New CT smell and fumes from floor/walls treatment.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New CT smell and fumes from floor/walls treatment.

Postby Roadthunder » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Well I'm excited to get my cargo trailer in a couple of weeks and plan on using it right away to camp in. My dealers says I may get headache or feel funky when sleeping in it w/it so fresh from the factory because of all the Glues and other stuff used during construction.

Anyone experience this and how long before this goes away?

This leads me to my next questions. The first thing I plan on doing is applying something like Herculiner to treat the floor and maybe up the sides a bit. What's the best stuff to use that won't give off toxic fumes?

This trailer will have windows that open on both sides of trailer above the wheels as well, RV side door, barn style doors and roof vent.

Thanks for any ideas, comments or suggestions.
Roadthunder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Road, whatever you do, you might want to let it "air out" a bit ... leave the doors and windows open , and maybe a couple of fans would help ...

When we got out TT it had "that smell" and I opened up a window on one side , turned the exhaust fan on , on the other side , and ran it for a couple days ... That helped a lot ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby edcasey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:45 pm

It's normal and will go away quicker if you let it vent. If the floor is pressure treated plywood, it will also take longer. Putting a MaxxAir cover http://www.maxxair.com/standard-maxxair.html (or similar) over the roof vent will allow you to keep the roof vent open all the time regardless of weather conditions and will allow the fumes to vent. They are inexpensive and easy to install. They also allow moisture to vent (especially in the winter) helping to prevent condensation, mold and musty smells. I think they should be standard equipment on every camper.

Ed
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Let her air out is good advice
All it takes is to step into a clsoed up NEW cargo trailer in August to know what the dealer was talking about.
little price to pay for your own trailer.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions