When you wired your CT did you run the wiring

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

When you wired your CT did you run the wiring

Postby aqclean » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 am

When you wired your CT did you run the wiring for outlets... over the wall studs or did you drill holes to run the wires or did you run the wire right where the ceiling and walls meet and do drops ? Just trying to figure out how I want to do this. I already insulated so I'm thinking the ceiling/wall. I do wishI would have predrilled the holes.
all advice welcome
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 am

on the ceiling I went over the studs and down the walls I drilled holes but I ran #14 wire to my DC outlets.I ran wires though holes that I drilled for fan at vent hole (no fan in there yet) and lights on ceiling. The AC wireing is romex in my cabnet though the floor in PVC to my front box with plug in there
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kyle1911 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:44 am

What about firring strips on the ceiling trusses? I need to run pex plumbing, and wiring also, and am planning to use 1/2" thick strips on the trusses to gain room between the insulation and luan ceiling panels. Up from the breaker box, down the length of the trailer, using the rounded area between ceiling and wall, and then drops in the walls. The wires/pex that need to cross, go up and over. Seems like running them this way would work, with maybe a few blobs of silicone, or spray foam to adhere wires and pex to the insulation, to dampen vibration while rolling down the road. It's just a theory, as I am waiting on the factory to deliver my trailer still, but it might be an angle. One other trick I used when they were building my house....Before the insulation and rock went up, I videotaped every square inch of wiring, HVAC and plumbing. Saves any nasty surprises if later work is needed/wanted. House is 5 years old, and I have used that DVD probably 10 times, and saved HOURS of work and frustration by having it. Regards, Kyle
Kyle1911
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aqclean » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:29 am

Jst thinking out loud, I have a haulmark transport brand spanking new
from the factory. The way the frame cross members and the wall studds meet I would have a bump where the wires meet. I thought about the fir strips,and might go that way with but only one or two up high on the wall,
to allow space for the wire, sort of like a shim. this might also aid in covering the hard spot between wall and ceiling. I plan on putting in a wall mount dinette in so I will need direct contact with wall and studds at a certain height on the wall.

The ceiling I will most likely run some fir strips,like you suggested. That will make it easy to attach ceiling and run wiring for lighting. I read that before and must have frogotten it.
New trailer,what kind are you getting. My 6x12v took 15 sheets of 2x8 pink insulation with a very little left over.
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kyle1911 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Dave, I've got a 8.5x24ft V-nose on order. It's a Cargomate. These trailers have the rounded junction between the walls and ceiling, so I plan to cut strips of luan to install ata 45 deg angle between roof and wall, with the electrical behind it. Kind of a poor man's crown molding! I'll be using 1" iso insulation, and figure it should take about 20 sheets to do the whole thing. I will seal all the seams with HVAC foil tape, hopefully creating a decent vapor barrier. I called the local electrical supply shop, and they have some shallow metal boxes I plan to use in the walls, for junctions, switches, lights, and outlets. Home Dumbo and Blowes don't stock them, at least not that I could find. Hopefully will have something to report in a few weeks. This waiting game is making me old! Look for updates in the thread "24' V-nose, coming soon, to a thread near you" I am going to attempt to document my progress, and mistakes (?) Kyle
Kyle1911
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aqclean » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:50 am

Wow that's huge!! That should keep you busy. I ordered mine in Dec. picked it up in FEb. I was hoping that it would not come to March. due to the weather. It been cold, the day I cut the insulation, my wife was still visiting my daughter So I cut it in the living room (shHHH!!!), watching movies and in front of the fireplace. I found a good sharp blade leaves no mess.

For the electrical I have mostlly all I need. I am going to use the white plastic boxes that sit on the wall. so I just have to poke a few holes on the walls for wire. The one thing that amazed me is how much wire I am using started with 25ft went back 50 ft/ got to go back one more time for another 25 ft. I stll have not found the lighting I want, ceiling lights have to be low profile, standard height. And I ve been looking for a couple of the swivel lights for wall mounts, I found some for boats 6volt. I was thinking of grabbing, them and rip them apart,so I could use them on 120.
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kyle1911 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:56 am

What about low profile wall sconces for light? I've got them in my house, in a couple of rooms, and they work pretty well, as long as the walls and ceiling are a light color. Nothing to whack your head on that way, and if you cruise the blowout rack at Lowes or the depot, you might find some you can live with for a few bucks apiece. I got lucky yesterday at Home Depot, and picked up 2 12" LED under cabinet strips for $13 each. Those might work in a small space also. They are about 1" thick, and put off a lot of light, not to mention drawing only 5 watts each. There are deals to be had! Regards, Kyle
Kyle1911
Teardrop Advisor

Re: When you wired your CT did you run the wiring

Postby d30gaijin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:44 am

aqclean wrote:When you wired your CT did you run the wiring for outlets... over the wall studs or did you drill holes to run the wires or did you run the wire right where the ceiling and walls meet and do drops ? Just trying to figure out how I want to do this. I already insulated so I'm thinking the ceiling/wall. I do wishI would have predrilled the holes.
all advice welcome

When I wired for outlets I limited outlet placement to only the front of the CT. That allowed me to run the wiring between the horizontal frame rails.

The forward lower area below the galley counter top where the reefer, water heater, etc. are will be boxed in and cabinet doors installed to hide the exposed wiring runs and circuit breaker panel.

Don

d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby aqclean » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 am

They are all great ideas , once I got the ceiling struts in I tie wrap ped them to the side and ran my drops. I did find a light a HD a little pricey. But the other half likes it.

I have been eyeing your build.Looks good. My plan was to insulate electrical/ wall and ceiling, tie downs for bike, large air matress and then go from there. Cabinets ... down the road as we figure out exactly what we want.
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brandonb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Finally figured out how to load pic into photo album! LOL but there is a few that may help on how i ran the wires for the outlets, keep in mind i use my trailer for rc racing and the outlets or a little high for to work surface that will be installed. I also ran pipe for 3 air lines to use at each station that stick out the ceiling. Still have alot of work to finish up
brandonb
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions