Painting aluminum cargo trailer roof for heat protection

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Painting aluminum cargo trailer roof for heat protection

Postby steveaus » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:07 am

I've got a white cargo trailer that gets quite hot inside in the desert sun. I realized the roof is bare, unpainted aluminum.

Any suggestions on what I should use to paint it white? Just plain-old white paint?

Any idea why the factory leaves the roof unpainted?
steveaus
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Painting aluminum cargo trailer roof for heat protection

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:53 pm

steveaus wrote:I've got a white cargo trailer that gets quite hot inside in the desert sun. I realized the roof is bare, unpainted aluminum.

Any suggestions on what I should use to paint it white? Just plain-old white paint?

I would look for one of the insulating elastometric coating designed for mobile homes.....

Any idea why the factory leaves the roof unpainted?

errrr, because they can and it's cheaper that way................
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Or polish/clean it up. There some insulative paints but not likely to do much unless you want to use something like http://www.thermoshieldproducts.com
Experience http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6544 looks to be about $65 a gallon
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby michiganflipper » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:44 am

here is what i used on my trailer and it seem to make a big differnt http://www.koolseal.com/
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby astrotrailer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:50 am

I have 2 inches of insulation under the roof and it makes a big difference on keeping it cool.
astrotrailer
Teardrop Master

Postby steveaus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've taken a look at some of those links. I guess the main question is will the elastomeric roof coatings significantly outperform a heavy coat of white high gloss paint?

I can see they are better for leaks, but I don't see whether or not they are much better than high gloss paint when it comes to reducing heat collection/transfer into the trailer.
steveaus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steveaus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:17 am

michiganflipper wrote:here is what i used on my trailer and it seem to make a big differnt http://www.koolseal.com/

I looked at the Kool Seal. What did you do for prep below the Kool Seal. One coat or two of the Kool Seal?

Thanks!
steveaus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby razorback » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 pm

read about this stuff. Quite expensive but the results seem to speak for themselves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo0C4tOOT2A
There are many other links to this product.
good luck
larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby michiganflipper » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:46 pm

here is what i use it is from Bio kleen http://www.biokleen.com/aluminum-cleaner
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

roof

Postby Jeffmo63 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:26 pm

I am going to try Rustoleum Marine White. It is relatvely inexpensive and I got it right off the shelf at Menards. See my album for pic of 140 degree roof temp. Also, per the recommendation of several I am installing a Fantastic vent. A little pricey but I am assured they are worth the money. Good luck.
Last edited by Jeffmo63 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Re: roof

Postby steveaus » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Jeffmo63 wrote:I am going to try Rustolem Marine White. It is relatvely inexpensive and I got it right off the shelf at Menards. See my album for pic of 140 degree roof temp. Also, per the recommendation of several I am installing a Fantastic vent. A little pricey but I am assured they are worth the money. Good luck.

That's an impressive photo! Have you taken a measurement in comparable conditions with the Rustoleum Marine White?
steveaus
Teardrop Inspector

Re: roof

Postby Jeffmo63 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:29 pm

steveaus wrote:
Jeffmo63 wrote:I am going to try Rustolem Marine White. It is relatvely inexpensive and I got it right off the shelf at Menards. See my album for pic of 140 degree roof temp. Also, per the recommendation of several I am installing a Fantastic vent. A little pricey but I am assured they are worth the money. Good luck.

That's an impressive photo! Have you taken a measurement in comparable conditions with the Rustoleum Marine White?

No, I have not made comparisons yet as I have not painted the roof. I am waiting for my Fantastic Vent to come in and I will install and paint roof at the same time.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:44 pm

I’m just curious, but it seems like I remember that aluminum might need some special prep work, no? Do keep us posted on the process, and the results (long and short term).
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jeffmo63 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:17 pm

kennyrayandersen wrote:I’m just curious, but it seems like I remember that aluminum might need some special prep work, no? Do keep us posted on the process, and the results (long and short term).

Yes, I think you are right about the aluminum. But I am nearly certain my trailer top is sheet steel like the sides. I had planned on washing it down really well with soap and water, rinsed, and followed with a scuffing with one of those green weenies (3M Scotchbrite pad). A wipe with mineral spirits just before painting ought to do it.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Jeffmo63 wrote:Yes, I think you are right about the aluminum. But I am nearly certain my trailer top is sheet steel like the sides. I had planned on washing it down really well with soap and water, rinsed, and followed with a scuffing with one of those green weenies (3M Scotchbrite pad). A wipe with mineral spirits just before painting ought to do it.

Somehow I was thinking it was aluminum -- so many of them I see are -- sounds like that should work OK

OH, I just realized Steve was saying HIS was aluminum -- I knew I had read that somewhere.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions