Power converter????

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Power converter????

Postby jameswill4 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Ok guys new to the whole rv thing . Got our trailer that was prewired from factory with a 60amp service with 6 outlets. I am having some trouble wraping my head around this 12v convertoer business. If I want to say run a 12v fridge (or 110v on an inverter at night) with an onboard battery with my 12v lights and tv dvd on an inverter as well, How can I charge this battery during the day?? I am seeing these 12v converters (Not Inverter) that have AC breaker boxes in them, but I alreday have 110v bok, I am confused Can someone eleaborate on the best way to accomplish this. Thanks
jameswill4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 am

Generally speaking (there are exceptions) a converter takes 120AC and converts it to 12DC and it may also charge the battery when on shore power.
With out knowing make and model number of the converter, kind of hard to know.
Depending on how it is wired and how your tow vehicle is wired (likely a seven prong plug) the TV will charge the battery while driving.

Care and feeding of a deep cycle is a process you will want to study and you will need to figure out actual loads on the system and size it accordingly.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Boodro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 pm

A battery charger is a converter. i hooked up a spare charger i had & it runs all my dc stuff. If you wanted to you could run an extra line from the charger to your battery to chrg it.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions