a question about those nice double rear doors on Wells Cargo

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

a question about those nice double rear doors on Wells Cargo

Postby Martha » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:10 pm

I'm shopping options for a 5 x 8 Wells Cargo and haven't found the answer to this online:

Do you know if you can get those nice rear double doors with the kind of lock that operates from the inside? I'm thinking of eliminating the side door.

Thanks --- can't say how helpful everyone has been on here. Also thanks for reminding me (many people) of the KISS rule. All my life I've been guilty of making things too complicated, and every time I go too far and have to dial it back. Better than not learning at all, I suppose.

Best,
Martha
Martha
Teardrop Inspector

Postby vreihen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:35 pm

They would have to add additional latches at the top and bottom to keep one of the two doors closed, but I don't see why they/you couldn't install an RV lock on one rear door as long as the other one is restrained from opening when both are closed. For travel, I'd probably want the external cam-lock on there as additional insurance, though.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveB » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:18 am

You can pretty much get whatever you want if you are having a custom trailer built. I have a 5x8 with barn doors and a side door. If you are not positive about not wanting a side door you could have them frame one and cover it. That way if you ever changed your mind you could add it later.

I would suggest that you at least do rough plans before buying a trailer.

Good luck with your build.

Steve
SteveB
Teardrop Advisor

Postby a45automan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 am

I just purchase a Work and Play but, has anyone purchase a trailer without rear doors? It might limit the trailer but, if it is only used for a camper, it might workout great.
a45automan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:41 am

:) Hi, Martha:

How is your Cargo trailer development coming? Please keep us posted when you have any information. Also, when you get it, please take pictures and post them. We want to see all the changes you make after you get it, too! If you change your mind and go with something else, please post that. Your upcoming adventure is intriguing. :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bc toys » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:04 pm

I would not buy anotherone without a side door but I got a 6x8 barn door love it going to change and make my gally
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Prem » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:00 pm

Martha,

Absolutely what SteveB said. :thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby mdvaden » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:49 pm

bc toys wrote:I would not buy anotherone without a side door but I got a 6x8 barn door love it going to change and make my gally

For my needs, I'd never get one without both back and side doors.

Been in too many places where it was nice to use either one. Sometimes simply to vent a breeze through in nice weather.

I've been in spots like rest areas where someone could park behind and block a rear door, but not the narrow side door.

Even in campgrounds I've found good use for either door.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:29 am

mdvaden wrote:

I've been in spots like rest areas where someone could park behind and block a rear door, but not the narrow side door.

...A very good point. Also, it is a good idea to have more than one exit in case of emergencies. The side door doesn't have to have a window in it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions