What works well for counter top?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Weight

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Not to hijack the thread:

Although my build is probably on the heavier side (frame and no lack of wood structure) it's not a major concern for me as I can't ride in small vehicles due to the nature of the ride so will always tow with a crossover or or mini van.

I have seen the interiors of some big motorhomes and am in awe of the lack of concern about weight. My experience towing my utility/dump trailer is about a 15% drop in mileage when towing it on the highway (it weighs a ton empty). I expect the teardrop to be better due to the areodynamics.

Everything is a compromise but the big boys sure don't seem to be concerned with weight. I wonder if they have tested and determined that weight doesn't play that big a part after you get past a certain point?

I think there are a lot of reasons to keep the weight of a teardrop within the limits of the tow vehicle. I kinda think a granite countertop is over my line, ha. A few tile proably won't contribute that much (particularly if you leave out the wonderboard).

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:46 pm

deceiver wrote:
chorizon wrote:
caseydog wrote:
d30gaijin wrote:
planovet wrote:2x2 stone tiles :D

Very nice looking but doesn't that add a fair amount of weight? :thinking:

There's a guy in the Houston area that used a solid slab of granite for his galley top. Honest, I've seen it -- so has PlanoVet.

Hey cat, do you have pictures of BigDE's granite galley?

CD

Cat no repondez?

I dug this up from last year's Guadalupe Adventure...

That may not be granite. You see what looks like that on a lot of bathroom vanities. I had one myself. It's made from milk bottles.

Nope, it really is granite. That is the first question everyone asks when they see it, "IS THAT GRANITE??!!!" :o

Yep, it's granite. :lol:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Crazylegs » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks yall I found some formica that I can use half for counter and other half for a table that will hang on the outside. I am strugeling with how to do my cabnets any sugestins?
Crazylegs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Be sure to check out the Galley Gallery for ideas!!!!
:thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby planovet » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:20 am

caseydog wrote:Nope, it really is granite. That is the first question everyone asks when they see it, "IS THAT GRANITE??!!!" :o

Yep, it's granite. :lol:

Yep, I've seen it and it really is granite. Very impressive! :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby RvMan56 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:15 pm

I am gonna paint ours bright yellow and add several coats of polyurethane.
:twisted:

:thumbsup:
RvMan56
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rebapuck » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:02 pm

In my VW, I have just a small counter. I used a standard 18x24 wood cuttingboard. I wasn't thinking when I installed the first one. Put screws on 4 sides and it buckled from expansion/contraction. Second one was installed with just two hinges along one side.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:10 pm

I made the flip out cabinets with 1/2" osb and covered it with a halo of luan veneer around an insert of 4" tile. I layed the tile out in a manner where nothing had to be cut and framed the area with the luan halo. I used brite white rubberized bathroom caulk to set the tile in and to grout it with. About 4000 miles and all are where I put them. Has worked out better than I planned and hot pans and propane cooktops are no worry at all.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Thinking a nice sheet metal top over 1/2" plywood would be practical , LIGHT, burn proof and you could bend up the rear edge as a splash guard ... Copper would be attractive/decorative , and not too expensive ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:16 am

I got Formica remnants from Habitat for Humanity's RESTORE for $5 a piece, then glued them down to 1/2 inch plywood. :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby chukar » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:39 am

I used a scrap of floor lino on a 3/4" ply top. Think I paid about $10 at a carpet store. Easy to cut and install; used lino floor glue. I like the rubberized surface for its no-slide aspect and it is easy to clean. I still have plenty left to redo if ever needed or for another project.

[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=62803[img][/img][/img]
chukar
Donating Member

Postby csgmtu » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 pm

I used a heavy higher quality stick on tile. Not the cheapos, the ones that are made to look like slate. got em at Menards :)
csgmtu
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Sam I am » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:09 pm

I used laminated pine shelving. It's stiff, but not real heavy. It's finished with 3 coats of glossy urethane varnish. Is has worked well for 4 years. It resists water and grease very well.

Sam I am
500 Club

Postby vtx1029 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:58 pm

vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby chukar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:43 am

vtx1029 wrote:How about a HDPE cutting board?

Order the size you want here
http://www.interstateplastics.com/Natl-Hdpe-Cutting-Board-Sheet-HDPNEC.php?sku=HDPNEC&vid=201009082356-1p&thickness=0.375&dim2=24&dim3=48&qty=1&2=Price+it+%3E%A0%A0

Surly you jest.

$54 plus $45 shipping for a Cargo Trailer cutting board?

Here is one from Wally world like the one I have in my Cargo (got mine for $2 at a garage sale) for under $12 with tax.

Oh, now I see what you are talking about. Using it instead of ply and formica....actually not a bad idea for a teardrop size.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-12X ... d/13397991
chukar
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions