Bought my first cargo to transform...Pics

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Bought my first cargo to transform...Pics

Postby dog812 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:24 pm

So i bought my first cargo trailer to transform. I was limited by what my truck could pull. I will be pulling this with my modified toyota rock crawler. So i went with 5x8 with a 6' ceiling. Has trailer brakes, side door, vent and a ramp in the back which was nice.

My first upgrade is a window. I will continue to look but is there a good instructional on here how to install one?
Do you have to change the support the wall has? etc...

Also i want to change the springs from being under to on top of the axle. (sprung over) any good instructions for that would be awesome.

Then it will be adding the propane tank holder and battery holder.
and so on so forth.

any help would would be awesome..

PIcs::
Last edited by dog812 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My 5x8 Cargo conversion gallery - http://postimage.org/gallery/1gh9916q0/
Upgrades - lifted, added window, led lights, screen door, awning, battery, flooring, folding shelves....etc.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:56 pm

This is the right place. The search function will lead you to lots of everyone's tips and tricks. Then, if you have something specific to your own project, the members here can give you specific answers and advice. Welcome to the madness!

My advice, and what I did, was read all that I could here and compile a list of ideas and sources that I liked before ever buying a part, drilling a hole, or cutting a board. Plan and envision first, and your labor will be more productive in the end.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby dog812 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:59 pm

I have used the search.. but cant really find any good info about installing the window? will it comprimise the structure? etc?
Upgrades - lifted, added window, led lights, screen door, awning, battery, flooring, folding shelves....etc.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Gonefishin' is right. Research here. Make a list of what you want inside. Draw the floor plan on paper.

Ya might also wanna sketch it out on the floor of the trailer before you start cutting plywood or drilling holes, just to see if it's going to be as functional as it looked on paper.

Prem :)
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Nathan N » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Welcome!

I really used Gil's thread on his cargo conversion as a wonderful guide. Part way down this page http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=32431&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30 he has great photos of his window install. Note he stated: "I followed Prem's advice on using wide tape on the exterior of the sidewall to mark the cut line for the window opening, and then cutting it with a jigsaw."

I did the same on ours:

I had to cut out one vertical support. I welded in angles above and below:

There are a lot of good ideas and tips here in the cargo conversion topic. I'm sure there are other window installations that I reviewed but can't recall them right now.

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Prem » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:06 pm

What Nathan said. :thumbsup:

When you take the paneling off the walls you'll get to see what the spacing is between ribs. It may vary (a lot). You may end up with 16 to 22 inches between ribs and can put in an 16 to 22 inch wide window without having to cut and weld any ribs.

Apology if you already know this: Search eBay for "RV window" if you don't have a local source. Buying windows without the trim ring is bad. The trim ring is actually the lock ring. It holds the window in tight and trims out the cut. Two eBay dealers sell them without trim rings. Read the listings to be sure of what you are getting, including the size of the hole cut out for the window, not just the dimensions of the window.

For what it's worth,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby dog812 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks for the info.. that is great.. ill take the paneling off and see what i have to work with.
I live in vancouver bc canada. So i should have plenty of local dealers to choose from..
If anyone knows a good cheap place though please send them my way.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Windows

Postby drcurran » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:23 am

I looked around and purchased some windows that were the right size so I did not have to cut a "rib". Have not put them in yet, but I've got them. Good luck with your project.

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby dog812 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:16 am

yah my "ribs" are 16" across.. so i was looking at up and down windows that are 15" by 20" or more. I think it will look ok.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:06 pm

:thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby dog812 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:03 pm

I have been looking at windows online,
Ebay window : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15x22-VERTICAL-SLIDER-KINRO-RV-WINDOW-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19bc6ed46eQQitemZ110535562350QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

How thick trim ring do i need?

Also been trying to find some info about lifting the trailer. Currently the springs are under the axle. I want to put them on top of the axle for a couple inches more height. Is it just a matter of moving the spring mounts over nd longer u-bolts? will the trailer axle handle it?
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:27 pm

You need a flush or a 1 inch deep trim ring for a cargo trailer. AND you might want to consider that DARK tinted windows let in almost no light. You can get clear glass and make curtains. One other issue is that the color of the outside of the trailer will look better with windows that have the same color around the frame. I assume you want black windows, not white.

I checked. Currently there are no black windows, clear or light tinted on eBay that are 15 inch wide vertical sliders. Check every day or two until you find the one(s) you want.

This one is too wide for your purposes, but it's an example of a black frame vertical slider with clear glass:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-KINRO-BLACK-SLIDER-RV-TRAILER-WINDOW-18-X-40-/370425363808?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item563f127d60

Fast eBay search words: "RV window black 15"

For what it's worth,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:42 pm

P.S. Using wide tape around the window cut is for the purpose of making sure that the table of your jig saw does not scratch the thin, delicate paint on the exterior of your trailer. No other purpose. Works pretty good. But I also tape the bottom (table) of my jig saw just to make sure. Better safe than sorry...and ugly. :thumbsup:

Tape the radius too. These windows are (usually) not rectangular.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Spring Over

Postby TurboandMe » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:23 am

I did a spring over on a Harbor Freight Trailer and it was super simple. Look at the axle and see if it has perches welded to it. If so you can take the axle off and turn it over moving those perches to the top then just reuse the same U-bolts. I don't know exactly what your dealing with without pictures so use some common sense and you should be fine. I saw a build up here where a guy did the spring over and put on 32's and it looked sweet.
Hope that helps...if not shoot some pics and get back to us.
Chateau Le Cargo build: Now for sale!
viewtopic.php?t=40569
TurboandMe
Teardrop Builder

Postby dog812 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:21 am

Well i start the bed, attatch the spare tire and add a battery to the trailer today.

Here is my idea for the bed. Fit a queen or double air bed, since i have both.
Enough space under for rubbermaids. Easily converted to a couch during daytime hours.
There will be less than 16 " between 2x4 supports. Should work. If i need more ill add them in. All of the 2x4's except the longer diagnol one should slide together under the plywood to make the couch.

As for the battery. My lights work when the trailer is plugged into the truck. So i am going to attatch the same 7 way plug to the battery so i just unplug the trailer from the truck and plug it into the battery. Voila. Simple.

I am also going to try to add a hole from inside to outside for passing electrical or propane lines through for my heaters. Something that will also be weather guarded when not in use. Simple like this :
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions