Thanks for all the ideas.....

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Thanks for all the ideas.....

Postby LShrew » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:30 am

I have been lurking here since last fall and decided to take the plunge. I started to convert my 6x12 Haulmark a few months ago. working on it when I get the chance. We spend almost all our time outside when camping so our main priority is getting a good nights sleep. Thus the queen size bed that takes up most of the room inside. The frame is lightweight (overstock.com) with plenty of height for storage underneath. The frame and bed can be placed on the side for more room if needed.

We also wanted air conditioning but did not want the expense of a roof unit so I built a small 2' wall and installed a 5000btu window unit. It does a real good job of keeping the place cool. I have insulated most of the CT with the 1" foam. Under the air I screwed in a funnel and connected a hose for all the condensate to drain on the ground.

In the front area where the CT bows out I built 2 counter tops, one over the other. And below I have a nice large area for bigger things that I can control with the bungie cords.

We took our initial trip 2 weeks ago. And it went as good as can be expected. We had almost 5" of rain over the 3 days. It would come down in buckets for hours and then the sun would come out for a few and then the rain returned. Putting jacks under the ramp made a nice little porch and kept us nice and dry.

If you want to really find out what you need or what you don't need while camping in general, go during the rain. It will tell you alot.

Much better than a tent, cheaper than an overpriced RV and you can customize it to your needs. It doesn't get any better than this!

:applause: Thanks again for all the ideas. The way you people help each other out can be hard to find at times and it is good to be a part of something like that.
LShrew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Spotman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Looks good and like the covered porch. 8)
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby Mountain Cur » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Nice comfortable camp. :applause: When you built the back wall do you think it would be possible to have built one that went all the way across that would be light enought to put up and take down fairly easy? I am looking to build one for fall/winter camping during hunting season. Thought it would be nice if had removeable wall with a window and door in it. That way after unloading atv slide wall in. Just trying to come up with a way a guy could have windows and vent heater or whatever through wall without having to cut holes in trailer.
Mountain Cur
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 pm

Very nice :applause:
I agree with the overpriced trailers.
but some folks want more than the basics
I guess that's why they build the more costly ones.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby LShrew » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:44 pm

I thought about a removable wall but was concerned about the removable part while driving down the road. I still have over 40" to get the stuff I need in and out opposite the wall so I was OK with it.

I have had the opportunity to go the the Huge RV show in Hershey, PA every year. I saw 1 toyhauler that caught my eye last year. They had a swinging rear wall. The wall was mounted on bearings, top and bottom, on the one side and had caster wheels under the other. The rear wall would be held against the side wall while traveling with the ATV, Motorcycle, etc and after the vehicle was removed the wall would be swung into place at the rear of the trailer. Maybe that could be something for you to check into. :thinking:
LShrew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mountain Cur » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:29 pm

That sounds like a good idea. Will have to think about that one. Thanks :thumbsup:
Mountain Cur
Teardrop Builder

Removable Wall Concept ~ Rough Draft

Postby Engineer Guy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:16 pm

The quarter turn fasteners linked below are handy. Macho versions of them are used to hold Containers together on Ships, and onto Semi Truck chassis. Imagine a wall of ~1/4" Ply with 1" rigid Foam Insulation glued on it. That would give it some additional rigidity, too. This removable wall could have some fasteners at the top that connect into a 2x2 or so screwed into a CT roof strut. The fasteners would work in the horizontal plane: through the wall and into the 2x2. The bottom of the wall could have a 2x2 screwed on. Fasteners in the vertical plane would connect into the plywood floor and the mating plate.

When the wall was out, there would be no tripping obstruction on the floor. There would be only a 2x2 or so above your head on the ceiling. Or, you could have 2 small wood blocks only at the upper corners of the wall. 1x2 or 2x2 wood ribs could frame this lightweight wall to the degree you think is the right tradeoff between weight and rigidity. Perhaps none are needed at all.

http://www.southco.com/landingpages/dzus/

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=1/4+turn&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=1+4+turn+fasteners
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions