New 6x12

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New 6x12

Postby RickNan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:57 pm

I am a first-time poster. I have been gathering information on this forum for quite a while now. Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information! My husband and I bought a 6x12 CargoMate about 6 months ago and have been converting ever since. It has taken quite a while since we both work full-time. Our needs are fairly simple, we wanted a lightweight trailer we could tow with our 6 cyl. Chev Equinox. We looked at lightweight travel trailers and could not find anything that met our needs, they are ridiculously expensive and we wanted something more versatile. It took me several months, but after showing my husband what alot of you had done, I finally convinced him we could do a conversion. We had it built with power, windows, an rv door and brakes, we have added cabinets, vinyl flooring and chair/beds. We wanted to keep it simple, we will use campground restrooms (portapotty at night) and cook outside. We added an undercounter refridgerator about 1/2 way though. We took our first trip to the Pacific Coast recently and our little trailer was perfect. We had people coming to look at it within 5 minutes of arriving! We are now using it as storage for the winter. Again, thank you, thank you for all the valuable information.

Nan - Washington State
RickNan
Teardrop Inspector

Very Nice!

Postby TurboandMe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Those cabinets look really nice. Good job on the conversion and thanks for sharing!
Chateau Le Cargo build: Now for sale!
viewtopic.php?t=40569
TurboandMe
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:48 am

Really nice trailer!

Good inspiration, thanks for sharing!
Jo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pete42 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:01 am

Very nice you had to convince him? way to go girl....... :thumbsup:

both of you did very well on the conversion so far I did wonder if you

added insulation before you painted or if you had it added at the factory or for that matter if it's insulated at all?

I do like the vinyl flooring be alert some travel trailers have had their vinyl freese and split keep us posted.

what else are you planning if anything to add?

again great job enjoy.

ol'pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:46 am

Very nice Nan! :thumbsup: You are gonna enjoy it more and more each camping trip. Congratulations!...and welcome to the club!!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Mountain Cur » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Nice job! :thumbsup:
Mountain Cur
Teardrop Builder

Postby steve519 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks for the pics! I also have an Equinox and was curious if you were pleased with its towing. What type of mpg did you get? I hope you continue to enjoy that camper. ~Steve
steve519
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RickNan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:28 pm

We plan to add a few small things, an electric hot plate for when it is cold and drizzly (Western Washington), eventually a generator. We already have a pop-up canopy and campstove/oven. We also have a small electric space heater that keeps it plenty warm. It got down to the low 40's when we took it out and that little space heater kept it nice and cozy. We plan on leaving the heater on low throughout the winter to help keep it dry inside. I am sure it will continue to be a work-in-progress, add and subtract as needed.

My husband was very pleased with how well the Equinox towed it. He kept it in L4 instead of overdrive (as stated in the manual). He figures we usually get about 22 MPG and with trailer maybe 18 MPG (that is just a guess, we didn't actually calculate).

Thanks everybody

Nan
RickNan
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions