Installing screen door? and window?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Installing screen door? and window?

Postby dog812 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi i have seen lots of info about the windows on this site. But i am still un sure of how to choose a window?
Is there a certain thing i should be looking for?
Will this window work? The 2" deep throws me off..
http://cgi.ebay.ca/KINRO-BLACK-SLIDER-TRAILER-RV-WINDOW-14-3-4-X-14-3-4-/370481873412?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564270c204

Also i have a side door.. but no screen.. how do you install the hinges for a screen door? And where can i find a screen door for a cargo trailer.. all the ones i see are tooo big???

Thanks for all the info in advance.. [/url]
My 5x8 Cargo conversion gallery - http://postimage.org/gallery/1gh9916q0/
Upgrades - lifted, added window, led lights, screen door, awning, battery, flooring, folding shelves....etc.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Re: Installing screen door? and window?

Postby vreihen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:05 pm

You need to know the thickness of your CT's walls. The car haulers that I was looking at last summer all seem to be 1" box tubing, .030 skin, and 1/4" plywood inside. If yours is the same, you'll need to be looking for a window with a 1.25" trim ring if my math is correct. If you want to use those 2" windows, I imagine that you could build a moulding-type frame on the inside plywood out of 3/4" thick wood to take up the slack.

Also i have a side door.. but no screen.. how do you install the hinges for a screen door? And where can i find a screen door for a cargo trailer.. all the ones i see are tooo big???

My car hauler came with an RV-style side door with a screen door. I believe that they are sold as a pre-hung unit, with the door, screen door, door frame, and outside trim all sold as one assembly. If you don't want to go through the hassle of re-framing for a replacement door, there are several writeups in these forums by TD builders who have fabricated screen doors for their trailers if you search the site.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby dog812 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:13 pm

OK so i decided to go out and just make a screen door today.. turned out great..

So now its all about the windows... i guess ill have to contact cargomate, unless someone else on here has one and knows exact thickness of the wall?

I really dont want to drill a hole and measure.. but i guess that would the easiest way.,
Upgrades - lifted, added window, led lights, screen door, awning, battery, flooring, folding shelves....etc.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby vreihen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Can't you measure the wall thickness at the door frame opening? Use a C-clamp?

I just looked at their web site, and depending on the model they are using 3/16" white sheeting or else 3/8" plywood on the interior of their trailers. I didn't see the wall tubing size listed. If you can't get a measurement, I recommend calling them.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby dog812 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

I just remembered when i was making my fold away bed in there i drilled one hole a lil too far and went through .. so ill just stick a nail and measure it.. Thanks for the help.. ill let you know what happens.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby kstephenson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm

I built a sliding screen door. Using a track system in the ceiling and rollers. Comes as a complete kit from Lowes. Just build you door....and hang it so it can slide from side to side.
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kstephenson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Check album for more pics of my sliding door.....total cost 45.00
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dog812 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 pm

My screen door is finished.. now its on to the windows.

dog812 wrote:

dog812
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions