Hello from Elkhart, IN. 7'x16' CT

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Hello from Elkhart, IN. 7'x16' CT

Postby jossejef » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:08 am

Hello one and all!!!!
I have been a fan of your site now for about a year now and while I live and work in the RV capitol of the United States, I have chosen to go another direction and building a toy-hauler for my wife and I. I am fortunate enough to have a multitude of RV surplus/outlet stores offering a wide variety of discounted/discontinued items.
My wife and I both ride Harley Davidsons and we want to extend our enjoyable outdoor experiences to include camping. Unfortunately due to our careers we do not have the luxury of delays due to weather or breakdowns. Worse yet, an accident so we must trailer our bikes. Ya Ya I know, what a bunch of "TRAILER QUEENS". I've heard it all before. But it is what it is.
I am extremely impressed with everyone's build! Each trailer offers a different view to an individuals needs and likes. Thank you for all the great ideas! I think most of my questions have been answered, and if not, I bet I just haven't looked hard enough. We will be doing a 7'x16' CT conversion with a trailer already owned. However, I am contemplating going up to a 8'x20' offering more amenities when camping. My goal: HAPPY WIFE-HAPPY LIFE! Because the two bikes will take up so much room, amenities will be limited. Power, kitchen, and other options.
There are many challenges for me to overcome, but my biggest hurdle will be my computer skills. Thank you spell check! So please be patient with me. PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES. Got it! I will get some posted soon but they are calling for snow :( this week so this project may be delayed a bit.
Thank you for all the insight. I feel like I am forgetting something javascript:emoticon(':thinking:')

Oh ya, a quote: How about this
Life is what happens while you're busy making plans. John Lennon

Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Jeff and Leah
jossejef
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Welcome to the cargo trailer asylum ... we're just Crazy for Cargo Trailers ... :lol:
Good Thanksgiving to you and yours too !!! :thumbsup:
Yes, Pictures , please !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Creamcracker » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Welcome to the forum...I used to live in Ottawa Drive back in 1984...out by Pierre Moran Mall and worked at Lexington and Third in downtown Elkhart.....moved to Howe, IN and lived there until 2000....I know exactly what you mean by the RV surplus stores around...my favorite was always Bontrager's in White Pigeon....good luck with the build..
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby d30gaijin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Jeff and Leah,

Welcome to the CT forum!

I too am a Harley idiot, bought my Sportster brand new in 1986 and still own and ride it to this day. It started life as an 883 but was soon bored to 1200 (74cid) with Gordan Kately cams added, S&S Super carb, Dyna ignition, and a whole, whole hell of a lot more in fact. I have ridden it all over the west, drag raced it (won the 1989 Idaho State Street Bracket Championships with it), ridden it to the Bonneville salt flats, Yosemite, and all points in between, north, south, east, and west.

Part of the reason we bought and built our CT conversion was so we could haul the Sportster up into the mountains to cruise once we get there, and if you've ever ridden a Sportster any distance you know why we want to trailer it, they simply are not comfortable to ride distances on... unless you are young and dumb like I was when I bought it in 86.

So I don't see you as a trailer queen, rather I see you as practical.

Oh, and I also have a 1955 Harley Davidson Hummer I have been restoring for about 20 years now (still not quite done yet). But then you have to be a true Harley junkie like me to know what a Harley Hummer is.

Again, welcome to the forum and put some pics up and keep the pics coming. We want to see your build because we learn from each others ideas.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby steve519 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi Jeff .... Just wanted to say good luck to your build. You live near my old stomping gorunds (Goshen) and made me fell a bit home sick. Looking forward to seeing your build. I too, have been learningn from everyone here. Great site. ~Steve
steve519
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions