sporting clays toy hauler almost ready to go

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

sporting clays toy hauler almost ready to go

Postby jwhite » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:10 pm

I wanted to build a cargo trailer conversion so I could go to sporting clays tournaments as a vendor, I also like to shoot in these events so I need to haul my custom golf cart and be able to camp while I am there.
These are kind of high dollar events most are held at resorts or hunting preserves or hunting plantations, most vendors normally have Larger custom made trailers and toy hauler type trailers they work out of.

I had a new 7x16 trailer built that is 12 inches taller so my golf cart will go in and give me plenty of head room inside, I also had them build in a slant front roof, install a RV screen door and 30/30 window and a set of mag wheels, these extras added about a thousand dollars to the cost but I thought it was worth it to have them do it.

I splurged on a few things like a full size bed that folds up, a polished bar sink with a nice faucet with a built in hand sprayer and a 4 foot counter top from lowes.

Most of the time I won’t have power so I bought a Honda 2000 generator with a extended run 6 gallon tank, my electric is simple just a surge protector And a heavy drop cords, I can run my 12000 BTU portable air conditioner my golf cart battery charger and my TV all at the same time without a problem, to take a shower or run the microwave I have to shut off the AC, I have 2 deep cycle batteries that run my lights and stereo so it lasts for quite a while.
I bought a new New Rockford fosgate marine type CD-DVD player a with a remote control and a pair of 6x9 oval speakers, I bought a new flat screen HDTV and I had a pair of home stereo speakers I wasn’t using all tied together it sounds as good as the one in my home. It will rock the block.

I lucked out and found a really nice reclining leather love seat for 50.00 off craigslist the guy said he paid 900.00 for it, I put some wheels on it so I can easily roll it around.
I was going for a comfortable Man Cave on wheels feel so I put down some nice flooring and bead board paneling on the ceiling and I found some remnant carpet at lowes on sale and put that on the walls, I put 2 layers of insulation in the whole trailer.

added some roll down shades also across the back door.

My shower is 2ft wide and 3ft deep with tile at the base, I found a smaller type water heater I won for 40.00 off ebay that works perfect, it needed a water flow tap so the slower the water goes through it the hotter it gets. I also ran a hose so while the water is warming up the water is also going into my portable toilet so I have no water waste.

I built a door in the back of the shower so I can get into the Vnose area of the trailer there I have a 16 gallon water tank 12volt water pump and more room for shelves and storage. I cut a hole in the floor and I plan to leave it open and build a wooden box around my battery so I can charge my battery and it can exhaust any fumes out the bottom.

I don’t plan on doing a whole lot of cooking most events provide food vendors and a banquet, I have a small grill and with the microwave I can warm up already cooked food I take with me.
Most trips are maybe 3 to 5 days tops so I bought a really nice ice chest that has a partition and 2 lids I think that is all I need.

I need to finish the bed

I need to finish a few things like trim works and some drawers under the sink and to the left of the kitchen area needs some drawers, run a couple more lights.

Microwave goes on this shelf and my honda generator goes under the microwave.

I am going to have a roll down bug screen with Velcro attached at the back of the trailer.
It’s ready to go.

New Decals
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby rxc463 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:41 am

WOW! Great job on the conversion. Looks really comfortable. You will really "blend" with those high dollar rigs. We have a sporting clays facility just a few miles from us. Been promising myself to get there one day. To say that I lack tournament skills would be an understatement. Sure beats the heck out of trap and skeet though. Enjoy your new rig. :thumbsup:
Russ

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
rxc463
The 300 Club

Postby JohnH » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:48 am

Dam sam :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JohnH
Teardrop Inspector

Postby michiganflipper » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:57 am

very nice
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:29 am

Looks like you got your self a very nice rig, :thumbsup:

Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby steve smoot » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:31 am

Ditto... :thumbsup:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby MegC » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Quite the man cave! Just curious, who made the trailer?
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jwhite » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:26 pm

I had never thought about converting a cargo trailer until a guy at my gun club was talking about the one he was doing, he said that there were some huge cargo trailer factories in the south GA area and they made several brands of trailers and quite a few companies had connections with the factories and they would custom build any type trailer you wanted.

this is a great web site> my neighbor a web master built it
you can spend days looking at trailers for sale here.
http://www.trailershopper.com/

if you look at the Ads here you will notice how many are located in the South GA area.
I went with http://www.kingdomtrailers.com/

they are about 100 miles from me = I wish that I had went over and looked at the trailers before I ordered mine because I wasn't pleased with the color I chose, I thought mine was a going to be darker grey.
I also may have chosen the diamond plating on the sides and back that come with the motorcycle packages, mine looked real plain next to some of the others on the lot > that's why I put the decals on mine.
but it was around 500.00 more for that.?
but they were very helpful and did not rush me and would give me a price estimate so I could add to or take away what I wanted.
I noticed that most of these dealers have trailers on Ebay and Craigs List and they all charge about the same for the added features.
I think that if I didn't have to have the added height I could have just bought one off Ebay from any of these dealers.[/url]
jwhite
The 300 Club

Re: sporting clays toy hauler almost ready to go

Postby d30gaijin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:00 pm

jwhite wrote:I wanted to build a cargo trailer conversion so I could go to sporting clays tournaments as a vendor, I also like to shoot in these events so I need to haul my custom golf cart and be able to camp while I am there.
These are kind of high dollar events most are held at resorts or hunting preserves or hunting plantations, most vendors normally have Larger custom made trailers and toy hauler type trailers they work out of.

Having managed the local 60 acre public shooting range for the past 11 years as a second job (We lived on the range full time but quit last September to resume a normal life), and while we were strictly a rifle and pistol range there was a trap & skeet range 2.8 miles down the road from us. After seeing their clientele compared to ours, well I can confirm that the shotgun shooting sports are high dollar. When they held their tournaments the RV's the participants pulled in with were incredible, as in mostly HUGE!

That's a beautiful CT conversion you have built.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:29 pm

The sporting clays guys are the one's blowing money like there's no tomarrow,the skeet and trap shooters are considered cheap and they are the one's you see camping at a shoot.

It's funny I was telling this guy on the phone about how I was going to build this trailer and stay in it at shoot's and ,he goes yea that's what you need is your own place so your not hanging around the club house or in your car or hotel waiting for your turn to shoot, he says that's why we have a 40ft A class diesil.> = 450.000
after that conversation I thought I hope I am not the only one camping or everyone else has a huge rig and I am in a 7x16 homemade toy hauler,I will feel like I am at the race track and everyone has a thoroughbred and I have a Mule.?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions