First Camping trip someone tried to Steal our Trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

First Camping trip someone tried to Steal our Trailer

Postby RvMan56 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:17 pm

We are new here and have just bought a Carry-On 2010 6x12 and started converting it, the bed was ready so of to the mountains we went, Mancos, Colo. While out riding our ATV someone entered our camp, the stole 2 gas cans, cut the locks off the rear ramp door and had raised the jacks part way, I guess they weren't familiar with the stabilizers and couldn't get them up all the way, they ruined my tongue jack trying to drag the trailer off , they apparently were scared off before the cut the tongue lock off. The back end was full of firewood but under the wood they didn't see my tools or my air compressor which is bolted to the floor now. I am starting the electric this week, have a shower, air-cond and will be getting a fridge soon. Luckily I had the new genny u-bolted to the frame.
Anyone else had this happen on US Forest Area's before?

RvMan56 :twisted:

http://picasaweb.google.com/winghawg1/June2010#

http://picasaweb.google.com/winghawg1/OurCamperTrailer#
RvMan56
Teardrop Inspector

Postby oklahomajewel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:45 pm

WOW !!!! Sorry to hear that ! Good thing they didn't get away with it or do anything worse!

I've never heard of anyone anywhere having a trailer vandalized or stolen.

Hang in there!
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby lonerider » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:57 pm

nothing a couple of well placed Claymores wouldn't solve :x
lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

Re: First Camping trip someone tried to Steal our Trailer

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:04 pm

RvMan56 wrote:Anyone else had this happen on US Forest Area's before?

I really don't want to generalize - but your last statement really sez alot - it had been my experience in parts of US forest Area's in East Texas is that you are at your own risk when yo camp there. Some thieves are just waiting for you to enter into THEIR domain. They know that you are off on your ATV"s - so they just wait for you to leave. Some are pretty brazen - you are not THEIR first. I know In Texas, you are on the Honor system when you camp in the national forests areas - some go for the ruggedness of the areas - but it's camper beware - there are meth labs and pot groves out there and the people who run them are no good folks. I've always maintained that you need to make it hard for folks to steal your stuff - If you're out for a while, Take your tire off your rig - they may cut a lock or break a chain, but they have to bring tire if they really want your rig!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:19 pm

That sucks. I do my best to throw on the hitch lock and have everything secured prior to us leaving camp or going to bed. Thieves and vandals are pretty thick in our neck of the woods according to the forest service but we haven't been bothered yet. (Knock on wood).
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RvMan56 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:57 pm

lonerider wrote:nothing a couple of well placed Claymores wouldn't solve :x

I agree but since Claymores are hard to find, not to mention illegal :x I guess better locks is best, I bought a new Reese Tongue lock already.
RvMan56
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:24 am

Interesting to speculate what can be done to make our trailers more theft resistant.:worship:

Locks, esoteric non standard couplers, detachable couplers, custom graphics. To attache the solar panel I found tamper resistant screws that use a driver not in the HF 101 tamper resistant bit set.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby hunter535 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:54 am

Wow that does really suck. :x

I am sorry that happened to you but I am thankful for you posting that here. It really makes me think about how secure I should make our CT the next time we go out and about with ours. Thank you!
hunter535
Teardrop Master

Postby goramsey » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:19 pm

I have thought about security quite a bit over the years. The idea of leaving the campsite for a long period of time doesn't exist as far as I am concerned. I am not a trusting person by nature, for good reason. I try and use every possible means to secure my property. As the population increases, so do the bad guys. There seems to be an ever increasing number of people that would rather steal than work for what they want. You find them everywhere.
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ramseys-T ... 4019963253

Hunger makes a thief of any man. ~Pearl S. Buck
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Fran Lebowitz
http://www.ramseystravels.com/blog/
http://www.ramseystravels.com
goramsey
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Sounds like Attila the Hun, all over again!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RvMan56 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:24 pm

goramsey wrote: The idea of leaving the campsite for a long period of time doesn't exist as far as I am concerned. I am not a trusting person by nature, for good reason.

Well we were only gone 2 hours that afternoon, but in the morning we were gone several hours. Well we are ready to get on with getting it completed and hopefully before July 4th I have the toilet and shower to put in. Some of the little parts will nickel and dime you to death. Will a regular house toilet 3" flange work on a rv toilet?
:thinking:
RvMan56
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Engineer Guy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:43 am

The idea above on using non-standard hardware is a great one. I'll be sure to protect my future PV Panels, etc., via that method.

A pal has had his CT full of Electrical contractor gear broken into and emptied twice around suburban Boulder CO, and the foothills. ~$20k of equipment lost each time. Thieves used a 'hardened' circular blade on a battery-powered Drill. RV Man56's super Album pix of his CT in 'our' CO mountains highlights how vulnerable a potential target a CT is while guessing at the valuable items inside.

All I've been able to think of for my future CT conversion is to install a Car-type security system that runs off the primary, enclosed battery in a vented battery box. The weatherpproofed siren could point down through holes in the [dropped?] floor. A mercury level switch from an old house thermostat could mount on a small arc of plywood near the door held by a wingnut. I would adjust the switch level [concealed in a Kitchen cab?] to be barely 'off' just before leaving. This would adjust for Trailer level at set up. If someone jacked the CT for towing w/chains sans a locked coupler ball, this level switch would close and set off the screaming alarm w/timer. Magnetic 'reed' switches would cover the other openings.

I think, with tweaking, this system would be relatively fool- and pet-proof. The only protection this system would provide would be via the surprise of the Alarm, and the difficulty of finding and disabling it. Pros and cons, I know... The 'stealth' factor advantage is why I don't post signs like 'This Property Is Protected By Smith & Wesson' on our remote House & Properties. Why warn thieving turdballs that I have loaded Concealed Carry weapons on site?

Removing a Tire sounds better than using a massive chain and lock through spoked Hubs. Chains can be cut, as can cam locks. What a hassle, though...

Toilet Flange info is likely in a Manual here:

http://www.thetford.com/Thetford/HOME/P ... fault.aspx

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/Applicatio ... fault.aspx
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:36 pm

I looked at security bolts and screws closely and my goal was to make it as difficult as possible with out going totally nuts (pun intended). The mounting screws for our PV panel are recessed into plastic mounts and you can not grasp them with a vise grip etc, on top of that they are dome heads.
But if you really want unique there is a company that makes screws with a unique pentagonal recessed drive, sort of like the Mcguard wheel locks idea.
If some one wants something badly enough they can steal it, the idea is to make it not easy and to make them have to perform a number of tasks, i.e. cutting off locks and chains or a wheel cuff and a coupler lock, but make sure you have an extra set of keys stashed some place.
One source is www.kryptonitelock.com check the how to secure your stuff pages for ideas.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby RvMan56 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:33 pm

:thumbsup: Hey you guy's are great, thanks for the reply's, the manual for the toilet doesn't speak of a house flange but I found info from someone else who used one and said they are the same, on my way shortly to get one. I will try to post pictures tomorrow since I will be installing the shower and toilet, ran some electrical yesterday.
:applause:
RvMan56
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Curtis in Texas » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:27 pm

I was just reading an article that stated that many Illegals in Arizona are moving to New Mexico this summer. Seems the Latest Immigration Enforcement for Illegals in Arizona is having a positive effect in Arizona. The Illegal Aliens are seeking safer ground.

With few recources for income, some may be taking to desperate measures for survival.

Wonder if that has anything to do with your experience.
I hope not, I have a camping trip to New Mexico coming up soon.
Curtis in Texas
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions