Cargo Conversion ...on the CHEAP

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Cargo Conversion ...on the CHEAP

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:30 am

OK, Im SOLD on the idea of a Cargo conversion !!! Due to budgetary restraints,(retired) I'm thinking of finding a good used one (no leaks, metal roof ) , plenty to choose from around here...
SIMPLE insulation and interior, heavy stuff removed /replaced.. sheet vinyl floor
Electrical system : a good GFI extension cord , Flashlights (LED)on hooks for interior lighting ( I have a huge collection of those ) ... Already have a HF solar panel setup and DD battery in box for mounting in the front ... good for simple 12 v needs ...
Small (cheap) AC mounted in the back for cooling, easily replaceable .. Sleeping bags and pads for the bed and LOTS of pillows..
Electric hotplate , small microwave, coffee maker , bucket for sink ... and a small Hibachi for grilling outside ... and a good Igloo ...maybe even a very small "dorm" reefer.. (got all that already)
Furniture: a couple folding chairs ... got em'..
And yes a porta potty and privacy curtain ...
Small TV and portable radio ... Got those too ...
Plastic crates and HD re-cycle type (Wal Mart $1.00) grocery bags for storage...
How simple is that ??? Should be pretty Light too when re-configured

Any additional considerations youze' guys can think of ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kstephenson » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Sounds like a great plan. Kind of the route I took. Keeping it simple but fun. I have a 6 x 12 Pace.
Check my album for pics
Keep us posted on your progress......post pics when you can
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:48 pm

K, that's looking real Good !!! :thumbsup:
I just have to find a Trailer now (currently looking around) ...
I found out (the hard and bitter way ) that the commercial travel trailers weren't worth all the extra expense and maintenance hassles ... Those are only for the rich who can shell out several thousand a year just to keep their rigs functional.. $> And their BRUTAL depreciation is 4 times worse than a car ... :o Already my TT is worth less than I still owe on it ... That's just not right ... :cry:
Figuring I can do a simple cargo conversion for about 20% of what the TT costs ... and get everything I need/want ... And judging what I've learned from the people who've owned them for years , they are really durable and easy to maintain.. The keyboard man in our band has had one for 5 years (Pace), used to haul his stuff around monthly , and he's had no troubles at all . He just checks/greases the bearings , and goes ... No leaks , no problems ... No further expenses in 5 years (except grease and soap to wash it ) ... Now that's what I need ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:54 pm

I too have found the trailer I want cost 3 times what I can convert a Cargo trailer for and have what I want how I want it.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nathan N » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Sounds like a plan to me. I know it is an evacuation vehicle but you may consider at least one window to allow some light in. Two windows would help with cross ventilation. Just in case you weren't able to access electricity to run your air conditioner.
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Nathan N wrote:Sounds like a plan to me. I know it is an evacuation vehicle but you may consider at least one window to allow some light in. Two windows would help with cross ventilation. Just in case you weren't able to access electricity to run your air conditioner.

Good point. You might end up in some primitive conditions for a bit if you are using it for an evac trailer. You may not have access to power for a fan, and the trailer might become pretty unbearable without some ventilation. A solar panel (this is the only application where I think it is worth the money), a port-a-potty and a water tank would go a long way toward you ‘survival’.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kstephenson » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:55 am

Keeping things simple was my plan. I had alot of the stuff I used already laying around the garage.
Probably the most work went into building the rear wall for the window and AC unit.

I insulated walls and ceiling with DOW 3/4 inch foam insulation. This really made a difference in temperatures. Even on a hot Georgia summer day I can cool my interior down to 70 degrees with my 5000 btu window AC.

I found a piece of indoor/ outdoor carpet for my floor. Easy to clean.

My electrical system consists of a HD GFI power strip at front and rear of trailer. All this plugs into a HD extension cord to shore power. My 12 v system consists of two 12v deep cycle batteries for interior lights and 2 cig lighter outlets....for powering small 12v accessories. I keep my batteries maintained with a 6 amp Guest Battery charger. I also ran a 40 amp circuit to my TV to charge the batteries while traveling down the road. I also use a 800w ATD inverter. This is mainly to run a 120 v AC for a short time. .... dont want to kill the batteries.

My bed is a Inflatable matteress that deflates during the day to save room inside. Pretty comfortable. I have a 4" Base cabinet with countertop at the front of the trailer with a small microwave and MP3 audio system. Instead of TV i opted for my laptop and DVDs. I also have a toaster oven and a ronco rotessorie. Coffee maker and rice cooker also onboard. I have a 2 burner propane stove that uses the throw away bottles. I have a folding card table and chairs. Also built a table that folds and is attached to the inside wall at the rear. I use a Coleman Extreme cooler for food items. And a reg cooler for drinks. Bottled water from the store for drinking and a 5 gal water container for personal hygene and dishes. Recently purchased a shower tent and battery operated shower system. For those restroom emergencies I use the Reliance 5 gal bucket with seat....lots of tall kitchen bags....haha

My best ideal I had .( well it was my wifes ideal....lol)...is my sliding screen door. Check the pics in my album for this. Cost about 35 dollars to make....and works great.

I kept the trailer orginal when closed up....so it still just looks like a utility trailer. Keep people from being nosey.

Its been alot of fun....and I know I ll continue to make improvemnts as time goes on.
Kevin
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:04 am

Windows ... Yes !!
Primitive conditions during evac ... Been there done that !!! ;) I have many friends with a driveway to park in ... all over the South ..
Porta Potty , Water ... Part of the plan !!! Solar water heater ... got it !!!
Solar panels/battery , got em' .. in fact have most of the stuff I need already , just have to get the trailer ... get busy
K, sounds good to me !!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Guys !!!
Well into hurricane season now ...gotta' get busy ... Insulation and Interior shouldn't take but a few days to install ... EASY ..
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:21 am

So what's a brand good cargo trailer to get ... seen all kinds around here... any preferences???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Simple = yes!!

Postby ho-do » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:44 am

That is/was my plan too. I was tired of fixing leaking plumbing on RV's and paying too high labor costs at dealerships whenever something went wrong with the AC or Fridge or ... So I have made my rig all from Home Depot or Lowes except for the re-circulating toilet which I already had on hand.

Now it is easy to fix/repair and I can do it all myself.
ho-do
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:11 pm

Ho-Do , that sounds LOGICAL to me !!! Can't afford the RV "Money game".. $> That's just for the rich coach owners and the Suckers ... :twisted:
This , after MUCHO' intensive reading , seems to be the quickest and simplest way to get a livable vehicle ... and for a reasonable price ... Nothing easier so far I've found ... Thrifty if I can find a good one used ... pretty much have everything else except a window shaker AC and a small microwave ... Simple interior and Bob's your uncle ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kstephenson » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:22 pm

GPW

Mines a Pace American..... not really expensive but good quality
Kevin
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Kevin , thanks ... That's the kind the guy in our band has , and he's had 0 problems with his .... and it gets used all the time (hauling) and his lives outside with no problems ... I already have a shed so that will be even better ...

I found a dealer about 40 miles away so will have to drive over and check them out ...

GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby d30gaijin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:04 pm

kstephenson wrote:My bed is a Inflatable matteress that deflates during the day to save room inside. Pretty comfortable. I also have... a ronco rotessorie.

We bought an inflatable mattress for our cargo conversion but haven't tried it yet, so we are happy to see you find it comfortable. What we do have is a Ronco rotisserie too and use it all the time at the house. I had not thought about taking it along in the cargo conversion but will now. We love ours! It makes a $4.50 whole chicken taste top of the line, same with an under 12 pound turkey.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby kstephenson » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:42 pm

it works great....... Set it and Forget it....... :)
I have one for the house and one for the trailer.
Kevin
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions