Started My Build, 28 Ft Wehaul Enclosed

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Started My Build, 28 Ft Wehaul Enclosed

Postby AWK » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Thought I would share the begining of my build. As I posted earlier, I purchased this 2001 28ft WeHaul trailer to use as my temp garage at my cabin. Once the garage is built, I have OTHER plans for this. All what I do it it now will be used in the future.

This is the day I bought it!

We painted the floor with Sherwin Williams Industrial Enamel

Added the AC/DC temporary cabinate. I'm using this to set up some of my wiring and testing on how my cabinate will fit.

We added the porch light so I can walk up and turn it on to see the lock on the door. My cabin is VERY dark at night and that normally when we get there!

Installed the outside AC connection using a 30amp plug (only wired as 110V)

This will be used to house snowmobiles in the winter and 4 wheelers in the summer, for now. Next steps are to add cabinates and work bench in the front (with car audio system). Flourescent lights down one side. 5 interior AC plugs and 2 outside. I would like to add a awning on the door side. Will share more as I complete this. Down side it is 247 miles away. Combine that with still building the cabin and I have my work cut out from me. However, I sure like to tinker with this!

AWK
AWK
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:55 pm

WHOA!!! That's SERIOUS Cargo Trailer !!!! :o :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby edcasey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:26 pm

Great looking trailer. Can't wait to see your progress.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby AWK » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Curious, How are people working around the round corners of these trailers? I think I will fur out the front wall about 3 inches to completely bypass that curve. I think I can do this with two horizontal supports where the panels bolt to the roof and hold the front diamond plate on. I can take out like three of those bolts and replace them with longer bolts. There should not be much stress on this as all the weight will be supported on the floor. The only force may come when I stomp on the pedal and this Duramax Torque comes alive! :shock:

Suggestions? Other don't stomp gas pedal?

AWK
AWK
Teardrop Builder

Postby edcasey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:13 pm

AWK wrote: The only force may come when I stomp on the pedal and this Duramax Torque comes alive! :shock:

Suggestions? Other don't stomp gas pedal?

AWK

Don't worry about torque causing a problem. My Cummins dynoed at 917 lb-ft at 2100 rpms and hasn't pulled the A frame off yet. :D
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby dudleydoright » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:18 pm

hi edcasey,

is that a mark martin license plate on the upper wall??????????????????
GONE FISHIN'

ddr
dudleydoright
Teardrop Master

Postby edcasey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:26 pm

dudleydoright wrote:hi edcasey,

is that a mark martin license plate on the upper wall??????????????????

It's the old Tony Stewart plate (number 20) but I have also been a Mark Martin fan for many years.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby AWK » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Productive day. Built my two end cabinates (20"x24"x73.25") and the base 21"x98"x5.50". I picked up two Craftman rolling tool boxes to use in the center. Made some wood supports to make them easier to install. Working on a bench top now. Wish the Hauler was a little closer, so I could stall them as I go.

AWK
AWK
Teardrop Builder

Postby weeeee » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Interested in this build, I am getting an 8.5 x24
weeeee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AWK » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:03 pm

I built the carcass of the cabinates last weekend and planed down the wood for the Bench top and Rails/stiles today :D . I'll get a picture up soon. Still wondering how people deal with the rounded corners in the front of these trailers. :thinking: Appears I will need to fur this out nearly 3 inches (or build round cabinates... like that would happen :? )

AWK
AWK
Teardrop Builder

Postby AWK » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:10 pm

Here is the cabinates and tool boxes. The height of the workbench will be 36 inches. I built a slide out (locking) battery tray to install in the left cabinate above the location for the AC/DC power unit.

AWK
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions