what kind of heater to buy

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:34 am

pete42 wrote:Steve I would never install a stove like the one in your picture I'm told that the gentleman was only 20 something when he slept one night with the stove on and he now looks like a dried out apple..... :)

:rofl:

S. Heisley wrote:Love your new 'look', Steve; but, you really don't have to hug or pet the heater's stove pipe. You can't like it that much! :lol:

Somebody here on the forum has a wood stove installed but I can't remember exactly where I saw it. Maybe a search would find it.

I had forgotten about Bob Henry"s tear drop door pot belly stove...

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:37 am

Who was or what ever happened to the person who was putting a small wood stove in their tear? - I remember posting something like " when you turn over, be careful not to toast your rear. :oops: They had it constructed out of metal and actually tested it
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 am

Wasn't me I put mine outside the tear. :lol: :lol:

48 to 76 degrees in 12 minutes :D

I keep my youthful good looks by adding a soup can full of water on top as a humidifier. ;)

Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:58 am

Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:02 am

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby BC Dave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:00 am

sqweasel wrote:FYI...Just tried an experiment today. 33 degrees out so I closed the roof vent plugged in a new CO & explosive gas detector I got at "Maynards", taped over the flow through vents and turnred on the "Little Buddy" heater on HIGH. I left the trailer all closed up and monitored the detector through the window and waited for either the alarm to go off or the heater to shut down with the "low O2" shut off feature. It took almost an hour before the low oxy sensor shut the heater down. When I checked the CO detector's CO level history readout, it recorded 29 PPM(parts per million), well below the low level exposure limit of 50 PPM. Interesting :thinking:

Next experiment will be same, but with flow throughs open and roof vent open about 1 inch. I want to see what the CO level history records with things set up like that.

I too have great cold weather camping gear, I'm just curious about what the heater will do to the air when I do run it

thats is a great experiment; we should get that stickied; could you start a new post with your experiment? thanks
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:04 am

starleen2 wrote:Who was or what ever happened to the person who was putting a small wood stove in their tear? - I remember posting something like " when you turn over, be careful not to toast your rear. :oops: They had it constructed out of metal and actually tested it

I requested to let us know how his homemade stove worked but -yikes- I havnt seen him post since he took it out on the first run ... seemed like a good guy; tallented person; I hope he's ok.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:03 am

You guys ever see this : http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Rocket_stove Lots of possibilities for a tiny efficient wood heater that burns twigs , and produces little smoke , if any ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:12 am

The only problem with the rocket stove concept it that you have unlimited air supply and control the heat by constantly feeding the small pieces of wood to it. It was originally developed for cooking in third world countries with limited wood and for clean smokeless burns. It works great for that but it puts out a lot of heat for a short time. Not to good for a long winter night unless you want to stay up and feed it all night. There is some experiments being done with them with a long flue through rock and clay thermal mass. but you can't haul a couple of ton of chimney in a teardrop.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Good point RayV !!! Just an idea ... :oops:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:23 pm

BC Dave wrote:
starleen2 wrote:Who was or what ever happened to the person who was putting a small wood stove in their tear? - I remember posting something like " when you turn over, be careful not to toast your rear. :oops: They had it constructed out of metal and actually tested it

Dont know what happened to him; I asked him to let us know how his homemade stove worked but -yikes- I havnt seen him post since he took it out on the first run ... seemed like a good guy; tallented person; I hope he's ok.

I installed a marine propane stove that Im very happy with; take a look in my photo album and previous build and related posts; it does kick out lots of dry safe heat; too much sometimes.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions