I took the leap...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Pete42, hope that you get to feeling better pretty soon and things will turn around. Have faith. I lurked here for a long time and thought that I would never have the opportunity but it finally happened. They say good things happen to those that wait. Just not too long... :D
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:21 pm

Well, after the trip last week I made a few changes. I went to Home Depot and bought some cabinets and then went to WalMart and got a shower curtain, rod, small plastic bins and a porta-potty.

The porta-potty is behind the curtain.

All packed up within 30 minutes and ready to load up the Sportster.
Coming soon, D-Rings and wheel chock.
Oh yea, and I better not forget to anchor those cabinets.
:)
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

trailer

Postby gwan2cruz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:04 am

I like what you are doing, I finally made the first step this week with a 6x12 v-nose as well. I had posted for roof sealer and found it on this post, thank you! I also am making mine to put my motorcycle inside as well (Honda ST1100). Lots of good information from good folks!
Gary
gwan2cruz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:43 am

..." Well, after the trip last week I made a few changes." :o That Does seem to happen eh ...
Looking Good Dave !!! :thumbsup: Those cots are Cool !!! Light too !!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 pm

gwan2cruz
The wheel chock and d-rings should be here Thursday that I ordered from Northern Tools. We are going to the Keys in May and I'm gettin' all jacked up and ready to go.

GPW
Those cots are light weight and I read all the reviews before making the purchase. The plastic end pieces have a tendancy to break off when assembling and disassembly. Well I had one break on me. Rather than wait for a new one I just found a brass screw that would take the place of the piece that broke and screwed it in. It worked great. I'm just not going to take them apart.
I'll take a picture Friday and show you what I mean. Maybe I'll have the chocks and d-rings installed by then as well.
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:00 pm

The wheel chock just arrived today and it's raining like crazy. There are also tornado watches and warnings out in our area. Looks like I'll have to wait til tomorrow to install. :(
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:12 pm

The weather has cleared and I installed the wheel chock and d-rings. The CT is now ready for "Pop".
I'm leaving the cots assembled. The big plastic bins fit right inside and there's still plenty of room. The cots are fairly hard to put together and the plastic ends are a real weak point during the assembly and disassembly process.
This is pretty much the way I'm going to use it in May. Unless I come up with something I might like better.
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:25 am

Looks like you have a plan

I would like to be able to ride a motorcycle again.

I gave my 850 to my nephew couple years ago he wanted to buy it but I had not ridden in a couple years so I said he could have it.

it's living well in Colorado springs along with his big Harley.
pete
Last edited by pete42 on Sun May 22, 2011 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 pm

The wife and I took the CT for a vacation to Florida a week ago. We stayed at 3 different parks. One night at Tomoka State Park. Three nights at Long Key State Park and then one final night at Sebastian Inlet State Park.
This was the view from our campsite the last morning. We were blessed with great weather 99% of the time and the CT did it's job quite well. All three parks were great places to stay. Each site had something different for us to experience while we were there.

I did come up some ideas that I'll be testing as well as eliminating a few things that we didn't need.

One lesson that I learned. We were getting ready to ride to Sombrero Beach for a few hours and Angie asked me if we needed to lock up. I said "No, we have good people on both sides of us who are going to be here while we're gone. We'll be back in a few hours".
I didn't even think about the possibility of BAD WEATHER! :o
What a dummy I was.
A strong thunderstorm rolled in while we were away from the camp site. We returned expecting the worst but it turned out that I at least had the opening facing away from the storm and our gear was only slightly wet. Dried out pretty quick as well. So not too bad.
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Now that is one fun looking place to camp.
i'm glad you had a great time.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Sat May 21, 2011 10:50 pm

All of the 3 places that we chose were great.
Tomoka State Park is near Daytona Beach and is a great starting spot for exploring that the area.

Long Key State Park is located about a 1/3rd of the way down the Florida Keys and it was a great motorcycle ride the rest of the way to Key West.

Sebastian Inlet is located about halfway between Cocoa Beach and West Palm Beach. It's one of the best surfing and fishing spots on the Florida coast.

BTW - tips on this forum helped me build my CT by giving me some great tips and suggestions. We were comfortable, slept well and had a fantastic time.
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:16 am

I have been to Tomoka we camped in the keys couple of times we wanted to stay in John Pennycamp sp and snorkel
but they had a mosquito infeststation we were bitten several times just using the toilets

we didn't stay and moved on down the coast I forget the name of the sp we stayed in it was right on the water which most are in the keys

then we stayed right in key west at a private campground more like a gravel parking lot but close to everything.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions