doors and use a side door.

2) Leave one or both of the rear doors open all the time when camping and install a secondary weather-proof door and/or screen door just inside the rear doors. This requires that your barn doors' interior paneling can withstand rain and sun, since they are open all the time when camping.

Here's a simple example (with a ramp door):

Confession: In summer I rarely use my side door. I keep one of the rear doors locked with a slide bolt from the inside and the other stays open with a simple screen that hangs down just inside the door.

Hope that helps some. :)
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:24 am

I’ve seen many designs that incorporate a folding bed or one that converts to dinette. Unless you need the space for something rather large, I don’t really see a necessity for a fold up bed. It’s a PITA to keep on folding and making up the bed for a potential event that can easily be taken care of with an awning. In rough weather – we can sit on the edge of the bed with a small folding table to play games on.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Kixwy2 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Thanks Prem, that's a good point about the barn doors I didn't think about. I may make a second set of weather-proof doors based on your comments alone. The other option I thought about is to add a side door towards the back of the trailer, between the bed and the galley. Of course, that may make it right over the wheel well.

Right now I really like the "flow" of the floor plan, and I am having trouble visualizing the bed anywhere else. Also, clearance on a side door may be a problem - seems like best case scenario gives me a foot to get in and out even with the bed pushed up against the driver side.

Starleen, realistically I may never move the bed into a sofa position, but it would be nice to have the option if something comes up or I need to move something big. I was also considering having one of my galley shelves flip up, this giving me more room if needed.

I'm trying for maximum flexibility, if that makes any sense. :)

Thanks for your opinions; keep 'em coming!
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ageless » Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 pm

With this and many others; I have to question size of the bed. Seems everyone has to have queen or king and I just have to ask . . why?

Yea, I'm thin and can fit in a Navy 27"bunk, but do you really need to waste space with a queen? It's not like you are at home and have plenty of floorspace; this is camping; space is at a premium.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby vtx1029 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:33 am

I agree with the entry door I would get one. I think we would be lost with out ours. I'm also more of a drop down door fan then the cargo door styles much more useful imo.

Why not build some bunks up front, its much better use of space or do a drop down style bed.... I'm building some bunks in our trailer right now and they should be super comfy.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=36850
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 am

Kixwy2 wrote:....that's a good point about the barn doors I didn't think about.

I'm trying for maximum flexibility, if that makes any sense. :)

... glad to see you took my advice ... fixed the lamps ... "now go build a tear" ... :)

ok ... so your going for the larger 6X12, intresting; I love the space in the CT and have used it lots of late in the cold winter and am happy with the design; the exterior shape is utilitarian but oh well it serves its propose; look up my CT design in "build journals;" a work in progress and pics in album; beds are dismantled in pics, note the movable 21" ht boxes;

Things I have noticed ... I use the side door as opposed to the barn doors; pay attention to the comments above and design around the doors; i did manage to use 2 sliding barrel "snitche" locks on the barn doors to lock from the inside and one on the front door.; Ive seen others install RV style locks, that I'll install in the future.

I have found in colder wet weather I have spent more time inside that i ever imagined; so the couch idea is a good idea; fold up the bed so you have more room to manouver and a place to sit down will be much appreciated ... also I have used my coleman stove inside with the door adjar and the vent fans going ( not recommended for 2 reasons, #1 - burnt gas = CO2 - can kill; 2- lots of moisture is generated from cooking and burning white gas; but it was too cold to move everthing outside...).

Your using up lots of space for the cupboards in the front; you could go to 18" and make them movable boxes to sit on. Consider upper cupboards in the front, then they'll be out of the way and handy and along the upper sides; on the sides make them not so tall / deep, say 10" max, and below bed storage movable box ideas ... now your getting flexable.

Cheers BC Dave

[/img] http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=64244 [img]
Last edited by BC Dave on Wed May 19, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Wed May 19, 2010 12:39 am

Kixwy2,

Nice icon. I may put up a photo of one of my daughters instead of the little trailer as my icon. I got in trouble with another member the last time I tried that though. :o

On the side door: Some brands of cargo trailer come with the side door framed in under the skin, even though there's no side door. You won't have that option farther back on the curb-side wall. You'd be cutting though structural uprights under the skin. NG. If you take down the trailer's stock paneling to insulate, you'll see how it's built. If you're experienced in woodworking and have worked with sheet metal (aluminum), you could take off the barn doors, build an insulated wood-framed rear, covered in aluminum to match the trailer. Then you could put in an RV door, centered (like on the trailer Ageless has) or offset to one side (based on your floor plan). RV doors are very easy to cut to height. We cut one really short to fit a 4 ft. high teardrop a week and a half ago at my friend's house. Cut one for my Featherlite too. (Real RV doors, not just sheet metal over OSB or plywood, like those that come stock on cargo trailers.)

And ditto what BC Dave said about the sofa. Absolutely. My trailer has the width to have a futon bed. It gets a lot of use as a sofa and leaves walking space in the trailer when it's folded up as a sofa.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Kixwy2 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 am

Hey BC Dave,

I watched your build, especially the nifty heater you added. :thumbsup: I was seriously considering a 6x10 but when I taped it out on the floor I was a little surprised at how much space was taken up by bed length. Even if I cut the bed to a full size, it only drops 5 inches, from 80 to 75.

Definitely planning on cabinets above the shelving and above the head of the bed/sofa.

Here's the thing: I go camping in some very extreme conditions - like out in the desert, for almost two weeks at a time. Not only can it be extremely hot, but winds kick up and blow everything all to hell, even the best secured shade structures. Last August we had a tethered 10x20 shade structure made with 3/4 inch galvanized pipe, couplers, and tarps blow up and crumple in on itself. Last May up in Benton, CA a bunch of us campers got a surprise three hour flash flood/hailstorm. Anyone in a tent was flooded, and people who were camping in the back of trucks were suddenly in town drying out their belongings at the fluff and fold.

So being able to get out of all that is a huge deal. I do backpacking trips and don't mind the Thermarests and mummy bags, but if I'm in a spot for a period of time, working a gig or otherwise, I want to be fairly comfortable. I really like the idea of a galley accessible at the back by the barn doors, but I'm having issues with the bed and a possible side door...
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed May 19, 2010 5:52 am

I am going to answer ageless question about why a queen or king size bed. I am 5'16" and substantially sized, Nancy is 5'8" and well, matches me. At home we have a California King and the main reason is so that during the summer you don't stick or hang over. A double mattress gives you the width of a crib mattress and in the confines of hard sides it means cooperation in turning over.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed May 19, 2010 10:43 am

Kixwy2,

Some more ideas for you from people's previous posts on this forum:

...and this one is removable:
More photos of it at: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=32926&start=0

Hope that helps you in deciding about doors.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby DougH » Wed May 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Who says the galley has to be the same widh on both sides? Make one 24" for the "working" side and the other 18" or even 12" wide and use mainly for storage.
DougH
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions