new to forum and questions re: 6x10 cargo

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

new to forum and questions re: 6x10 cargo

Postby Roadthunder » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Howdy
great forum and many of your idea's are working there way into my idea of the perfect cargo/camping trailer.
I'm a bicycle rep who also loves to surf, moto and camp. I cover the Pac NW (based in Seattle covering Canadian border down to Chico, CA).

so here's my dilemma. Thought I wanted a 6x10 Wells Cargo V nose but found a good dealer who sells Cargomate flat nose who is willing to order me up a trailer w/side windows and top of the line details for the cost of a base model V nose Wells Cargo.

Is V nose worth the extra $$. is the V nose easier to tow and gives better gas mileage?

I'll be towing w/2011 V6 Toyota Tacoma w/tow package. I'll primarily be hauling 1 -2 off road moto's or 1 moto and several demo mountain bikes and possibly a Stand Up Paddle board. I hate staying in hotels so will camp in often.

thans for any input.
Roadthunder
Teardrop Inspector

Re: new to forum and questions re: 6x10 cargo

Postby d30gaijin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Roadthunder wrote:Howdy
great forum and many of your idea's are working there way into my idea of the perfect cargo/camping trailer.
I'm a bicycle rep who also loves to surf, moto and camp. I cover the Pac NW (based in Seattle covering Canadian border down to Chico, CA).

so here's my dilemma. Thought I wanted a 6x10 Wells Cargo V nose but found a good dealer who sells Cargomate flat nose who is willing to order me up a trailer w/side windows and top of the line details for the cost of a base model V nose Wells Cargo.

Is V nose worth the extra $$. is the V nose easier to tow and gives better gas mileage?

I'll be towing w/2011 V6 Toyota Tacoma w/tow package. I'll primarily be hauling 1 -2 off road moto's or 1 moto and several demo mountain bikes and possibly a Stand Up Paddle board. I hate staying in hotels so will camp in often.

thans for any input.

The V nose is no easier to tow than a blunt nose, and while it may offer a small advantage in gas mileage I suspect it will be insignificant over all at towing speeds.

I would go with the dealer that offers you the best options for cost. What good is a CT that you have to pour additional dollars into (and they add up fast) to get it the way you want? Just how much do you really think you'll save in terms of gas mileage with a V vs. blunt? I suspect not much. From what I have seen a V offers a bit more room inside whereas a blunt offers a bit more room outside (such as for a tongue box, spare tire, propane tank, etc.) It's really more a matter of what your needs are rather than a smidgen of gas mileage hopefully saved.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Roadthunder » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks Don that's good input and extra space up front and outside will be nice for mounting propane and aux battery.

Another question?? Should I add brakes/controller.

My trailer dealer says he can have Forest River/Cargo Mate add brakes for $200. I don't plan on carrying a lot of weight ( though I know it adds up quick) are brakes necessary/recommended for this size trailer? It should be about 1300ibs unloaded and I expect to not be carrying much over 1000ibs of cargo. The dealers opinion was logical..." drive like your towing and drive conservative and you'll be fine without".
I have a JumpingJack trailer and towed w/Sprinter van and it towd like nothing was behind it. I have the Toyota now which is a different beast.. Ok much smaller beast.
Roadthunder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Rt, I would definitely add brakes...your tow weights, by your estimates, will be 2000#s+...at those weights, you are getting close to the legal UN-braked limits...since you are in the PNW, you will see plenty of mountains and those brakes could well be a life saver(or pants saver)...200bucks for the brakes and another 100 for a controller is way cheap for peace of mind insurance..............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby vreihen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:22 pm

In case this hasn't been posted before, here's a summary of trailer laws (including brake weights) by state:

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby digimark » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Many of the trailer companies have different levels of build quality and feature lists, so when you're comparing two companies' products you'll want to know which one is which. The Wells-Cargo trailers came in three levels of refinement if I remember -- the TCTrekker was the lowest build quality, similar to the Haulmark Light Cargo and Transport models. The middle line for each is the RoadForce and Cub, and the most-equipped were the Wells-Cargo and Grizzly/Kodiac lines. Unless you're comparing the same build levels across manufacturers, it can be a bit confusing to be sure one is a better deal than another.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby TurboandMe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:45 pm

I would highly recomend brakes. Not only will it be much safer but you will probably end up saving that $300 of cost in the end by not having to replace your trucks brakes as often. Plus if your ever in an "Oh sh...." situation you might get to finish the expletive!
Chateau Le Cargo build: Now for sale!
viewtopic.php?t=40569
TurboandMe
Teardrop Builder

Postby RickNan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:51 pm

We bought a 6x12 flat nose Cargomate from Olympic Trailer out of Lacey, WA. We added windows, brakes, power and an RV door. I called all over Western Washington and they were by far the best price. Hope this helps, Nan
RickNan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete42 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:13 am

Let's see trailer brakes stop the trailer, truck brakes stop the truck. :thinking:

go with brakes you will not be sorry you did.

flat nose less cost it has what you want good choice.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Roadthunder » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:56 pm

Brakes it is then, thanks everyone.

Nan...yup I'm ordering up my Cargomate from same dealer. Dirk (owner) was very accommodating where everyone else stated 10 week ordering times and much higher prices and left the impression they just wanted to sell me what was on the lot.
I'll be ordering up near identical as yours but the next size smaller 6x10 and in black. Windows on both sides, rv door, shore power, brakes, barn style rear doors, finished roof (inside), roof vent. I'm stoked!

TV=2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 w/tow package.
Roadthunder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MegC » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am

I'll be interested how you end up packing it all in there. Husby and I were at the Helens MTB Fest this year, where they had the Trek demo wagon packed FULL of bikes. They had all bikes stored vertically w/ fork mounts on some kind of track, I think they had adapters for various through axle types.

My ride is on the roof rack for what might be my last lunch hour trail ride of the season tomorrow. Rain is moving in tomorrow night, snow level supposed to be 4k this weekend. Then I'll have to start organizing the XC skis... :thumbsup:
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RickNan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:49 am

I'm also interested in how you will mount your bikes. We plan on bringing our bicycles with us most of the time and are not sure how to secure them.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Nan
RickNan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steve519 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:42 am

RickNan wrote:I'm also interested in how you will mount your bikes. We plan on bringing our bicycles with us most of the time and are not sure how to secure them.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Nan

Nan .... Yakima makes a really nice roof-top bike rack that works great on my Equinox. Kinda pricey, but after using it for one summer, I am glad I bought it. Its not hard at all to load up using a folding step stool. ~Steve
steve519
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roadthunder » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 pm

MegC...I heard the Helens fest was a great time and yes the Trek demo rig is impressive. Dax the demo guy has prob 60plus bikes in his set up.
I'm a rep vs. a dedicated demo/race support person and I spend the majority of my time w/bike shops during the week and do the occasional weekend demo or race event. I'll jut be hauling 8-10 bikes in the trailer using simple fork mounts (Rocky Mounts) mounted to a track system (Saris) on the floor of trailer. I'll have to remove front wheels but it'll lower the height of the bikes where I'll have a bunk (or shelving/more storage) up above.
Nan...these fork mounts can be bolted pretty much anywhere inside the trailer (popular w/pick up truck folks as they can be bolted to rail or floor of bed) and their pretty cheap. Or you could go w/Yakima, Thule, etc roof mounted racks. The con is decreased gas mileage. If you only ride occasionally/fair weather then it doesn't make sense having that roof rack on the roof all the time. You can simply bolt the fork mounts to a 2x4 and toss in your
trailer or back of vehicle when you head out. If you ride a lot then yes roof rack is the way to go....or hitch rack when you don't have the trailer.
I just ordered up my trailer today!! Only 4 weeks to delivery...
Roadthunder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jwhite » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Are you sure you want a black trailer?
I thought I did until I read on here about how hot the trailer will get?
I am so glad I changed the color from black to grey and it is still like a oven when I go in it,I can't imagine how much hotter it would be in Black.
In the summer my AC won't even start to cool it down until after dark,I may have to bite the bullet and buy a roof top AC if I want to use it during the summer in the day time.
That's just what I have found out.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions