Rear Door Height

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Rear Door Height

Postby Mountain Cur » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:17 am

I need to have a rear door height of at least 5'10" to get a UTV inside. I would take either the ramp or the two doors if one of the two has a taller opening. Of the few trailer dealers I called all said the rear opening for their trailers either ramp or barn doors were the same height. Anybody know of a brand of trailer with slightly taller rear opening than most? I would rather not pull around overheight trailer if I didn't have to.

While asking about rear door option it seems I see more two door conversions on here than ramp. A lot of manufactures seem to be the same price now for either ramp or barn door. Is the two door just so much better for camping? Thanks
Mountain Cur
Teardrop Builder

Postby d30gaijin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:54 am

Mountain Cur,

See this thread (currently the last photo) and ask JWhite where he got his trailer (his has a 6 1/2' tall ramp door opening): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=29577&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

As to barn doors being more popular than a ramped door I think it depends on what your primary use will be. Getting vehicles in and out would make the ramp a better selection, in my mind. My conversion has barn doors simply because that's what I found in a used CT at a good price. I think, possibly, more CT's are built with barn doors because they sell big to the construction trades and that puts more barn door trailers on the used market.

Don
Last edited by d30gaijin on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:34 am

I can only speak for myself but if your going to use it like a toy hauler or if you want to move anything you will want the ramp door,I would think that having to set up ramps to load anything would be a real hassle and would get old fast.
I looked for over a year on craigs list and Ebay and found out that it's better to just buy a new trailer most of the used ones weren't that much cheaper and for a few hundred dollars more you can have one built just the way you want.
For me I wanted one that was taller for the golf cart and I am 6ft so in a stock trailer my head was touching the ceiling and I would have had to take the roof off the cart so I knew I would rather have the cart with the roof so I can get out of the sun and rain.
It was the same price to have the roof 6inch or 12inches around 200.00 or less so I went with 12inches and glad I did.
I also had them put rear stabilizers on the trailer and for 50.00 that was well worth the money,the first thing I noticed when I looked at the trailer was it was kind of shakey walking around in the trailer but when I got it home and put the rear stabilizers down and winched up some tension it's rock solid.

if you look close you can see the stabilizers down.

jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby jwhite » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:34 am

I can only speak for myself but if your going to use it like a toy hauler or if you want to move anything you will want the ramp door,I would think that having to set up ramps to load anything would be a real hassle and would get old fast.
I looked for over a year on craigs list and Ebay and found out that it's better to just buy a new trailer most of the used ones weren't that much cheaper and for a few hundred dollars more you can have one built just the way you want.
For me I wanted one that was taller for the golf cart and I am 6ft so in a stock trailer my head was touching the ceiling and I would have had to take the roof off the cart so I knew I would rather have the cart with the roof so I can get out of the sun and rain.
It was the same price to have the roof 6inch or 12inches around 200.00 or less so I went with 12inches and glad I did.
I also had them put rear stabilizers on the trailer and for 50.00 that was well worth the money,the first thing I noticed when I looked at the trailer was it was kind of shakey walking around in the trailer but when I got it home and put the rear stabilizers down and winched up some tension it's rock solid.

if you look close you can see the stabilizers down.

jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Mountain Cur » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. jwhite that is some kind of nice on your conversion!! WOW it looks great. What is the make of your trailer? Also I really liked how your bed was encased along the wall. :applause: Is that a trade secret or can you elaborate on how that works for you. Thanks again guys.
Mountain Cur
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions