Used U Haul truck boxes ...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Thinking Outside The [U-Haul] Box

Postby Engineer Guy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:37 am

Heading north out of Denver last Sunday while a steady stream of weekend warriors headed south, we saw an interesting implementation. A fellow had his cabover Truck Camper mounted backwards on a single axle, ATV hauling-style, 5' x 9' [?] Utility Trailer with the ramps up, of course. There were no yellow Semi Truck straps evident, so I assumed this was an ingenious weekend rig he had devised with Camper held firmly in place some other way. The Trailer sidewalls were the usual ~1'-high angle iron.

Perhaps fixed or removable Camper Jacks would be one way to lift off a Camper or U-Haul box and still have use of a heavy duty Utility Trailer too. A fellow on this Forum did a sharp job of building a permanent box onto a Trailer with >1' sidewalls.

On the commercial, dual-axle Utility Trailers I've looked at so far to perhaps 'roll my own' CT box, the ~1' sidewalls were reportedly an integral part of the Trailer strength, not to be altered or removed. Heavier-duty Car Haulers have no sidewall angle iron, and permit more box design freedom. But, typically at a higher cost and weight.

On a Boat storage lot up the Interstate, we also saw 3 used U-Haul Trucks for sale, with rentals also. One had the box intact; the other 2 had no boxes. One had to wonder if the boxes were damaged or sold off separately? Perhaps the local U-Haul franchise or used Commercial Truck lot is a good place to start a box search...
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:19 pm

EG, they're out there if you can find them ...
Revolting development : Now the guy I was dealing with got GREEDY and doubled the price ... :twisted:
I told him that price was too Free Ken high and walked away ... :o
More searching is indicated ... :cry:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NathanL » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:28 pm

More like the price went up when demand went up.
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:38 am

As soon as I showed some solid interest , the price went up ...Grrrrr!!! This guy should have been a CEO for a bank ... :twisted: What an A-ho!!! :x
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions