Ramp back door into a room?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Ramp back door into a room?

Postby arnko37 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi from a new member. I recently bought a used Wells Cargo 5X8 with a ramp back door. Interior height is about 4'6''. A mention was just made on the forum about converting the ramp into a room with either hard sides or tent. I had never thought of that. Does anyone have any photos or suggestions on how to do that. This forum is great and I appreciate all the good info. :) :)
arnko37
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete42 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Welcome
my folks used to live in Arcadia and I know two flying buddies who live in Port Charlotte.
I know there are several on this site who have enclosed their ramps.
some I remember used cables to hook into the sides to keep the ramp level others used chains for the same purpose. while others use some form of jack to support the ramp in the open position.
I wish my memory was better so I could point you in the right direction others will do it for me I'm sure.
again welcome
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Endo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:03 pm

ImageImage

That's funny.......I was just researching ramp enclosures.
I just did an internet search for "ramp rooms" or "cargo trailer ramp enclosures" or "toy hauler ramp rooms".
You can order custom enclosures but they are not cheap.
The ones pictured above are much larger than yours but they may give you some ideas.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby jwhite » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 pm

jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby letterman7 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Endo wrote:Image

Don't waste your money on that particular one. I had one and sold it after the first use. To answer your question, probably building something yourself with walls that break down and a canvas roof might make more sense. I'll be doing something similar in the next couple months if the weather moderates enough.
letterman7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LShrew » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:43 pm

You can go with the custom $$$$ or you can go the cheaper route. I am thrifty (aka cheap), so we used an EZ UP with the sidewalls that are made of netting. You could also use the solid sidewalls I saw on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Four-NEW-EZUP-WALLS ... 483bee63af
Most of these sidewalls are generic and are held on to the frame with Velcro so will fit almost any 10'x10' canopy. It only takes a few minutes to have the awning up. We also use regular trailer jacks under the ramp to keep it level. The jacks fit on the rubber donuts that are on the end of the ramp. It is nice when it's raining to have a covered "deck" to sit on.

LShrew
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions