condensation on ceiling

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

condensation on ceiling

Postby jonvan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:18 pm

My first Post !!!!

I have a factory insulated 7x18 cargo trailer conversion. Last Fall we (the family of 4 total) slept in it overnight with below freezing temps outside and an electric space heater and heated blankets. In the morning I noticed we drips of water coming off ceiling. Anyone else have this issue? It was very cold "inside" the trailer due to our limited heating. What could be the cause? anyone else have this problem?

Jon
jonvan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wtcreaux » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:14 pm

4 people in a trailer - the probability is moisture from your breathing.

Check out similar problems in tear drops. The answer is usually increased ventilation.
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Welcome to the site Jon.
Almost everyone has this problem every person exhales a lot of moisture which turns to condensation on cold parts of a camper.
mine were the rivits that went from outside of the trailer to the inside seems the rivets were cold and my hot breath and heater caused them to sweat.
others will soon be answering you question with ways to cut down or stop the water drips.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kyle1911 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:26 pm

I will be insulating my ct, as soon as I get it, and this sweating issue is a concern to me as well. I wonder how much of the condensation problem results from little or no vapor barrier. Cargomate offers factory insulation, but they told me it was fiberglass batting, which I wanted to avoid. I have some 1" Iso board waiting for me to pick up, and I am planning to tape all seams with foil HVAC tape. I am wondering if this will cure the problem before it starts? I had thought of adding a layer of Reflectix between the foam and the Luan, but the more I read about that stuff, the more I realized it needs a substantial air gap, preferably on both sides, to realize any R value gain. Sorry for more questions than answers, but I will have 4 people in our trailer as well. Kyle
Kyle1911
Teardrop Advisor

Postby michiganflipper » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:09 pm

we crack the roof vent a bit and have no condensation in the trailer and that was at 80 degrees in the trailer and well below freezing out side
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby len19070 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 pm

I have a "66" Scotty with a smooth interior surface, semi gloss on Masonite.

I got condensation with just me in there.

I found that if you can "SAFELY" burn a candle inside it...I use a hanging Candle Lantern, it almost eliminates it.

But 4 people breathing is a lot to combat.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:56 am

I am in a cargo trailer and use to use blue flame heat. I was getting water dripping behind the un insulated walls until I installed a Atwood Furnace. No more and even with the blue flame I had no drops from the ceiling as heat rises and warmed the beams. Now the back header heavy metal panel was a different thing as the heat was not warm enough to keep that warm. However with a Atwood Furnace you will go through a 20 lb tank in three days in very cold weather. I live in my trailer and watch the fuel constantly.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby jonvan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Funny you mention Atwood furnace, I was just starting to look into one of those. Any tips, model? I should be looking for. We have a 7X18 cargo. Looking for low fan amp draw as one concern, but overall want a good quality unit.
jonvan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Mine is a 6x10 trailer and I use a 17,000 BTU as that is what Rich offered me for $14.00 more up from the 12,000 I had actually bid on and won but I had to get hold of the seller who offered me the best deal after the sale. I thought it was good considering I have no insulation and it does do well. However during the coldest months it uses a 20 lb tank in 3 days. Of course I live in mine all year but only had the furnace since the day after Christmas. B4 that I was using a blue flame which I now got rid of as water dripped behind the walls as the heat was good enough to keep the beams warm so they did not sweat. But again the walls dripped. Will be insulating it this year.

GOTO Hey Russ How you doing. part of the forum in General discussions for pics and other things.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions