Side door installation

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Side door installation

Postby jacove » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:38 am

I have found a 2006 Cargo Mate 7X16 TA with ramp in back. The price seems right, I know nothing about this brand, except it is by Fleetwood and seems very well built. Only thing is,,,there is no side door. How much of a job well it be to install a rv type side door?? I have installed windows in vans. It seems as though a door would be very much the same. Any help would be appreciated.
jacove
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ogoki » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:04 am

I just purchased a Sure Trac cargo trailer . The factory had a RV style door available for this trailer which I purchased . Took awile to get it here . I removed the hinge hardware and old door and with minor changes it is now in place . Looks like factory . I do not know if Cargo Mate makes a RV door but it might be worth checking with them . My door cost me $325. The door itself has a window that opens also along with a screen . That was important to us.
I just ordered 2 windows from Frank Bear . One for each side . Plan to insulate the side walls after installing the windows . Will reuse the same 3/8 plywood . Plan to stain the plywood and seal . With the roof vent , RV style door and 2 side windows I hope to have decent ventilation .
Going to add an awning too.
Have studied long and hard how I plan to build in my 2 bunks that will also make into a bed from side to side .
This trailer , when finsished will haul our atv and be a sharp little camper too. .Plan to try to sell my 24 ft travel trialer this spring .
Ogoki
Teardrop Inspector

Postby HIPPYHUNTER » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Ogoki, please share pictures; thats what I want to build...a lil toyhauler.
I want to be able to fit 2 Honda 400 ex's in it and when empty have four people be able to play cards or eat in.
HIPPYHUNTER
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ogoki » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Hippyhunter , When I get the windows installed I will post pics. Got some ideas here and have studied about this for about a year . Camped in it for a week before we made final plans as we wanted to actually see what we wanted . Will post later .
Ogoki
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions