Door latch conversion?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Door latch conversion?

Postby dog812 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:00 pm

So i am thinking about doing this conversion. But all the trailers i find have Semi truck trailer door latches..

How do you convert it to a latch that opens/locks from the inside?
I dont want someone to lock us in our trailer :P
Any info would be awesome.
My 5x8 Cargo conversion gallery - http://postimage.org/gallery/1gh9916q0/
Upgrades - lifted, added window, led lights, screen door, awning, battery, flooring, folding shelves....etc.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby vreihen » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:20 am

There have been a few threads here about retrofitting RV door latches onto CT doors:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=357531&highlight=#357531

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=36645

The best solution that I saw here for how to prevent someone from locking you inside your CT was the person who put an eye hook on the wall of their trailer, to lock the handle to in the open position. The simplest solution was as someone pointed out in one of the threads above to put the lock back into the hasps after you open the door, since the same hardware that prevents the handle from being opened can be used to keep it from being closed. I have my doubts that someone could force the door open from inside should someone just put the cam lock bar close to the locked position, hence the latter not being the best solution.

When I picked up my trailer last month, it came with an RV lock and no cam lock bar. The dealer stressed to me that I should always make sure that the deadbolt is engaged when towing, because RV locks apparently have been known to pop open on the road at times. Judging by how the commercial shipping industry and CT manufacturers have standardized on bulky cam lock bars in times when shaving every penny/ounce of weight from a vehicle is important, I would say that they haven't found a cheaper way to hold the doors closed that doesn't have problems if the trailer flexes.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby digimark » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:44 pm

It might be painful to do to your trailer, but if you keep a saw, hammer and chisel inside the trailer, if someone did lock you in, you could always cut a whole or larger in the door -- it's just lauan, foam insulation and a thin aluminum shell that makes up the door.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Door latch

Postby drcurran » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:58 am

vreihen has it right. I asked the same question and got great pics and response. I've tried to attach a pic. of what I did to mine. Just remember the lock must have a longer shackle to fit around the bar of the cam lock. Good luck with your project.

Dan

PS - Sorry can't remember how to attach a pic :([/img]
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby drcurran » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:04 am

dog812 - check my Album I was able to put a pic of the "can't lock me in device" that was suggested to me and I installed. An eye bolt with nut and washer and a pad lock with about a 2" shackle does the trick.
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Getting locked in

Postby drcurran » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:07 am

I did a little "non scientific" test yesterday. I put a lock through the latches which hold the cam lock closed and locked, then I put the cam lock over the door, I went inside the CT and could not push the door open. Now I did not go into "panic mode" but I pushed pretty hard and the cam lock bar would not move. So for my "money" I want the cam lock bar locked to an eye bold or something else so it can't be moved over the door. Just my .02

Dan
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:12 pm

someone on here bought the locking part and mounted it on side of trailer he could then lock the locking bar in the open position neat addition and it looks factor made.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby AWK » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Has anyone ever tried putting a inter-door and using the cam=ock door as a storm or travel door? When parked you could open the cam locked door then use the inter-door (with window and screen) as your door.

AWK
AWK
Teardrop Builder

Postby WA » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:32 pm

my solution was to add an additional bar locking hasp.

This way, I can use the same padlock that is on the door and I don't have to keep up with a separate lock and key.

Here's another shot, you can see the bar pinned open:

Got it for less than $6 from my dealer.
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Great Job

Postby drcurran » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:10 am

Great look - so much better than my eye bolt. Guess I'll have to find some latches. Thanks

Dan
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby k0py » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:34 am

mine was kinda more of a difficult one i think.. my door has a mostly metal frame and i had to cut away some, and the wall of the trailer where it meets up was pretty skinny to work with. i ended up just welding a tab that stuck out so the lock would engage it. tonite i get to build a support for the lock assy and insulate my door. probably weld a plate there with the 4 holes and put some wood between that and skin.
k0py
Teardrop Inspector

Door Lock

Postby drcurran » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Sometimes those thin doors can be difficult to do an install. On another note about locks, I went to Home Depot and purchased 8 locks with the same key. Makes everything very simple. I also made it a point to get locks with an inch and a half shackle. OK my .02

Dan
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions