AAA anyone have it used it?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

AAA anyone have it used it?

Postby jwhite » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 am

I am thinking about getting AAA and wonder if anyone has it and have used it with positive results?
My brother keeps telling me I should have it, he thinks that it's well worth the money and he's cheap?
I have traveled alot in the past and have been lucky but now that I am getting older = I am not that old but the idea of changing the tire on a trailer in the summer or broke down somewhere and needing some help it may be worth the money.
I am about to head out on a trip and I started to think now may be a good time to get it.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby TheBizMan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 pm

I have had it for several years. I used it many times, mostly for flat tires. I have also needed a tow, gas and travel plans. It has paid for itself every year so far.
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

AAA

Postby drcurran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:11 pm

"Back in the day" we had a motor home and AAA road side help would not cover the MH, don't know the situation with a towed RV - best to check.

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby djsrtr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm not sure how AAA handles Trailers.

As far as the rest of what they do... :thumbsup:

been a member over 20 years. Figure it this way, 1 tow covers their yearly fee. lots of other services and discounts also.
djsrtr
Teardrop Builder

Postby jwhite » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

I went back and read the web site and you have to buy the plus level membership to cover trailers up to 23ft it's 99.00 a year.
and the 4 tow's are up to 100 miles and the basic is only 5 miles.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Karl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:10 pm

AAA has an RV program for a not unreasonable added cost beyond the standard program. It will deal with trailer and/or tow vehicle problems and when need be, tow a trailer too when the tow vehicle is disabled and is being hauled somewhere. It is worth looking in to, especially when you camp within 100 miles of home since the PLUS program will tow you at no charge up to 100 miles. Are there better all around programs or better trailer programs? I don't know. I just know that the individual pieces I had with different companies added up to less than one package with AAA.
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm

There are other options out there. One is the "Better World Club" I don't have personal experience, but it seems comparable. For $33 over basic membership it covers RVs. http://www.betterworldclub.com/roadside_assistance/details.cfm.
If I were to purchase an auto club again, I would probably go with them. They are a more "green" club, I have some issues with AAA and their heavy lobbying against mass transit (to keep people in individual cars for AAA benefit) in some areas. That is important to me, but may not be to someone else.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby TheresaD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:29 pm

2 Weeks prior to my maiden voyage with my trailer I upgraded my AAA to Plus RV. I was definitely glad I did when 2 hours into my trip the tow vehicle's transmission went. With the Plus RV I was able to get towed home with the truck on a flat bed and the trailer hitched behind it. I lucked out because I was just under the mileage limit for the tow. It was a huge relief to me knowing that I didn't have to leave my little trailer behind in another state. In my opinion the membership paid for itself in that one instance. I hope I don't have to use it again but I just renewed my membership just in case.

AAA is also a great resource for travel materials like tour books, maps, triptiks, and discounts at alot of local places. I try to get the most out of my membership. ;)
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 pm

I just joined and it was 99.00 + 40.00 extra for the RV coverage. 139.00
I just hope I don't need it but I feel better knowing I have it.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Becca (Cajun Lady) just had a blow-out on her trailer and there are pictures of it being loaded onto a trailer that you can find in the latest Sweetheart Gathering pictures. http://tnttt.com/viewto ... &start=120 I don't know if she had AAA or not; but, if she doesn't chime in, you might ask her.

I've never used it for towing but have used it for a dead battery with excellent success. In fact, they now have battery replacement services, and I did avail myself of that. However, for a lock-out on my Toyota Tacoma a few years back, they came but could not help me and told me to call a locksmith. So, one positive and one negative experience to date.

PS. You say you're getting older; so... I understand the AAA Plus service also includes air-lift service for you, if you are at a campground and some distance from the hospital when you need it, whether it be for a broken bone or something more serious. So this 'Plus insurance' is not just for your car and trailer. It's worth checking that feature out as well.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby goramsey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:49 am

I too have used them. Well worth the money.
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ramseys-T ... 4019963253

Hunger makes a thief of any man. ~Pearl S. Buck
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Fran Lebowitz
http://www.ramseystravels.com/blog/
http://www.ramseystravels.com
goramsey
The 300 Club

AAA Endorsement from me

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:44 am

I've been a member since 1984 and used them for the travel guide books, free traveler's checks, as well as member services. Just last year when we were within a mile of the Ocean Cove gathering my truck conked out (alternator) and we had to pull over on a in the middle of almost nowhere side of the road (Beautiful ocean view though). The truck came out within the hour, it was far away from any major towns, and the guy was able to give us on the spot help. When I returned home I upgraded my membership to include the towing of the vehicle as well as what ever else you were towing. Service will now include two trucks, really far tow to my place of residence or repair, and includes a regular or flat bed truck. I use my member services regularly and the tow or lock-out/bring you gas if needed, etc. I say, for me, and my vehicles, the services are well worth the money spent.
TDN
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:13 pm

I've upgraded to the RV Plus once I started towing an older Scotty.

Once the conversion is underway I'll check that the same would apply to a cargo trailer too.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CaptD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:07 pm

I have the Good Sam Club coverage. Covers all the household vehicles- Van, Honda CRV, motorcycle, boat trailer and cargo trailer. I use to work in 2 different campgrounds and Good Sam was by far the choice of most campers so I went with them. Used them once for towing and was completely satisfied. Capt D.
2015 Pro Line 7x7x24
2001 Ford E 250
2011 WR 250R
2007 KLR 650
2007 TW 200
CaptD
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Karl wrote:AAA has an RV program for a not unreasonable added cost beyond the standard program. It will deal with trailer and/or tow vehicle problems and when need be, tow a trailer too when the tow vehicle is disabled and is being hauled somewhere. It is worth looking in to, especially when you camp within 100 miles of home since the PLUS program will tow you at no charge up to 100 miles. Are there better all around programs or better trailer programs? I don't know. I just know that the individual pieces I had with different companies added up to less than one package with AAA.

A few years ago when our tow vehicle broke down we had our teardrop towed through AAA to a RV campground in Coos Bay Oregon.

The day I purchased my 55 Chevy in Arizona, the transmission failed in the first 50 miles.
AAA towed it almost 90 miles to the town where my brother lives even though there was a transmission shop where it broke down.
It was convenient for us and my brother. The plus and RV programs are well worth the money. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions