Homesteader 6 x 12

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Homesteader 6 x 12

Postby heritage06 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Well after lurking for over a year and joining 4 months ago, I’m finally getting started on my conversion. It’s a 6 x 12 Homesteader, 6’ height with side door and barn doors. I plan to keep this project as simple as I can but we all know how that goes. Basically need something to haul the Harley around and be able to sleep in at the state parks.

First thing I have to do is remove E-trac and interior walls to insulate. Over a thousand “pitaâ€
heritage06
Teardrop Inspector

Nice trailer

Postby 4x4chvy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:24 pm

PLEASE post pics of the interior as you go, especially after you're done.
The "working on it" mess is no big. Not many Cargo Trailer interior conversion pics posted, so please post yours.
Thanks!
"The difference between Adversity and Adventure - is Attitude!"
4x4chvy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:11 am

:thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby harley-jones » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:31 am

I am also doing a 6x12 conversion.

I am about 80% done. So far I have insulated, done a fold down bed, painted the inside, wheel chock, fold down shelf for a T.V and DVD player, spare tire mount and a simple electrical system.

I still want to do some kind of AC set up when money allows.

Good luck with your project :applause: .
harley-jones
Teardrop Inspector

Postby heritage06 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 pm

harley-jones,

Do you have any pictures of your fold down bed? I’m trying to get my design together while I’m working on the insulation. I have seen a couple in the past on the site…….should have book marked them.
heritage06
Teardrop Inspector

Getting Started

Postby heritage06 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Got the interior removed today and ready to start insulating. :) Going to HD in the morning to get the insulation.

What is the best type adhesive to use on the Styrofoam board for the ceiling?

I have to get my wiring in place before installing the insulation. I also have a power inlet, WFCO-8725 power center, couple of lights, porch light, RV door lock, and 20â€
heritage06
Teardrop Inspector

Postby woytovich » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Just, JUST, starting my build, and a build thread here. I will be following this build... cool!
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby jwhite » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:05 pm

I didn't glue my insulation in place, I just cut the foam board so you have a tight fit and it will stay on it's own,I used 2 layers of the blue foam and it was flush with the metal.
I also used grey duct tape and taped over where the foam met the metal,I don't think it's did much but it was a cheap way to seal over any cracks where the foam insulation and metal met.
Buy a roll of the black gorilla tape, it cost twice as much but it has about 3 times the grip of regular duct tape or what we call (alabama crome) down south,if you need something to stay that stuff works,it's even hard to pull off the roll.
The insulation will go quick if you have a table and a long board I took a long blade serated kitchen knife and after you score it it should break on it's own so you don't have to cut it all the way for it to work.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby heritage06 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks jwhite for the info. I actually got by without using the tape. The foam wedged in place and held its own.

Made a little progress this weekend although I didn’t get as far along as I had hoped. Finished the installing the insulation and only have a few cracks left to apply some expandable foam. I got started on some of the wiring and put some of the luan on the ceiling.

I have all of my parts and supplies now. Maybe next weekend I can get the window installed if the weather cooperates. It looks like Alabama is actually going to have a winter this year.

I’m toying with the idea of putting in a park water inlet with a small sink and a holding tank. My wife thought it would be nice to have. Course hot running water would be nice also... :thinking: ....so much for keeping this simple! :lol:
heritage06
Teardrop Inspector

Postby parnold » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:00 pm

....so much for keeping this simple!

Simple is only where we start! Be prepared for lots more ideas.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:23 am

I didn't notice any roof vents.
as you may know these CT get very warm inside during the summer
one way to help cool is either a standard vent or a fantastic fan or even an airconditioner.
If I ever get mine ordered I will have two vents one front one back so I can install a roof AC when I can.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:36 am

One of the things my wife loved most was the hot water heater or more correctly the output from the water heater. MM#7 has a gas electric 6gal and the sink has a sprayer faucet. There will eventually be a Bullfinch single point shower connected up on the outside.
If camping is a lot more work for Nancy then it is not much of a vacation for her. Anything you can do to make the life easier for the chief cook is a wise investment! :thinking:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions